Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snow, More now, Still more snow, still snowing...

Gail P
December 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
So I posted some snowy pictures a few days ago when we had just a little, everyone else is posting their snow pictures, but does anyone have this much snow!

My back deck last night

This morning

This evening

and it's still snowing! I love the snow. Love everything about winter, the colder temperatures, the snow, how pretty everything is, all the dogsledding I get to do. But, I do wish that it would come in easier to deal with amounts, not SO much all at one time. School's been out for 3 snow days, everyone on my road is snowbound as there's a car stuck down near the end blocking the plow from getting up the road. Last night my neighbours were out and couldn't get home so I had to go over and take care of their dogs. My dh works for the roads department and he was out all last night working, just came home (had to park down the road and walk up), had a quick shower and bite to eat and headed back out again. I think our area has been declared a state of emergency because we've gotten so much snow in the last 2 days. For Christmas I would dearly love to get a snowblower, then I could spend more time playing in the snow with the dogs and less time trying to shovel it (which has been almost completely pointless since yesterday morning - I'd clear the front porch and steps, go out and do the back deck, steps and the walkway over to the backyard gate and by the time I'd go to put the shovel away outside the front door there would be another 3"-4" on the front porch again.

I normally use a snowmobile to pack down a trail for dogsledding, but it's just a little older machine that is not all that powerful. I packed the trail yesterday morning and it has completely disappeared now, with no hope of me using the machine to groom it as I'd bury it. Today while slogging through hip-deep snow (with my snowshoes, who knows how deep I'd have sunk without them! :eek: ) going out to do chores I watched the horses wading through chest high snow with apparent ease so I got the bright idea of using them to break trail first, then snowshoe, then get out the skidoo and really pack the trail well. I'm only partly through phase one so far. My daughter and I went for a ride around the trail and my old horse that she was riding handled it just fine but the other one that I board had more difficulty. He's got a lower build (shorter legs, deeper body) and a few times he just sunk and then laid on his belly resting. While we were riding my feet were dragging in the snow and sometimes I was up to my knees in it. When he sunk I was sitting in the snow with only his head showing. I don't think I've ever seen a snowfall like this. Where the trail goes through the forest it was so pretty with the trees all hanging with snow. Wish I had the camera with me when we were back there. Maybe tomorrow, we only made one pass around today and thought that was enough for the horses, so I'm going to try again tomorrow. I also want to get some pictures of the dogs playing in this deep snow. They were following the path the horses made but then they'd make their own little side trails as well. They'd sink down so far that they'd be hidden behind the snow and it was like a maze with them following around the different pathways they'd made. Very different and interesting for them.

Gail P
December 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I had the driveway clear earlier yesterday, but last night when dh was going out to town to get gas and milk this is what it looked like when he left. He only got down around the corner before getting stuck, and that's with a 4x4 pickup truck. He was trying to call me to go help him but I was outside shoveling and didn't get his messages. Finally one of our neighbours pulled him out with his truck, and he was able to get to town. Then he got a called into work so he didn't have to try to get home again.

Flurry this evening sitting beside the BIG pile of snow that wasn't there yesterday morning.

Noah almost hidden behind another pile of snow, that wasn't even piled there. It's just the amount that fell, and maybe some that's come off the roof although I don't think any has come down from there yet.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
OMD! Sounds like a bit too much of a Winter Wonderland! :eek: Is it powdery snow, at least? I'd hate to have to clear off a few feet of really wet stuff! :o

It better stop soon or you're gonna hafta start tunnelling :p

aslan
December 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
you could make a really big igloo since the puppers house seems to be disappearing.. holy crap that's alot of snow.

Gail P
December 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
It is very light and powdery right now, thankfully.

The house that's disappearing in the backyard is my daughter's playhouse, not a doghouse, although they'll soon be walking all over the roof of it if they decide to climb the snow mountain. The thing on the back deck is theirs to go in for shelter, it's part of an old homemade Dane-sized crate that dh made from some fencing and 2x4's. Since we no longer needed it as a dog crate for in the house, I set it up on the back deck and covered it with a tarp so it would be a wind/rain/snow break. Then I put a few pieces of wood from the edge of it over to the other railing and draped a carpet over it to the entrance would be covered as well. That's what's directly across from the back door with so much snow piled up on it. The dogs also like to go right under the deck for shelter and with so much snow all around it, it's like a little cave in there now. I make sure when I'm shoveling to leave a space for them to get under the deck. There is also a big doghouse down at the back of the yard, but I haven't made it that far out in the yard since yesterday morning to check if I need to clear out the doorway on that one. Another job for tomorrow.

Frenchy
December 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
omg , we also had a crazy week here but not close as the dump you had ! :eek:

Gail P
December 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
omg , we also had a crazy week here but not close as the dump you had ! :eek:

Not had but have. It's still coming down! And the Weather Network has issued a snow squall warning for my area for tonight.

Frenchy
December 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Not had but have. It's still coming down! And the Weather Network has issued a snow squall warning for my area for tonight.

Still going on ??? :eek: Here we had nothing but warm weather then bang ! 20-25 cms , then yesterday , snow squall too (that's blowing snow right ?) the drive home was horrible , then today -17*C :frustrated:

your dogs must be going :crazy: :laughing:

14+kitties
December 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You must be in the Huntsville area. I feel for you. We have had bitterly cold weather yesterday and today so no snow yet. But we sure have been hearing about how bad it is further north! :eek:

luckypenny
December 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Omd, I'd take all that snow over this bone-chilling cold any day :cloud9:. I don't envy you the shoveling though :o.

Your daughter must love getting to stay home with all the puppers and animals?

angeldogs
December 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM
That's a lot of snow you have there.

rainbow
December 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks like what we had last year at this time. :frustrated:

chico2
December 12th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Gail,I saw there is a snow-emergency up there,about one meter of snow already,WOW!!

Gail P
December 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm not quite in the Huntsville area, we're about an hour's drive southeast. I wonder if they got even more than us. The snow that was coming down last night must have stopped not too long after I went to bed or it must have gotten really windy because it doesn't seem like too much more has built up ourside the doors on the front or back deck. Then again, that's just my observation from inside and letting the dogs out, maybe once I go out it will look different. Could be that it was windy enough to just keep it away from the doors. Guess the car that was stuck down the road must have been moved or towed because the plow was able to make it up the road this morning. I don't think I can shovel the amount that's in the driveway, plus the huge snowbank at the end of it, but luckily I have some good neighbours. My friends down the road have a snowblower that they will probably bring over when they're done their own snow, or other neighbours who have a snowblower on the tractor will help when they can. The ones with the tractor (actually they have 2, but one needs a repair done on the snowblower) couldn't get it out yesterday because the doors to the shed where it's stored were so snowed in.

I don't really mind being snowbound. There's nowhere I have to be and it is really pretty. I just want to get my dogsled trail packed down before it gets milder in the next day or two and makes the snow heavy and packy, or it gets a crust on it if we get the bit if rain they're calling for. Even though the snow is deep, right now it is nice and soft and fluffy and as far as winter emergencies go it could be much, much worse. We have our heat and hydro and it's just snow. I remember the huge ice storm several years ago (in Quebec wasn't it?) that took down hydro lines and trees and left everything coated in ice.

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm with you, Gail. Much better snow than ice!!! Ice scares the snot outta me! :eek:

I hope you manage to get your trail groomed today! :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
December 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Whoa! That's some load o' snow you got :cloud9: So much fun :D

Tundra_Queen
December 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
That is a whole heap of snow!! You have lots more than we do that is for sure!

Looks like the dogs are loving it. Love the snow tunnels. LOL

Dog Dancer
December 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'm with Rainbow, it looks like what we had last year. Yesterday we got about four cm's of snow (about an inch) and tonight they're calling for about 20 cm's - that's enough for me. But by tomorrow afternoon it's going to rain. I could not handle another snow like you guys have. I'd have to quit my job because I won't drive in that. Of course last week on the news Toronto was talking about their 400 snow plows being ready to go. Yesterday Vancouver was talking about our 50 snow plows being ready to go. We so don't have the equipment to deal with snow out here :wall: