Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about Canada...

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Just wondering, is it true that Canadians leave their doors unlocked because they feel so much safer out there? This is really interesting to me since Im a paraniod American bc of all the crime. When I heard this I told my fiance that we should move to Canada bc it seems like such a nice place. However, he said its to expensive, is this correct? Sorry about my ignorance, Ive never really had any interest in Canada until I heard that there was less murder out there and less crime. i was always told bad things about Canada and Canadians, i dont know why people here make fun of them so badly. Well, if you can.. give some input on life out there and what not.. i dont know maybe youll have me as a neighbor one day...

Terrie
August 25th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Only in my dreams

The reason why people make fun of other countries, people, is due to ignorance... Our country is NOT without fault, but yes, much safer in areas..
due i'm sure to our laws and population.
I deal with alot of Americans with my job and they are in awe at how diverse we are. We all live together and don't judge by color. No matter where you go, you can see and please pardon the expression ( a crayola box ) Multi Nationalities.

We can learn so much from each other.

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ouch! I can't believe people say bad things about us! Canada is a great place to live, but it depends where. I don't know about any other Canadians, but I do lock my doors and I even have a security system. Mostly because of paranoia. The cities are expensive to live in, especially big ones like Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary. The housing costs are high in Calgary, but we don't have any provincial sales taxes like most other provinces so that saves a bit. For the most part, Canada is pretty easy going and friendly but all cities have their problems with crime. I'm not sure what people down there think, but we still have big cities with a million plus people and it's not like we all live on farms with no neighbours! I don't know anyone who doesn't lock their doors here in Calgary. If you really want to move here, you should research the cities if you want to live in a big city, and look into real estate costs. Also, there are a TON of jobs in Calgary right now so making money shouldn't be too hard.

Kona Dawg
August 25th, 2004, 06:14 PM
In some cases people do not lock their doors because they feel more like they are actually locking them selves in. My doors are locked when no body is home, but if someone is home, they remain unlocked. I don't live in a huge city, but our pop is still 1 mil. As for American's making fun of Canadian's, I am sure there are just as many jokes going the other way. Heck, we even make fun of our own quite often.

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM
That's so true Terrie! I'm east indian and I was born and raised in Calgary like a lot of other east indian teenagers and young adults I know. Canada definitely has it's faults as no country is perfect, but I know that Canada is one of the best countries to live in, most of the time! :D

Ignorance is one of the things I can't stand from other people in other countries. We do not all live in igloo's, we do have summer, no I don't know Bob from Calgary, and no I do not speak french. I just don't understand how there can be such ignorance between Canada and the US. I totally respect the US and their diverse history. My best friend is from Texas and her husband is Canadian, but serves in the US army as he has dual citizenship. I love my country and it's a lie if anyone ever says that Candians are not patriotic. We are, we're just quieter about it. ;)

Sorry for my rant, but that's my 2 cents for this thread!!! :D

Freyja
August 25th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I think that the reason we know so much about the US is because of American television. If they got CBC (and wanted to watch it ;) then they would know more about us. We all probably grew up watching American television. I remember my shows being interrupted because of Watergate!

iRONKNiGHT
August 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Just wondering, is it true that Canadians leave their doors unlocked because they feel so much safer out there?

you should of posted this in the:
Off topic forum
This is the place to post NON-PET related thoughts or information. Please post all pet related information in the other forums.

since the:

General Forum
This is a general forum where you can discuss pet-related issues.

hopefully someone will come along and move this Thread...

as for the "Subject of the Thread"
Very good Question :)!!

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM
About American Television, that is very true, everyone in the world seems to know everything the US is going through but not always vice versa. I am sorry that Im ignorant when it comes to Canada but I honestly didnt know to much about it until I watch Bowling for Columbine, however, I didnt think you didint have Summer and lived in igloos. lol.. I knew that life over there is quite similiar to us here in the states, just different. I just wasnt sure about the crime and cost to live out there. Im a very paranoid person, I come from a small town out here and now I live in a city and its hard to get use to the homeless and hookers and drug addicts that walk the streets, its scares me. I cant even go to LA. I went there and was holding on to my purse and the arm of my fiance, we had to walk back to the car and leave bc a homeless man came up behind me and ask for change.. I started to scream bc I had seen him following us and thought he was going to rob us! Its sad how scared I am, thats the reason I was asking. When I watched that movie it said Canada has a average of 33 murders a year... The US has almost 12000!!! We lock our doors when were home, when were not, they always have to be locked. Our windows have to be locked. My mom will open her windows once in a while but only to air out the house. If it is not open it is always locked, and she lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere! Just said that there has to be so much hate.

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Did all you know that it is legal in Ontario for a woman to walk around topless? Yup it's true and my daughter and I saw it first hand in Windsor On. My daughter saw a woman walking downtown Windsor topless and said "mommy, why is that ladies boobies out"? I was a bit shocked,I just told her that some people prefer to not wear alot of clothing. You dont see it often except on the beaches. Just a little info about Canada for ya. :D

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 06:47 PM
thats very shocking to me. I would not want my daughter or my fiance to see that. I dont even like watching movies or shows where there is alot of nudity or vulgarity, Hmm.. I didnt expect that.. interesting to know

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 06:48 PM
you should of posted this in the:
Off topic forum
This is the place to post NON-PET related thoughts or information. Please post all pet related information in the other forums.

since the:

General Forum
This is a general forum where you can discuss pet-related issues.

hopefully someone will come along and move this Thread...

as for the "Subject of the Thread"
Very good Question :)!!

Sorry iRONKNIGHT, Ive seen other topics on here besides ones related to pets so I didnt think it would be an issue. Why havent you posted anything on those? Just wondering... I looked at the other ones and you didnt post.

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Like I said, you dont see it very often. At first when the law was passed you did but not so much anymore

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Why did they pass such a law?

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 06:52 PM
I really don't know why they did, maybe to show other countries how "free" we are. I wasn't to impressed with it myself, dont really see a reason for it.

iRONKNiGHT
August 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
I really don't know why they did, maybe to show other countries how "free" we are. I wasn't to impressed with it myself, dont really see a reason for it.

no Offence Coonlover... but you really dont know :(
We're really going off topic here but still makes for good reading :)

On July 19, 1991, in Guelph, Ontario, a young woman took off her top and walked, topless, along the streets of the city. Eventually, she arrived at a residence where she sat on the porch for a period of time. She was seen by approximately 250 people. Some, young men, came to leer; others to object. Some removed their children, who were playing on their front lawns. Traffic was disrupted by cars and buses slowing down to look. Eventually, the police arrived, as a result of complaints, and the woman stated that she was hot and was more comfortable without her top on. She was charged with committing an indecent act in a public place, contrary to s.173(1) of the Criminal Code. She was convicted at trial. The conviction was upheld by the Summary Conviction Appeal Court. On further appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal, the conviction was overturned and an acquittal entered. See footnote 1 1

The Crown in Ontario reviewed the case and decided not to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Canada. It was concluded that there was no likelihood that leave would be granted by the Supreme Court. The public reaction was strong and quite vocal. Hundreds of letters and telephone calls from throughout the province of Ontario came pouring in to the Attorney General of Ontario protesting the Ontario Court of Appeal decision and requesting that some steps be taken to prevent public toplessness by women. Throughout the summer of 1997, many Ontario municipal councils considered and debated the issue of toplessness by women occurring in their municipality and what, if any, action was to be taken about it. Many of them wrote to the Attorney General of Ontario asking for the provincial government to take some action. The Attorney General wrote to the federal Minister of Justice, as did many members of the public from Ontario, asking for changes to the criminal law.

The problem was placed on the table for discussion at the 1997 meeting of the Criminal Law Section of the Uniform Law Conference. After a lengthy discussion, it was decided that further work needed to be done before any specific recommendations could be made. The following resolution was passed:

That a working group of the Criminal Section of the Uniform Law Conference be established to examine the indecency and public nudity provisions of the Criminal Code as well as the legal and constitutional issues related to the feasibility of local (i.e. municipal) regulations and to report back at the next Conference.

This paper reviews the state of the law relating to indecency and nudity, and the question whether local regulations may be feasible to deal with problems of dress in public places.

Canadian Criminal Code
INDECENCY PROVISIONS IN THE CRIMINAL CODE

The current relevant sections of the Criminal Code are sections 173 and 174. They state as follows:

SECTION 173

(1) Every one who wilfully does an indecent act
(a) in a public place in the presence of one or more persons, or
(b) in any place, with intent thereby to insult or offend any person,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

(2) Every person who, in any place, for a sexual purpose, exposes his or her genital organs to a person who is under the age of fourteen years is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

SECTION 174

(1) Every one who, without lawful excuse,
(a) is nude in a public place, or
(b) is nude and exposed to public view while on private property, whether or not the property is his own,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

(2) For purposes of this section, a person is nude who is so clad as to offend against public decency or order.

(3) No proceedings shall be commenced under this section without the consent of the Attorney General.

Other offences in the Criminal Code that contain the concept of indecency are:

Section 163(2)(b) [publicly exhibiting an indecent show]
Section 167 [indecent theatrical performance]
Section 168 [mailing indecent matter]
Section 175(1)(b) [causing disturbance by indecent exhibition]
Section 197 [definition of common bawdy house includes a place resorted to for the practice of acts of indecency].

The development of the law relating to indecency involves all of the above sections. The criteria used by the courts to determine indecency are applicable to any section where the concept of indecency is involved.

Extended information
http://www.law.ualberta.ca/alri/ulc/criminal/enude.htm

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me :p . All I know is that when I go to the beach, (usually Longpoint) I always see women sunbathing topless, I didnt have all that info. Thanks for the lesson in law. :)

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Hmm, now that is all squared away lol, is longpoint a public beach? I just think I would feel uncomfortable being around that and having children see that. There are places like that out here to. Lake Havasu (dont know if you ever heard of it) is one of those places, i have never been there but i guess the girls run around topless and the men give them beads for doing it. Or they simply show their breast and then recieve some beads. I hate when women belittle themselves like that. It makes me sick. They need to get some diginity. <- way off topic.. my apologizes. :)

Delirium
August 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Just like in some states prostitution is legal (Nevada I think?), we have some funny laws too. It comes down to freedom and equality I think. Some women see their top half as just objects of life as opposed to the sexual objects that some other people do. I personally don't go topless however i'm not sure I object to the fact that some other people do.

Its really just about differences. For instance, in Ontario (all of Canada?) marriages are allowed between people of all genders. Whereas the States doesn't fancy having that happen.

Laws are devised by the system supported by the people. So if the people there want it, so shall it be done. Atleast ideally :).

Canada's nice. I lock my doors but my neighbour doesn't. Of course I grew up in the city where as they grew up in the country. We now both live in a semi rural area.

Crime is less then the States however it is increasing, much like in the States. I'm hoping they'll stick a cork in the problem before it gets to be as bad as some of the cities down yonder.

It can be expensive up here however it depends on your location. Again, very similar to the States.

Overall, were very similar, our two countries however we have our own cultures that make us just a bit unique.

Dee

doggab
August 25th, 2004, 08:26 PM
For instance, in Ontario (all of Canada?) marriages are allowed between people of all genders. Whereas the States doesn't fancy having that happen.

Same sex marriage is legal in BC as well.

The city of Vancouver is gorgeous and has a higher standard of living. Real estate is at an all time high. It's very diverse and that's what I love. The city of Surrey, on the other hand, has the highest murder rate per capita so we too experience media frenzy. Sometimes I wonder if BC is the best place for us... then I think we do have the best weather out here in the westcoast! I prefer rain over snow! :p

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Hey Dreams. I was just joking around about the whole yes we have summer, no we don't live in igloos thing! LOL!! I know that a lot has changed since 1801!! LOL!!!

Anyways, yeah, Canada rocks and we do have some strange laws. Look into living here if you really wanna move, it's a great place!

I'm actually thinking of relocating to Texas myself to be closer to our friends. I miss them terribly and now that my friend in the US Army is being deployed to Iraq in Dec., it makes me wanna be there for his wife and step son......

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Yes Longpoint is a public beach, and many people bring their kids there, not myself though. I've been there only a couple times and both times I've seen too much. I haven't brought my daughter there. I dont want her getting any ideas! I felt uncomfortable seeing young children ( especially young boys ) gawking at them, and some of them were much older women who look like they had a few kids themselves, kind of a scary scene :eek:

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 09:15 PM
HAHA, yea I would find that "scary" too. Totally understand not taking your children. I love the fact that same sex marriages are legal. Im not a homosexual but I believe in the same rights for everyone.. color, creed, religion. I am a hispanic women and when I moved to the city I actually had more racist problems then I had when I was living in a small town. You guys also said its very diverse and one mentioned its like a crayon box, that sounds great. I wish more people would be understanding of others. I would never condemn anyone for who they are. ::sigh::

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Dreams, it sounds like you're a closet Canadian! :D Not that it's a bad thing! Just don't take your kids for a walk down Ste. Catherine street in Montreal. The signs on all the strip clubs are almost as explicit as any nude beach! :eek: So ... when are you moving up here, eh? ;)

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Maybe I am, Maybe I am.. :) ... I definitely will take all the advice I can get on where not to venture. It does sound like I have to save up some bucks before I can ever make that move. Ive told my fiance in the past that I wanted to take a trip out there to check it out and see how we like it. Have you guys ever seen Bowling for Columbine? It doesnt have a whole to say about Canada but its a very good documentary that really gives you things to think about. Pick it up if you havent seen it.

hounds003
August 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM
When I read the original post the first thing I thought of was the Bowling for Columbine movie. The movie makers made it look like our low income housing is all new townhouses. We don't have any "real" poverty here. :( If I recall right they filmed in Sarnia where apparently not many people lock their doors. :eek:

We're moving out to Simcoe soon and hubby won't be going to Longpoint! :D

Georgette

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM
When I read the original post the first thing I thought of was the Bowling for Columbine movie. The movie makers made it look like our low income housing is all new townhouses. We don't have any "real" poverty here. :( If I recall right they filmed in Sarnia where apparently not many people lock their doors. :eek:

Georgette

Wait, so the low income housing is all new townhouses or not? Sorry I didnt quite get it, sometimes Im not to fast on the uptake. Yea, every door that Michael Moore went to was unlocked and that that was so strange. Everyone here is afraid of home invasions and what not. I hear disturbing stories everyday. Now that I live in the city, murder is constantly in the news. A little bit ago, not to far from where I live, some guy ran into some apartments and just went on a rampage, shooting everyone in sight. Such scary thoughts.

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Dreams, if you do decide to move here there are a couple things you'll have to learn the very popular "eh", and replace z with zed. ;) Bowling for Columbine was a great documentary, so was Farenhieght 911. I am proud to be Canadian...eh

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Been living in Ontario for 5 1/2 years and I've never heard of Longpoint. Where's that? :confused:

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Georgette

Yea, smart move.. my hubby wont be looking anything not belonging to me.. tee hee

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Its on lake erie in a town called Port Rowen, Im in Brantford close to Simcoe, takes me about an hr to get there. Longpoint also has a campground I hear is pretty nice, haven't camped there myself yet.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:18 PM
My extended family and I have camped at Long Point for years and years, the last couple we have not been able to because its not the same now that my Grandma is ailing... but normally we go and camp and my grandparents great aunt and uncle and other aunts and uncles, we all got sites near one another. Some with motorhomes...and the younger generation in tents! The beach is always clean (the water is debatable- I'm not a fan of Erie since I've been to Port Elgin on Lake Huron...) the people are friendly, it is a family oriented place so not many partiers, and you can stay almost ON the beach, I tented it down there one year. I've also been to the public beach and the campsite area is much nicer sand and a little cleaner. The facilities are clean and you just can't beat the Ice Cream Parlor in Port Rowan. My Dad's family is from all around that area...he was born in St. Williams and my GP's live in Delhi...mom was born and raised in Simcoe. It is a really beautiful area, still a little rustic. You can look up all the info on the Ontario Parks web site. I'm not sure why I have just spewed all that out but the mention of Long POint made me nostalgic I guess!!! :D

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Oh and yes Canada is great!!! And Michael Moore is great!!! But alas no, we do not all leave are doors open...daytime maybe, but living in a tourist town- you are a little leary about leaving your life wide open. Living in a border town all my life, my best friend arriving from the US in grade 10 to live with her dad, having close family friends in the South... You really get to see that for the most part the residents of these countries are basically the same. But in the States you are bombarded with stereotypes and shock news daily...not to say that our news stations haven't jumped on that band wagon! Global news for one....the gore and anger leads most days now :mad: ! Anyhow, we are a little different up here, a little less "gun-toting patriotic" and a little more "proud to be Canadian". :)

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I'll have to check it out, I love to camp! We have always loved Macgregor Point in Port Elgin, the water is nice and clear and we always get alot of raccoons and chipmunks at our campsites so we always stock up on peanuts. The campsites are nice and bushed in for privacy and the bike trails are great too. I heard that the provincial parks are on strike right now, not too sure if its true.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Ya I love that Lake Huron water....wussy hubby always says its too cold and sits all snarly and impatient on the beach while I splash around! :rolleyes:

melanie
August 26th, 2004, 01:01 AM
well bugger me i want to move for a while. i mean same sex marriages, changes to cannibis laws and now laws that allow one to go topless. yep, im in. you will recognise me as the topless one walking down the streets of toronto :D . or as my neighbors see, in my back yard :D :D :D
that is fantastic and a good sign of a normal and happy society. just wanted to point out there are cultures where woman dont wear tops, and they are normal societies to, their children dont oggle as they are used to it and these woman are not raped daily, its a culture thing.
as a female i dont see breasts as sexual objects, they are just body parts like arms and legs that perform a function of feeding and saggy ones dont upset me either, i am quite aware of gravity so i respect it. oh how many hot hot days have i watched the men taking of thier shirts and cooling of, i would so love to cool off also but am constricted by a patriachal system of respect and moral judgement :D just had to put that in :D :D .
nah, i love the nuddy, great way to be and far more cheaper :D :D
yay canada, show us your tits :D

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Ya Ok...these may not be the things we are most proud of here....
I for one say down with the pot smokin, and keep the free flappin titties to yourself!!!! :eek: LOL ;)

The Alternative Lifestyles marriages does show that we are an up to date and accepting country though. :cool:

Freyja
August 26th, 2004, 01:24 AM
There is soooo nothing wrong with clothing optional beaches!!! I took my kids to Wreck beach this summer. We all loved it!! Much better than the poser beach at Kits. Women, men and children of all shapes and sizes just enjoying the sun and sand. The community that spends a lot of time there monitor the activity and if anyone is caught acting inappropriately they are escorted off the beach. I felt totally safe for myself and my children. Of course my kids are "streetwise" and know to report anything that they are uncomfortable with in any situation. We are way too uptight about our bodies and our sexuality. My humble two cents.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I say : Different strokes for different folks. I guess Im just not comfortable with it. Maybe I wouldnt feel that way if "tits" werent considered such a sexual object. I can understand how people can feel comfortable with it if they see the human bodies as beautiful. I think I just wouldnt want someone looking at me saying.." those are nice" or my fiance saying that about someone else. However, I think its great when someone is comfortable with it and when others around it dont make it such a big deal. It shows "character". As for the pot smoking, I didnt know that was legal either. I personally dont mind it. It doesnt harm you anymore than drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes, actually it causes less harm. Not that I smoke it or anything, but I just dont mind that others do. Different strokes for different folks. Wow, I never realized how liberal Canada is. Its so interesting to learn all these facts. If you have anymore, Ill be glad to hear them!

melanie
August 26th, 2004, 02:57 AM
oh i know what my costume will be if i go to a costume party, it will be a special version of a canadian (oh sounds like a cheap outfit if you ask me) :D
im feelin free in the wind :D :D

Terrie
August 26th, 2004, 06:23 AM
i have never been there but i guess the girls run around topless and the men give them beads for doing it. Or they simply show their breast and then recieve some beads.

I thought that only happened on the Jerry Springer show :eek: !!

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I'm not up to date on the most recent pot legislation, but I didn't think it was "legal" per se. I thought they were just changing the law so that posession of small amounts was punishable by a fine instead of prison time. Did I get that wrong? :confused:

I do have a problem with people partaking in any form of drug that alters their perceptions and/or personality, and that includes drinking. If you want to do it in the comfort of your own home,be my guest. But it never stays there, does it? There's enough of a drinking and driving epidemic. We really don't need to add marijuana (sp?) to the equation.

As for topless women, hey, whatever floats your boat. :D I, personally, would never do it (although I learned a long time ago to "never say never" ;) ).

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
See that is where we are to uptight in america,sex wise,compared to other countries,we need to loosen up,,,,,

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM
I guess I dont like the nudity thing out of the digust I have for women who odnt respect themselves. Not saying that Canada is like that, but as I said there are places here like that. Lake Havasu is one where girls just exploit themselves for attention. Its sickening to me. Thats why men treat us as sex objects, if we dont respect for ourselves who will? It is different when people do it because they want to feel natural and see the body differently and as beautiful. As for the pot smoking.. I dont do it either I dont even drink.. but drinking is legal... why shouldnt marijuana be also? Drinking does no good, but marijuana does have scientific proof that it does have health benefits. If people do either its their buisness not mine.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Hey heidiho! Were neighbors! I just noticed that!

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Lake Havasu//Are u in arizona??

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I live in Glendale, I moved out here about a year ago. I live near 51st ave and Northern... Since its so easy to find your way around, Imsure you know where that is...

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Oh my god, ilive on 12 st and camelback

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
It is a small world.. lol.. we really are neighbors, you are not far from me at all. How long have you been living out here?

mastifflover
August 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah canada is pretty good. We are becoming a lot more liberal changing the pot laws, same sex marriages, going topless and we don't have George W living here, how much better could things be. I find most Canadians have loosened up in the last 20 years they are much more accepting of new things.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Yea.. there is another good point about Canada.. No George W. !!

BamaRama
August 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Canada has WAY more than 33 murders on average per year! Perhaps they were talking about just one city? I know that Toronto has had about 33 murders already since January...and there's still 4 months left of the year....And, what with the very public hostage situation, and the two home invasions in Oakville and Oshawa, it's not like you can really get away with not locking your doors, at least in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) anyways.

I did read an article recently though that the murder rate in Toronto is down. Anyways, this article said that, percapita, we have the lowest murder rate of any city in Canada. Hard to believe, but it's true.

The highest murder rate is in Winnipeg.

I wish I could find the article in The Star that stated this...I'm just going by my memory here. I found it quite interesting though.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Hmm.. good to know. That is just what I saw on the documentary by Michael Moore. Maybe he did say in one city. I dont know for sure. Nice to know that his DOCUMENTARY'S are not factual!

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I have lived here off and on for 20 years,i miss the beach that is the only thing i dont like here,but at least we dont have hurricanes,tornados,blizzarts and stuff..

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 01:25 PM
That is one thing that I love about this place is no major natural disasters! yea I just came from Cali and I miss the beach too however I still go about 3 times in the summer so its enough to keep me happy. The last couple times Ive went have been so crowded that it wasnt very fun because it took and hour to find parking, an hour to find a place to sit, and then only and hour to swim! Its just has to many people to have a really good time. I like going to the river with SeaDoos and such. I think thats alot of fun also.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Seadoos are alot of fun,your right....yeah i am not into the crowd thing myself.or finding parking spots...

MBRA518
August 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I guess I dont like the nudity thing out of the digust I have for women who odnt respect themselves. Not saying that Canada is like that, but as I said there are places here like that. Lake Havasu is one where girls just exploit themselves for attention. Its sickening to me. Thats why men treat us as sex objects, if we dont respect for ourselves who will? It is different when people do it because they want to feel natural and see the body differently and as beautiful. As for the pot smoking.. I dont do it either I dont even drink.. but drinking is legal... why shouldnt marijuana be also? Drinking does no good, but marijuana does have scientific proof that it does have health benefits. If people do either its their buisness not mine.

While I agree with you on the people that don't respect themselves thing... but I have no problem with toplessness - or nudity in general really - especially the topless/nude beach thing because usually those are just people that are comfortable with themselves. I've vactioned in areas with a lot of Europian people and nudity is just not viewed the same way by most of them - it's just natural. While I would be shocked by it in an area I didn't expect it, or if the feeling of the area was different - But it's amaxing how much it doesn't bother you when you can sence it doesn't bother anyone else around you.

As for not locking doors... I don't. I grew up in a small country area and crime was low - but even if someone wanted in they could break in and the neighbors were too far to notice anyway - so might as well just leave the door open. And we've always had big dogs too - people usually don't bother. Now I live near Toronoto and the only time I bother locking the doors is when we are away over night or longer - other wise it's open. I mean who's going to open the door with a large dog barking and a "beware of dog" sign with a pic of a rottie on the front door. ;)

As for the 33 murder #.... it was an average over a number of years ( love that Movie) - so it's likely accurate. At any rate our #'s are much much much lower than the US... Actually Canada's #'s are probably lower than Detroit alone!

chico2
August 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Oh yes,do I lock my doors,I even lock the front door when i am in the backyard :eek:
Just this week 3 men terrorized and robbed a family here in Oakville,they got in the house at 3am through an un-locked patio-door.
To all you"prudes"out there,you better not go to a European beach,where they let just about everything hang out,not always attractive :D
Growing up in Sweden,it was fully acceptable for little kids to run around naked on the beach,mine always did,to me a heck of a lot cleaner than going in the water with diapers.
There was nothing cuter than a little kid suntanned all over(pre-skin-cancer fears)running around playing with other little kids,kids are natural,grown-ups give them hang-ups.
But today,with fear of phedophiles and other ugly things,I suppose little kids better keep their clothes on :mad:

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I lock everything,car when i drive,house,and i triple check it also,,,

happydogs
August 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
It's always amazed me how an american asking about canada can motivate so many to stand and be heard!

The one thing that struck me is I have never seen toplesness, nude beaches and Michael Moore mentioned in the same paragraph before!!!! how scary!!! :D

happydogs
August 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
It's always amazed me how an american asking about canada can motivate so many to stand and be heard!

The one thing that struck me is I have never seen toplesness, nude beaches and Michael Moore mentioned in the same paragraph before!!!! how scary!!! :D

melanie
August 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
ah chico, naked child hood memories, make me warm and fuzzy. as a child we grew up on farms and in a pretty laid back farming community, we didnt have to wear cloths in summer properly until we developed real brests, of course we dressed for school and whatnot, but mum had a hard time keeping our cloths on during those long hot summers, funny that she stilll does :D .
Writining4fun, sorry to mislead you, they were recently talking of changing your law to make it decriminalised, sorry for not explaining properly.
as far as woman showing breast for beads in canada perhaps in some touist area such as indonesia, but huh, i dont quite get that one, i have never been given beads for being topless?? how strange.

all this talk of woman not respecting themselves etc, boy it makes one wonder. really havent we evolved into a giant bunch of prudish ppl in the past 50000-1000yrs. my ancient ancestors wore no tops,ahhhh the evolution of the human brain , quite fascinating really

Sneaky2006
August 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM
The whole beads for boobs thing... I thought that was at Mardi Gras in New Orleans?

Terrie
August 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM
As for the 33 murder #.... it was an average over a number of years ( love that Movie) - so it's likely accurate. At any rate our #'s are much much much lower than the US... Actually Canada's #'s are probably lower than Detroit alone!

Living across the river from Detroit, I agree... Since most of my stations are from there, their stats since Jan 2004 are over 800 murders in Detroit alone..
Kinda scary wouldn't you think ? :confused:

As for keeping my doors locked, I have signs all over my yard and home, "Warning Security dog " also I have one that reads " I can jump this fence in 5 seconds .... can you ? with a picture of a GSD "

coonlover
August 26th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I grew up in windsor lived there all my life up until 2 Yrs ago, so I know what you mean with Detroit, most of the new we watched was detroit news , always the first top story was someone being shot or something horrible, we were in Windsor this past weekend and I hadnt seen any detroit news in a while, I can honestly say I dont miss it. I do miss windsor tho :(

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 05:17 PM
The whole beads for boobs thing... I thought that was at Mardi Gras in New Orleans?

Yes they do that at Mardi Gras but they also do it here at Lake Havasu, Im sure there are other places like that but I havent heard of any others, but I havent really ever traveled before so I dont know. I do know that it thats what goes on over there though. Anywho, I dont think Im a prude, I just believe in respect for women. Like I said in an earlier post, I dont think nudity is wrong when its done because people see the body as beautiful and natural, I dont agree when its to gain attention from men and exploit themselves. Yea, Detriot and cities like LA, sadly, are constantly raking up the murder numbers all year round. Scary. Awww, yes, I remember being a naked child as well. ::sigh:: Those were the days. I ran around naked until I had to start wearing a bra. It was to hot to wear clothes... I wish I could run around naked out here! I live in Arizona, todays its going to be 104 and thats not even a warm day!

Kona Dawg
August 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
There's a shwarma place on Elgin street in Ottawa that will give female patrons a free meal for showing their breast's. You don't see too many topless women at the beaches around here though. :(

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
What i find fascinating is like in Amstredam pot,hash,and prostitution is legal,and i NEVER hear about bad crime there,never.................

Kona Dawg
August 26th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Amsterdam is actually the bike theft capital of the world last that I heard.
There are also quit a few pick pocket's and thieve's. My Brother went out there
two years ago come this Oct.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Better than rape,murder..I just never hear about major killing sprees like here in usa..

Freyja
August 26th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Only in My DreamsI guess I dont like the nudity thing out of the digust I have for women who odnt respect themselves.

What does this mean?

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 06:22 PM
104 is heaven...

fisher
August 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I must say I have never locked my doors-during the day-home or not-as long as I've had my dogs! I figure that if someone really wants to get in my house they will- and locks really are for honest people. Now we are not talking about downtown Toronto here-but I truly believe, all & all, we are fortunate to live in on of the most beautiful and safest countries in the world.
All countries have their problems-sure-but come up for a visit and see for yourself what Canada is all about!
Now back to a short note about the dogs-which is why we're all here in the 1st place--my Mum worked in the Insurance Industry for 40 years and was always told by the Police-at lectures and conferences across the country-that nothing will deter a "burglar" like the presence of a dog. This I absolutely believe. Maybe we have more dogs than guns per household than in the U.S.??? Maybe that's our secret!

Delirium
August 26th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I'm not up to date on the most recent pot legislation, but I didn't think it was "legal" per se. I thought they were just changing the law so that posession of small amounts was punishable by a fine instead of prison time. Did I get that wrong? :confused:

I do have a problem with people partaking in any form of drug that alters their perceptions and/or personality, and that includes drinking. If you want to do it in the comfort of your own home,be my guest. But it never stays there, does it? There's enough of a drinking and driving epidemic. We really don't need to add marijuana (sp?) to the equation.

As for topless women, hey, whatever floats your boat. :D I, personally, would never do it (although I learned a long time ago to "never say never" ;) ).

I think the idea behind the law is that there is a difference between a woman going topless and a woman acting sexually inappropriate in public. The law addresses a woman's breasts as just another element of her body, and not an intimate one at that. So theoretically, a woman who takes advantage of this law may not be doing so for attention but in fact because she has a choice.

Dee

hounds003
August 26th, 2004, 08:56 PM
The one thing that struck me is I have never seen toplesness, nude beaches and Michael Moore mentioned in the same paragraph before!!!! how scary!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! Now that made me laugh!

Lady_Eleven
August 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Just wondering, is it true that Canadians leave their doors unlocked because they feel so much safer out there? This is really interesting to me since Im a paraniod American bc of all the crime. When I heard this I told my fiance that we should move to Canada bc it seems like such a nice place. However, he said its to expensive, is this correct? Sorry about my ignorance, Ive never really had any interest in Canada until I heard that there was less murder out there and less crime. i was always told bad things about Canada and Canadians, i dont know why people here make fun of them so badly. Well, if you can.. give some input on life out there and what not.. i dont know maybe youll have me as a neighbor one day...

I think it's safe to say that like most other countries, it varies. Depends on place to place I suppose. I have family in another city that leave thier doors unlocked when they are home, and really it is safe, but personally I lock mine even when I am home (or even just to go get the mail). Sounds paranoid but I've already had stuff stolen from my appartment (I'm guessing its the landlord sadly enough due to no forced entry), had the neighbours try and walk into my appartment while I was home (drunks), and various times had someone turn the door knob seeing if the door was open (the neighbour had the same problem). So I have a safety latch that makes it impossible to open the door when I'm home. A few months ago someone got stabbed down the street, a serial rapist was on the loose, and a few weeks or so ago not too far (atleast not far enough) from here some man was murdered. I personally think this city is way over-rated (I'm not even in what you would consider a "dangerous area"), but on the positive side, when I think about places like the Georgian Bay area, or maybe even PEI (last time I was there, the small time robbery that made it to the news was a guy holding up a store with a bottle, and it wasn't even broken - and this was a big crime) it's the reason I still do love living in Canada (otherwise I'd book it... but to where I don't know lol). What I've noticed is like anywhere else, the more built up and populated a city is, the more crime there tends to be (and I'm sure good stuff happens there too, but you don't see it on the 6pm news unfortunately).

OnlyInMyDreams
August 27th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Only in My Dreams

What does this mean?

I mean like Delirium stated : "I think the idea behind the law is that there is a difference between a woman going topless and a woman acting sexually inappropriate in public." I dont cant stand when women disrepect themselves and other women by going topless in a sexually way in order to get attention from men. Those who do it because its natural for them is completely different. Just different situations. .. and yes heidiho, 104, nice and cool. My brother came out here last week and it was only 100 and he was complaining! me and my fiance looked at eachother and said, "What are you talking about?! Its heaven out here!" When you get use to 114, 100 isnt to shabby!

OnlyInMyDreams
August 27th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Amsterdam is actually the bike theft capital of the world last that I heard.
There are also quit a few pick pocket's and thieve's. My Brother went out there
two years ago come this Oct.

Bike theft capital of the world?? that sounds strange for some reason. :) .. The mall where I work has the highest car thief in my state. Im not sure if its the highest in the west side but I know its the highest for Arizona. I also drive the most stolen car in the US. Saturns are easy cars to steal and I recommend anyone that drives them to get a club. Thieves only need scissors to break into them.

raingirl
August 27th, 2004, 07:46 AM
I've been reading this post but haven't posted yet.

Don't forget that Canada has free healthcare! That's the main reason I would never consider moving down south. If you need to see a doc, you don't have to pay. If you need surgery, you don't have to pay (but you can get upgrades for some things that provincial health coverage doesn't cover). 90% of the services you could need are covered. It's great!

In the US I hear it costs thousands of dollars just to see the ER after a car accident!!

chico2
August 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Raingirl...nothing is free,not even our healthcare...we pay through the nose in taxes and now a new"health-premium"is added(in Ontario)
But all in all,I think most of us are ok with paying taxes,to ensure everyone who needs it get healthcare.
One thing that astounds since coming to Canada,is the general ignorance of any other country in the world,other than the US and Canada.
I actually worked with a girl who did not even know Paris was the capital of France :confused:
When I went to school,geography entailed a general knowledge of the whole globe,not just the country I live in.
Questions I've had,is English your first language in Sweden :confused:
Is everybody naked in Sweden :confused:
Don't get me wrong I LOVE CANADA!!

raingirl
August 27th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but the amount we pay in ontario for taxes and the health premium is less that what we would pay for insurance in the states from the quotes I've seen.

What I don't agree with is the way taxes are devided. This year was the first year I was in the next level tax bracket and it sucked. Because I make a few thousand more in income, I lose more than the extra I made in taxes! That's not fair. After tax, I made more last yeat than this year it seams. Maybe I'm wrong...but that's what it looked like.

I still like to be able to know that if anything happens to me, I don't have to pay for anything or worry about coverage issues.

In canada, they only taught canadian geography really..from what I can remember. And you only had to take it once in grade 9.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
WOW, everyone has health care, I think I had heard that before but I forgot. Thats great, I dont even have health care right now because its so expensive out here. Its so bad that I need to go see a doctor right now for more than a couple issues but cant afford to go. Bear will go see a vet before I can see my doctor. To get full coverage you have to be making pretty good bucks or have an employeer who pays for it. My fiance works at a place that provides it but even if we were married I would not be able to recieve it. Canada sounds better everyday! I wouldnt mind paying higher taxes in order to know everyone, including myself, is covered. Do any of you know what the average min. wage is out there?

shihtzulover
August 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I find wage money and prices vary where ever you live in Canada. I believe min wage here in Nova Scotia is $6.00 an hour. Which isn't that much. But you can also buy a pretty nice house out of the city for about $120 000.
I love living here and would never move, but I would love to have some of the things that Ontario has - like Old Navy and Ikea :)
I find we are little behind in the times down here because we don't have Sunday shopping etc. But our province is beautiful, I love having a 20 min drive to the ocean, and tons of woods to go camping and hiking.

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM
We just got Ikea,buti would rather have a 20 min drive to the beach anyday....

Cactus Flower
August 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Well it looks like I'm coming in late on this thread, but let me just say a few things.

The Canadian murder statistics in "Bowling For Columbine" I believe were for gun-related deaths only.

I live in the U.S - don't lock my doors, and don't need to. When I go out of town, I have to remember to lock the door on my Jeep. All the folks in the town closest to me (I don't live inside town), where I shop and eat, etc- leave their doors open on their houses and cars. It's a very quaint, very safe little "Mayberry".

Just wanted you all to know that there are still places like this the U.S, despite startling statistics and fear- tactic media reports.

mastifflover
August 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM
The problem with the statistics is they are based on big cities and I think both in Canada and the US there are very safe places to live. But I have to agree I think Canada is safer mostly because we don't have nearly as many guns. Which as far as I am concerned the only people who need guns are police and hunters (even though I am not an advocate of hunting that is a choice). Why do you need a gun at all?

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM
So i take it road rage is not a big problem out there like in the usa ??

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I presume you're referring to people shooting at each other on the highways? No, that isn't an issue. But we do have road rage. People chasing each other in cars, cutting each other off, swearing, gesturing, etc... I actually saw a couple of real winners in a pair of pick-ups chasing down a guy on a motorcycle. They blocked him in (ignoreing the fact that they were blocking the whole road for the rest of us, too). The guy on the bike had to jump over the concrete medium to avoid getting his butt whooped! :eek: That's usually limited to larger cities, though.

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 02:08 PM
No they just shoot them out here,it is crazy..

raingirl
August 27th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Being that I work in auto insurance, road rage is horrible these days. getting worse and worse. I wouldn't ever get road rage, but I HATE it when people don't use turning signals!! I only go do far as to shake a fist!

Here is a page on minimum wage:

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/minwage.htm

the cost of living in Ontario is high. Rent is high, buying a house is costly. For a 2 bedroom townhouse in the suburbs around toronto, it's about $250,000 minimum. Condos (1 brdm) in the city are over $200,000.

And insurance rates are HIGH in ontario.

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I do understand road rage,i had a guy swerve around a car that let me out in traffic and he almost nailed my car,then when we started driving he slammed on his brakes i was about an inch away from hitting his car,i was pissed if there was a gun in my car, iwould of shot his damn tires...Ever see Fried Green Tomatos??

coonlover
August 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Toronto is very expensive to live especially to buy a house there, Im in brantford and we are looking to buy its no where near the price of Toronto. For a townhouse here your looking at 90.000 average.

chico2
August 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Dreams,forget about minimum wage,you could not live at least in my area on minimum wage,you could rent a room for $400+,but that's it!!
I have a friend in Florida(Venice)who took a job in a bank,simply to be able to get healthinsurance for her husband.
He needed knee-surgery and as it turns out they did not cover him,because it was a pre-exsisting condition,so for now no knee-surgery,although he is in pain.I could not even imagine that kind of scenario.
We'll happily pay high taxes :D

Terrie
August 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
That's one difference between the countries, regarding road rage, a Canadian might just shoot a finger, while an American would shoot a gun...

It's an eye for an eye. "The right to bear ARMS " hmmmm... what a phrase..

That's why there are 6 year olds killing 6 year olds in the playground... that's why a gun holds more ground than common sense and judgement... It's so easy to pull out a gun and point it as someone... feeling the power and knowing that YOU are in control... WHAT A SHAME !!!!
Kids killing kids for no apparent reason except they've had a bad day or their parents gave them curfews... Too many kids dying...

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
You are right, i would never own a gun,but what he did sent my temp through the roof........................

Cactus Flower
August 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I hesitate to say anything negative about Canada because I have such melancholy, missing it (See http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6014). But I must say that the cost of living in general kept me under a lot of stress. It is an expensive place to live.
Many would people would say that it is worth it, though, because in other areas you'll have less stress- such as crime rates, health care, etc. I think it's just a matter of what your priorities are.

Lady_Eleven
August 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I may have sounded like I didn't like Canada in my last post, but really I do. It's just not this city. In regards to paying a premium for health care now, I'm a little disapointed, but obviously the money has to come from somewhere. Though since they did put this into place, I noticed that the more you make, the more you pay - and if you make under a certain amount, you don't pay at all. It keeps the system from burdening the people who can't afford to pay more. I can't imagine needing certain medical care and being in the situation of not being able to get it because I couldn't afford to (like in some other countries). I was once in Michigan and broke my arm, and when I saw the hospital bill, I was quite shocked (good thing for travellers insurance).

Anyways, looking at some of the issues discussed here in this thread make me kind of sad. I'm not sure it's a thing of being country specific in terms of crime and violence, but something that's going on worldwide. I don't remember things being like this when I was younger, and I'm only 24. Where I grew up you could leave your doors unlocked when you went out, kids could leave thier bike out on the front lawn or on the bike rack at school (not locked up) and not have to worry about it going missing, and you knew who your neighbours were. Most kids at school lived in a house (instead of an appartment) because housing was more affordable, and while practically no one was what you'd call rich, and you didn't have everything you wanted, you were still happy with what you had.

Makes me wonder why things have changed so much.

melanie
August 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM
heidi i have visions of a little blonde woman leaning out a jeep window with a big gun and screaming 'take that you freak. yeeeeeeehaaaaa' bang, bang, lol oh so funny. but i totally understand. i hate road ragers, dont they have anything else to do with their energy, are they so into themselves that someone cutting them off and costing them another 2 minutes in a journey is worth violence and anger, really i dont see it as a worthy cause.
and over here it is bad, a pregnant woman lost her baby last year after a man beat her in front of her other children in sydney (in public road no one stoped it), what was her crime- she cut him off. he was charged with murder for the death of the baby. and that is one example of many incedents annually, gosh im glad we dont have guns, road ragers would be the biggest offenders around these parts.
my husband is always lecturing me on the dangers of psychotic housewives and crazy little men, its not the big men i worry about (recently a housewife i know ramed a car after they gave her the finger, she chased them down and continuously rammed them till the police came). i think all of this is part of the age of self assessment. ppl are so into themselves (unlike 200yrs ago) that the slighest insult causes such offense like 'how dare they do that to ME' well ppl have such high regard for themselves these days that they cannot handle others mistakes or poor manners. when someone cuts me off i always like to remember what it feels like when i am having a bad day and i do something stupid, i always try to assume that the person doing it is not downright nasty, but there may be things going on for that person that are causing them distraction such as extreme worry, screaming kids in the back seat and so on.
every one nees a big chill pill and to step back and think about the value of life and where is a worthwhile place to put energies, so sad it is.

SSAC
August 27th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Wow, what a sad road rage story. It makes me think twice about giving someone the finger :o

Well Canada, compared to the U.K, it's sooo cheap. I am glad that we moved here. I wouldn't have met my husband if I didn't. Hot Newfie by' :D

For us (my parents) it was between Canada and Australia. I wanted Australia bad. My mother has a spider phobia and vetod Australia when she read that the spiders there are deadly. So Canada it was because the spiders here don't eat you or something? Although my mother still freaks out when she sees a fly and mistakes it for a spider. :eek: (get help with that phobia mum)

I do wonder what Australia would have been like, especially when it's -20 outside and I have to go and shovel the pathway. We deceided long ago to get 4x4's, so we don't bother with the driveway :D I picture being at a hot, sunny beach in the middle of winter, drinking Fosters and saying g'day mate :cool:

But I don't regret Canada for a minute, it's beautiful. We lived in Newfoundland for awhile, I will go back there one day for a few years atleast.
South Western Ontario is good for now. I like it because I'm rural. Not a city fan.

chico2
August 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM
SSAC,it was funny you should say that,in 1967 when we emmigrated the FIRST time,we were originally going to Australia,but were informed we would have to stay in a camp for 3 month and the Aussies were to decide where we were going.So Canada it was and we don't regret it for a minute :)
We did move back home to Sweden in 1972,but regretted the move and had to go through the whole emmigration process again to go back to Canada in 1974 and here we stayed.
I actually love the change of seasons,even winter,every season has it's own beauty.I don't think I could handle summer year around,although I LOVE summer,the sun,gardening and all the critters outside.

melanie
August 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
wow chicho, that is amazing, they were going to send you to a type of detention camp, that is horrid and im glad you went to canada :D . a polish family that are friends of my family came here in the 50's, they had to stay on an island in the ctr of sydney harbor (i think it was goat herd island or similar name.used to be for convicts, changed to detention for immigrants, now national park).
these days we dont lock up the sweeds, only those poor buggers that come from really poor countries end up in our long term detention ctrs, yeah real nice (touchy subject):o
SSAC just like anywhere else (except far nth queensland) we have winters too, ahh and they are awful and cold and just yuck, i hate winter. you could only do the winter beach thing on a unusually hot day or in far nth queensland where a freind of mine lives (cairns) it does not get below 25 deg celcius in winter and 20 is considered a cold snap (she keeps ringing to bragg, grrr). ewww fosters, yuck, i am totally a victorian bitter girl and esp partial to melbourne bitter, ohhhhhh yum. funny you mention spiders (i hate them too, hubby has to catch and release outside), my aunt got bitten by a red back the other night whilst collecting wood in the dark. she said her arm was on fire and very swollen within 15mins so she dorve herself to a hospital, where they had to give antivenine and other treatments, oh yuck, my worst nightmare, i like snakes beter than spiders as i can often see where a snake is going and have a bit of a chance. cant spiders in canada bite and kill too??

hey and i just noticed you write mum for your mother, dont you use the american mom?? i thought u all did :p we use mum also

SSAC
August 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Cold weather! say it's not so :( (I bet it never gets -20 c though brrr)
Moved to Canada when I was 18. Went to a grammer school in the U.K, so MUM it is :) . I've found quite a language difference in Canada, in the way things are pronounced and spelt. I guess my son will be "bi-lingual". tee hee.

No deadly spiders here. Unless the black widow has moved up from the states? and only one venomous snake..The mississauga sp? rattle snake.

Hope your auntie is okay.