Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Something is wrong with Puddles

Love4himies
December 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Something is very wrong with Puddles. It is so hard to describe but like she hiccupping or trying to vomit. Not all the time, just sometimes. It may even be like a cough :shrug:. Her meow is very hoarse and when she purrs, it is continuous hiccups :cry:

She has now taken to hiding :sad:

She is still eating, but won't finish any kibble treats which is very unusual for her.

Tomorrow she will be off to the vet, poor girl. :sad: I hope it isn't serious :cry:, Christmas just hasn't been the same since we put down Snowball Dec 2005. :cry:

growler~GateKeeper
December 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
:grouphug:

Is Puddles bringing anything up at all? White foam/stomach acid?

Is she drinking normally or more?

Can you video tape it to show the vet?

:goodvibes:

Love4himies
December 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
:grouphug:

Is Puddles bringing anything up at all? White foam/stomach acid?

Is she drinking normally or more?

Can you video tape it to show the vet?

No vomiting, she is keeping everything down. I did notice her drinking water yesterday, which is very, very rare for her to drink water as she gets water added to her canned and raw. She has not been drinking water on a regular basis though.

It only lasts a split second so it will be very difficult to capture it, and only happens every once in a while.

She also licks her lips afterwards and seems to be trying to swallow.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Could it be a hairball ?

Love4himies
December 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM
It could be, she had an episode about a year ago, that was very similar except it was continuous for hours. It is the very hoarse meow and the cough/hiccup that has me worried.

The older she gets the harder it is for her to get her furballs out.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe a bit of butter would help her pass it ? If it is a hairball :cat:

chico2
December 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Aww L4H,lets hope it's just a furball:fingerscr
Good Luck to you and little Puddles tomorrow:fingerscr:goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
December 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
No vomiting, she is keeping everything down. I did notice her drinking water yesterday, which is very, very rare for her to drink water as she gets water added to her canned and raw. She has not been drinking water on a regular basis though.

It only lasts a split second so it will be very difficult to capture it, and only happens every once in a while.

She also licks her lips afterwards and seems to be trying to swallow.

The lip licking & swallowing is from nausea which often happens just from attempting to cough/vomit. Like Frenchy mentioned you can try a 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of butter see if that helps at any rate it will coat her sore throat.

sugarcatmom
December 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
A slippery elm bark syrup might also help sooth her throat, and if a hairball is the issue, it can help to push it along. I hope that's all it is.

the gang
December 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
just a trhought, i would put a tad bit of vaseline on her paw to lick, i had my kitty for 18 yrs and it sure did help with her hair balls, good luck brenda and the pins

Love4himies
December 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So I have given her some slippery elm bark and some olive oil mixed with her dinner. :fingerscr

It was time in January for her full check up, so it will just be a month early if I have it done tomorrow.

angeldogs
December 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hopefully it's nothing serious other then a furball stuck.

Chaser
December 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Will keep :fingerscr it's just a hairball :goodvibes:

14+kitties
December 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I have all my finger and toes crossed for Puddles! :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
December 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hope everything ends up being ok!!!! :pray::grouphug::fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Good luck at the vet tomorrow, L4H! :grouphug: And :goodvibes: for Puddles!

:fingerscr it's nothing more than a stubborn hairball!

rainbow
December 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Poor Puddles .....hope it's just a hairball. :grouphug:

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
December 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM
all our fingers and paws crossed for you here too! :goodvibes::pray: Buddy had a severe URI shortly after we too him in that had a lot of those symptoms. :grouphug:

Love4himies
December 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you everybody :grouphug:, I worry so much about her.

All was quiet with her last night, I don't know if it was the slippery elm bark that helped her throat. Gave her some more this morning with her breakfast and all three cats are locked up with DH so she has the whole house to roam without worrying about other kitties.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I hope she's just got a hairball. What time is her vet appointment? :pray: I hope she's okay.

Love4himies
December 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Her appt is at 3 today, so hard to concentrate on anything else. I get very stressed when she has to have any bloodwork because of her age and the kidney damage from when she was a kitten.

rjesak
December 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I hate afternoon appointments - you have to think about it all day! Good luck to Puddles. Lots of :grouphug::goodvibes::fingerscr your way!!!

diandpat
December 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: for a quick and easy diagnosis. Always so scary when they are sick :sad:

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Does she sound better this morning?

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
:goodvibes: for the vet visit this afternoon!

Love4himies
December 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
AG, I am not home long enough in the morning to really notice anything. I didn't hear any coughing/hiccupping last night. She did eat a bit so that is always good :thumbs up.

BenMax
December 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Just saw this....poor baby.:sad:

L4H - I am sure it is going to be ok. Sending good vibes your way.:goodvibes::grouphug:

rainbow
December 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Good luck at the vet this afternoon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
December 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you everybody :grouphug:.

Her lungs are clear, her heart is fine, but there is some wheezing in her throat. He could not see anything stuck or inflammation. Her bloodwork does not indicate any infection.

He mentioned as a cat gets older, their throat is not as flexible or their pappilla (sp?????) become paralyzed and this is what could be happening to her.

Also, if she as a furball stuck in her tummy, it could be irritating her throat.

She is down a half a pound in the last month which he is concerned about. So he wants us to monitor her food intake for the next week.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm glad things checked out. Sounds like she's a healthy girl apart from her throat issue.

Could her weigh loss be maybe because since her throat is irritated she is uncomfortable eating a lot?

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Good news so far, then! :highfive: :fingerscr it's just a temporary hairball irritation and will pass quickly. If she has a stubborn hairball in her tummy, could it have something to do with the weight-loss? Like her maybe feeling nauseated from it, so not eating as much?

angeldogs
December 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Good to hear the vet check was good.and it's a hairball irrating the throat.

rainbow
December 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Glad there isn't anything seriously wrong :thumbs up and hope the weight loss is because of the throat irritation. :fingerscr

Has she stopped the coughing? :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
December 15th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Good news :thumbs up If that is a hairball ~ Puddles :goodvibes: for passing it soon :D

Love4himies
December 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Well, we may have found the cause of her irritation :frustrated: Puddles had the biggest furball :yuck: this afternoon. Not her normal progression in getting a furball out, it is normally preceded by some vomiting (on the rugs of course) before the furball usually comes out.

Last month Sweet Pea cost me $400 for a gas bubble in her stomach, I thought she had an intestinal blockage :yell:.

Anyways, I hope this was the cause of the irritation :pray:

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Wow, this sounds like the culprit. How does she sound since it came out?

Love4himies
December 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I haven't been home, just received the call from DH. He was quite happy, he does worry about her delicate nature, she is his first "sweet girl" kitty :lovestruck: (You know he is the tough military guy on the exterior :rolleyes:)

quincymycat
December 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
So happy to hear about Puddles. If you are like me, you don't really care WHERE the hairball eventually ends up, carpet or floor, as long as it gets out! :D
Go Puddles! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Oh, I hope that was the problem! :goodvibes: :pray: :thumbs up

Great news! :highfive:

Frenchy
December 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
yesssssssss :thumbs up glad it was only a furball :thumbs up

BenMax
December 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Phe..ewwww. Glad Puddles is ok.

Tundra_Queen
December 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Awww poor Puddles. I'm glad she was able to get it out finally! Hope her appetite starts to improve now that she doesn't have that thing taking up food space. :)

Debbie

Love4himies
December 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks everybody, she has gotten a very stern lecture that she is not allowed to change how her body handles these things.:laughing:

14+kitties
December 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
A hairball! Yucky! Poor baby. That's tough to deal with sometimes.
When my kitties get to the point where they are hacking I put good ol' butter on their paws so they can lick it up. It seems to help ease the hairball out.

angeldogs
December 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
That is good that she got the furball out.

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Glad she got the hairball out. :thumbs up

Chris21711
December 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks everybody, she has gotten a very stern lecture that she is not allowed to change how her body handles these things.:laughing:

I'm sure she was listening to you L4H, as all cats do :rolleyes:

Hopefully that is an end to the problem :)

Love4himies
December 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sure she was listening to you L4H, as all cats do :rolleyes:

Hopefully that is an end to the problem :)

:laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
How is she doing, L4H? Can you tell that she's feeling better? :fingerscr

Love4himies
December 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
She is back to her old self, her appetite has returned and she even got a bit of the zoomies.

She can't purr though :sad:, so there is still the issue with her throat.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Aww, I'm sure she'll be purring in no time. :lovestruck: