Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet owners: Stay away from Saskatoon ...

Charli246
August 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
I have recently moved to Saskatoon to complete a master's degree at the University of Saskatchewan. I think the city is beautiful and the people are friendly. Except I am finding that because I am a dog owner I am neither wanted or allowed to live here.

At the moment, I'm only here for a year. I'm not sure whether I will be staying any longer. So I don't want to make the commitment to buy a home for so short a period. I simply want to rent a quiet, clean place where I can reside with my clean, quiet, friendly, well-behaved dog. I have been phoning ads in the paper, pounding the pavement looking for "for rent" signs and trying to spread the word for the past 2 weeks. I have spoken with over 60 people with residences for rent. I have only had 4 responses that were positive.

Two of the residences were filthy. I wouldn't expose myself or my dog to them. One had been rented that very morning. And the last landlord said that because I had a dog an extra $100 would be added to the rent. No, he didn't say I had to pay a non-refundable, one-time deposit (yes, in Saskatchewan landlords can charge an extra non-refundable "deposit" if you have a pet); I would have to pay an extra $100 per month.

I'm at the point where I don't know what I will do. I couldn't imagine giving up my buddy because of this. He is a great, friendly, fun-loving dog. He's well behaved and has a wonderful temperment. I'd trust him in a nice home more than I would trust some people's children. I'm debating whether to just leave and try to complete the degree somewhere else. I can't live in my car all year.

So word of warning. Unless you're buying a house of your own, if you are a pet owner and considering moving to Saskatoon ... DON'T!!!

Freyja
August 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Bad pet owners ruin it for everyone. Imagine owning property and having it wrecked by pet owners who do not properly house train their animals, ruining carpets, flooring, walls, screen doors and windows. Very expensive and it is something many landlords are not willing to risk anymore.

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM
That is really sad! A lot of landlords will only allow cats and small animals. It's the same story here in Calgary for the most part....something will come along, I'm sure of it! If you're in Calgary, I'll take him in while you're in school! :D

Catt31
August 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
When I first moved out on my own I had 2 cats and it was nearly impossible finding a cat friendly building!! It was horrible, so I know the frustration you are going through!!! When we moved to this house (renting) we didn't have a dog yet - we built up a trust with our landlord then asked him if we could have a dog! Be persistent - something will come along!!!! Good luck!

lperms
November 10th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I live in Saskatoon myself and I agree, it is really hard to find a nice clean apartment or rental property. Just don't go looking at any puppies/kittens from some particular breeders, then you'll really be horrified!

Martine Sansoucy

Puppyluv
November 10th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Call me Albertan, but I wouldn't move to Saskatoon anyways :p (Kidding... kidding...)

K9Friend
November 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM
It was the same when I lived in Calgary 10 yrs ago. Not only were they not dog friendly to potential tenants but to people with children too! I couldn't believe it. :mad:

MyEskii
November 11th, 2005, 01:47 AM
:sorry: to hear that about Saskatoonians.

Come live in British Columbia. Pet friendly people and places here. :pawprint:

:ca:

Sneaky
November 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Nice try Eskii,
but I had a heck of time finding any place to rent here in BC.
Most places wouldnt even look twice because we had a 10 pound Chihuahua!!!
One guy wouldnt rent to us cuz our dog might "scratch the door all up".
Yeah like a chihuahua could do that to a 4 inch think oak door!
Bottom line- not many pet friendly rental places out there period.
People are weird and stuffy and ignorant and thats that.
Good luck, you may have to buy. We did.

catsnatcher-CDN
November 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Same here in Montreal. My dad has the most well behaved 5 yr. old golden retriever and one cat and he jumped on the only appt. that allowed him both. He was searching daily for 6 months.

poodletalk
November 11th, 2005, 08:16 AM
For anyone in Montreal who's looking for pet friendly apartments. Nuns Island you can rent an apartment and the landlords allows you to have two dogs. I am not sure if it says the maxium amount of cats you can have.:)

Puppyluv
November 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I am not sure if it says the maxium amount of cats you can have.:)
Well as far as the city is concerned, it's two cats as well. (No more than 2 cats and 2 dogs per dwelling)

catsnatcher-CDN
November 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Does the law really matter? Isn't it at the discretion of the landlord? What happens if you have your landlord has allowed yout o move in with one dog/cat and you adopt another? Does the landlord have the right to refuse a third if you are still within the law?

Puppyluv
November 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Oh sorry, I guess I wasn't clear, of course the landlord can refuse, even if you're withi the law, but I meant that when poodletalk said "I am not sure if it says the maxium amount of cats you can have" that even if the landlord doesn't care how many cats you can have, the city says two is the max.