Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about microchipping

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Hi folks. I've been thinking of getting Phoebe microchipped. I know vets charge a one-time fee to insert the chip. A friend's dog is chipped, so I asked her about any on-going monthly or annual fees. She said there aren't any. Not that I'm complaining :D but why not? I mean, there are these databases out there with all this information being updated and maintained. I'm presuming there are actual human beings on the other end doing the maintenance, which means someone is paying them, right? So, how, exactly, do these systems work if we as consumers are not paying for their upkeep? :confused: Guess I'm just not used to getting something for free - makes me nervous! :eek:

iRONKNiGHT
August 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Footsteps in the right direction :)

Learn more about microchip IDs for pet animals in the US and Canada:
http://akiraso.home.mindspring.com/animals/microchip.htm

i suggest you pay " http://www.akccar.org " a visit

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 09:53 PM
One company was recently fined and ordered to pay back millions of dollars to consumers which were mislead to think their microchipping lasted for life.

The started charging monthly fees and if you didn't pay then your dog / cat was removed from their database.

They are no longer permitted to do this, there was lots of restitution paid.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM
And another question anyone ever had to change the contact info on a chip. For say a stray? (Buca has one) I am hoping I dont need the original owner cause the Hussie left town!

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Hussie lmfho

Well depends on the microchip company

They are safeguarded with passwords and personal information so that pets are not 'stolen' and info changed.

Enjolras
August 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM
i used the AKC Animal Recovery Program microchip...

cost $45 at the vets, and $12 to the company when you sent in the pet's info. thats it, for the (hopefully LONG) life of the pet.

they even send you transfer forms in case you sell or give away the animal...not sure if thats another $12 or not, but since i'm keeping my pup, its not a concern! ;)

sujean
August 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM
all of my 4 cats and dog are micro chipped from the humane society (i did not have to pay for this service) and was told it lasts for as long as the animal is alive. don't know if this just a service in the US?

goldenblaze
August 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
From what I understand from seeing on the news the past little while that as Luba said this company was asking for a $60.00 annual fees and people paid and than got their money back. The reason is because MC were first put in a pet, pet owners were told there was no fee after for anything. Pets owners are told to let the HS or the where ever you get the pet with a MC to always change address as the chip matches the owners phone and address. One more problem is not all shelters and HS or SPCA have a scanner to scan for MC, over the past couple of yrs also the company has changes now make a new chip again the older scanner if one is used can sometimes miss read or not read at all. Something to think about I guess. :)
I don't want a MC in my pet, I believe they do move inside their body and how far down their spine will it really go.
This is only in my opinion ;)

I still have the tags from getmehome.ca great place to have the pets listed mine are there and photo's changed as looks change.

goldenblaze
August 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
And another question anyone ever had to change the contact info on a chip. For say a stray? (Buca has one) I am hoping I dont need the original owner cause the Hussie left town!

You can go to any HS and ask them to scan and if the chips shows up do change your address, they must have the right address onfile if the dog is ever lost. :(
The original owner means nothing... :) you are the future so enjoy.

One more thing I forgot ;) If you got your pup from the HS they would have your address matched already. I was sent a letter from the HS where my Aussie came from yrs ago and it explained all about the fees and how if pet owners moved to updated office file.