Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Pawsitive thought for my friends dog

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Please send pawsitive thoughts and prayers from my friends Rotti/Dob cross. Bella is 1 1/2 years old and sadly ate rat poison. She is in very bad shape to say the least, and it's touch and go, she is hemorrhaging internally. She has been at the vet for 24 hours now and they said it was a good sign that she made it through the night. If she makes it a while longer a transfusion may be in order. Her mommy, to say the least feels horrible that the dog got into the poison. Like me she has a mouse in the house, but she hadn't put the poison out, it was in the cupboard and the dog got into it. It's so very sad :sad:

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Sending lots of :goodvibes: and :pray:s for Bella! Your friend must be just beside herself!

:fingerscr that the vets can work their magic with Bella! :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, she is so beside herself and full of blame. I was sick to my stomach when she told me what had happened. She kept asking me if her dog was going to die. I told her to have hope because the dog is young and healthy and she has that going for her. Thanks for the good thoughts Hazel - Bella needs all the help she can get right now.

Melinda
December 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
*sending out good vibes for Bella*.....please keep us posted Dog Dancer

Love4himies
December 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Lots and lots of :goodvibes: for Bella :fingerscr and :pray:

Luvmypitgirls
December 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oh poor Bella, she will be in my thoughts and prayers, I hope she pulls thru.
:pray:

clm
December 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Oh my. I sure hope the poor dog makes it. :pray:

clm

BenMax
December 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
How horribly sad. Pawsitive vibes to this little soul.:goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sadly things are not looking good for poor Bella. My friend has just gone to get her and take her to the Emergency Hospital for a transfusion. Bella's blood levels are continuing to drop and this is her only hope. The vet could have done the transfusion, but then nobody is at the vet clinic at night to monitor the dog, so at the emergency hospital someone is there 24/7. Continued thoughts and prayers please. Sweet Bella was an SPCA rescue last summer.

Elizabeth Ann
December 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
This is so sad. I am so sorry that your friend is going thru all of this.
:fingerscr that everything works out in the end.

mikischo
December 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Sending lots of pawsitive vibes :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for Bella that the transfusions make the difference for her.

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and kind wishes. Bella really needs all the help she can get. I have passed all the messages to my friend to help encourage her along.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
More :goodvibes:, :fingerscrs and crossed :pawprint:s for Bella! I'm praying the transfusions do the trick for her! :pray:

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm sending all the positive thoughts and prayers I have. Poor girl. Hopefully her young age will help her fight this.

:goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr

I hope your next post is with some good news.

Love4himies
December 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Sending more :goodvibes: for Bella.

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
So what's your gut feeling on this my friends. If the dog has already had such a bad reaction, even if she survives it, will she ever regain her health? She has youth on her side, but is that enough if she pulls through the initial poisoning? Just wondering and praying and it's in my brain.

luckypenny
December 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Anything is possible DD. Was she taken to the vets soon after it was discovered she ate the poison? In the case of certain poisons, the earlier the treatment, the better prognosis.

All our :fingerscr and :goodvibes: for Bella and her mom.

rainbow
December 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Bella. :sad: :grouphug:

I agree with LP ...do you know how soon after Bella ate the rat poison she was taken to the vet? Do you know if the vet gave her some Vitamin K?

Sending lots of prayers and good wishes for Bella to pull through this. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
December 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Bella :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

cpostelwait31
December 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Please send pawsitive thoughts and prayers from my friends Rotti/Dob cross. Bella is 1 1/2 years old and sadly ate rat poison. She is in very bad shape to say the least, and it's touch and go, she is hemorrhaging internally. She has been at the vet for 24 hours now and they said it was a good sign that she made it through the night. If she makes it a while longer a transfusion may be in order. Her mommy, to say the least feels horrible that the dog got into the poison. Like me she has a mouse in the house, but she hadn't put the poison out, it was in the cupboard and the dog got into it. It's so very sad :sad:

Hugs and prayers for Bella... Hope she'll be okay soon...

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well I haven't had an update yet this morning on Bella. Last night she was more responsive after the blood transfusions, but her lungs had blood in them and they didn't know if they would have to drain them or not. She was having difficulty breathing. My friend does not know when the dog ate the poison. It was in a bag up on the top of her bedroom dresser and the dog got up and took it but she doesn't know when. The poison was destined to go into bait traps at her mothers house this weekend, and had not been placed on the floor in her own home - she didn't think the dog would steal it off her dresser (way at the back). Anyhow, I'll keep you posted if I hear anything and I will ask about the vitamin K.

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Well I have an update now. Bella did well through the night considering what she's going through. They did have to draw about a litre of blood from her lungs to facilitate her breathing, and that helped her alot. So right now, she's still fighting. I think this is a good sign. My friend thanks you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Her kids have all told her to forget Christmas this year, they don't need anything (her first vet charged her $500 for their days work and the emerg hospital wanted $2000 up front to start treatment and that was based on 75% of their anticipated cost). Needless to say she was in tears when she came to tell me about the kids, they will be one very happy family if their pupper makes it home for Christmas.

BenMax
December 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
So heartbreaking for the family. I am certain that she feels a tremendous amount of guilt. I really feel for her.

The family seems very understanding and loving. They deserve to be happy and I wish them all the very best.

hazelrunpack
December 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Sending more :goodvibes:

Keep fighting, Bella!

ancientgirl
December 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hopefully this is a good sign. She's got a lot of people pulling for her and I'm sure the vets are doing all they can.

Your friend has done a great job teaching her kids. It's not many who would say to forget about Christmas.

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
December 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
What a great bunch of kids to put their dog first like that. you don't see that very often. sending lots of :goodvibes: that she keeps fighting and pulling through.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Oh that poor family. I think it is a good sign that Bella has made it this far. Sending one HUGE :grouphug: to her family and some more :goodvibes: for Bella.

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
LP - you asked about Vitamin K - yes she is getting that, and will have to stay on it for some time after assuming she pulls through.

I have passed all these msgs on to my friend and she is amazed at how kind and wonderful (and smart) you all are. She says when all this settles and she has Bella home again she's definitely going to join us on the forum. Hang in there Bella you have so many people who are pulling for you.

Latest news is that Bella is doing better right now for the most part. They have been encouraging her to try to eat but have told my friend that the next 24 hours will tell if she'll make it or not. Her heart is still beating oddly and is cause for some concern, and one of her hind legs is not working. It's too early to say if it's permanent damage to the hind leg or not though, it may come back or my thought is it could also be from being immobile for three days. So we're hoping that will improve as well, but for right now, my friend is smiling! Yay!!!

Dog Dancer
December 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well Bella is a fighter. She was soooo excited to see her mommy last night! It appears right now that she is paralyzed in one of her hind legs, but I've assured her mom that Bella will learn to live with that if it's permanent. She'd still have it for balance and I told her how many of our members here have tri-pods who are wonderful, happy terrors! The emergency hospital has told her that she should take the dog back to her regular vet now as it does not appear she is in any imminent danger and the regular vet would be much less expensive. The emerg. place has been charging $1600 per night. :eek: So I guess tonight they'll be moving her back to the regular vet for the next few days before hopefully bringing her home. Right now it's very positive, although the vet does warn her that "anything could happen or change", but it's looking so much better. We are all so relieved to say the least. It appears right now that Bella's family should be having a Merry Christmas after all. I'll keep you guys posted though when she goes home (I'm staying very positive that this will be the outcome.)

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
omd, what a relief! :highfive:

:goodvibes: for a complete recovery and for Bella to be home to celebrate Christmas!

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm so glad! What great news. It sounds like she's responding well to treatment. I hope she's able to go home soon.:pray:

mikischo
December 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Wonderful news! Sending more :goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery.

Melinda
December 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
come on Bella, you can do it, so many people who love you are waiting at home

BenMax
December 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Pawsitive Vibes your way Bella...:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Love4himies
December 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I am so happy, this pup has been on my mind since I first read your post. :highfive: :grouphug:

And of course more :goodvibes: for Bella.

We are going to need pics when Bella goes home and the owners become members of pets.ca :D You did warn them about us :crazy: people :laughing:

Dog Dancer
December 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
You bet I warned her that she'd have to post pics. Bella's mom is so excited today! They're moving her this afternoon. Right now on top of the one paralyzed leg she is incontinent. The vet thinks there may be a blood clot in her spinal area and that in time that should disolve and may relieve the paralysis and incontinence, but they are not sure. She also still has some lung issues with blood in the lungs, but as her blood stabilizes they feel that will resolve itself as well. Thank goodness she was so young and healthy that she's been able to fight this so far. Thanks to all for the positive thoughts and prayers. Bella's mom reads this thread with me and it moves her deeply that so many other people out there understand and care.

rainbow
December 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
YAY for Bella. :highfive: I'm so happy to hear that she has pulled through this ......what a little fighter. :thumbs up

Hopefully it is just a blood clot that is causing the paralysis in her rear leg and incontinence and she will be back to normal soon. :fingerscr

Sending lots more :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: her way for continued improvement. :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
December 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes I know I was yelling - I had to... She's gone home and not back to the vets. She has to go to the vet regularly, but she doesn't have to stay. Her blood work came back fine today so they've released her. I told her mom how to fashion a sling out of a towel to help her to move around when she needs to go outside. While she is somewhat incontinent, she has tried to go and do her business outside at the vets. So I told her mom how to help stabilize her until she gets used to the hind leg as it is or until it improves. Especially now that it's going to snow here (very lightly) for a few days, it will be dangerous for Bella to try to go out without help. So happy days!! We are all over the moon. Thanks again for all your vibes and prayers :grouphug: to you all. Now we just have to hope for a complete recovery of her leg.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Oh, that's great news! :highfive: She's quite a fighter, that Bella! :thumbs up

:fingerscr for a good outcome on the leg and incontinence issue!

rainbow
December 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Woooo Hoooo for Bella !!!! :highfive:

Does she put any weight on her leg at all? Or does she hold it up or drag it? Hopefully it is only going to be temporary but one step at a time. Looking forward to seeing some pics of Bella and sending lots of prayers and good wishes for her continued improvement. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

clm
December 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm so happy she's improved so much. Praying that she continues to improve and gets back to normal as soon as possible. Nice to hear some good news.

clm

Magicwildwolf69
December 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif So happy to hear this. i'm glad she's going home. What a great little dog. hope she keeps improving and hope your friend comes and gives us updates :D

growler~GateKeeper
December 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
What a great update :) More speedy healing :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Bella

ancientgirl
December 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm so happy this had a happy ending. It sounds like she's still going to have to be watched for a while, but the good thing is, she's alive and will get better.

Love4himies
December 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I am so happy for them, what a great Christmas present for them :thumbs up

rainbow
December 14th, 2009, 02:11 AM
How is Bella doing now? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
December 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry for not getting on over the weekend, but I had no updates. Bella is doing well. Her vet says yes she is going to make it now. She has some blood in her urine and stools, but it seems to be mostlyl due to her blood being so thing, but they are monitoring it and waiting on more blood tests. Her breathing is still a wee bit laboured, but safe. Her hind leg does seem to have sensation in it, and the vet feels it could be either a blood clot or maybe a pinched nerve. We are hopeful that the leg will come back to full use, but if not, no worries it could be worse. So we're all so very happy that Bella is well on the road to recovery now. I gave my friend my crappy little camera and told her to get a couple of pics because I know I can load them from my camera. So hopefully in a couple days I'll have a pic or two to show you all of sweet Bella.

I almost forgot to say, the Emerg. Vet has a benevolent type award they give out every year from a trust fund, and on the weekend they gave my friend $500 towards her bill as she was this year's recipient.

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hopefully Bella's leg will recover as well as she is.

That was very nice of the vet to help out with the fees like that. It's not easy to find a good vet like that.

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I love that vet! What a kind gesture!

And wooohooooo! for Bella! :highfive: Looking forward to the pictures and more good reports! :D

rainbow
December 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear that Bella is doing well and kudos to the vet. :highfive:

Looking forward to her pics. :goodvibes:

Melinda
December 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
what a wonderful vet!!!! we need more like them in the world. way to go Bella, keep improving honey

Love4himies
December 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
How kind of the vet office :lovestruck:.

I can't wait for pics :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
December 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Many more speedy healing :goodvibes: for Bella.

I almost forgot to say, the Emerg. Vet has a benevolent type award they give out every year from a trust fund, and on the weekend they gave my friend $500 towards her bill as she was this year's recipient.

Wonderful that she was able to have some financial help :thumbs up Bella was in great hands at VAEC. :)

:sorry: somewhat :offtopic: sortof :laughing: :rolleyes: Duffy had a weekend stay there earlier this year so I know how great the vets are at VAEC :thumbs up They were wonderful about asking what canned food I wanted her to have during her stay & administering the Homeopathic treatments with instructions from her primary vet. All of the staff there is wonderful. :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Had my friends kids take a couple pics of Bella at home recovering.

What a cutie! Sorry they're so big, and I don't know how to turn the last one around.

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Got one more, and have it turned right.

ancientgirl
December 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
What a pretty girl. I'm so happy she pulled through.

Love4himies
December 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
She is looking just terrific, Dog Dancer. I am so happy for this family :cry: :dog:

Lucky #11
December 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thank you for sharing that story. I'm so glad to read of Bella's recovery, which I have full faith will be a complete recovery one day very soon. I was even more glad though to see pics of the beauty herself. Thanks for those !

Merry Christmas !!

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thank you all, isn't Bella a cutie! I think in time she will get the use of her leg back. She has sensation in it, they said if you touch her paw she will pull it away, so I think it's just going to be a matter of time with any luck.

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Oh, she's a pretty girl! :flirt:

What a wonderful Christmas present for her family--having her home after such an ordeal! :cloud9:

Frenchy
December 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
ohhh I like the last picture :lovestruck: I'm so glad she's better ! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
December 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Oh what a pretty girl :cloud9: Great news about the feeling in her leg :goodvibes:

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM
She is a beautiful girl. :lovestruck:

Hopefully she will be using her back leg soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
December 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Right now Bella's mom is doing some physical therapy that the vet showed her to do on her hind leg. The leg itself seems to have lost a fair amount of mass already, it's quite a bit thinner than the good leg. She is also chewing on the bad leg, so it appears it may be tingling or something, but they're trying to control the chewing. Other than that she seems very happy and well.

BenMax
December 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Right now Bella's mom is doing some physical therapy that the vet showed her to do on her hind leg. The leg itself seems to have lost a fair amount of mass already, it's quite a bit thinner than the good leg. She is also chewing on the bad leg, so it appears it may be tingling or something, but they're trying to control the chewing. Other than that she seems very happy and well.

DD - I have been doing therapy on Maddox as he as well has a bad knee. He had no muscle at all in the hind end when I first got him. Now his hind end is almost the same size as the other. It does not take long for the muscle to come back. If she puts pressure at the sole of her foot by pushing upwards, is there any resistance? They will be able to tell if the foot becomes rigid and she pushes back or extends the leg outward. Also, does she have any sensation in the paw. You can tell if you put your finger in the middle of the paw, her toes will spread. They can also try tickling the fur on the inside paw which should get a reaction. They can monitor progress using this exercise. If she does this, it's a very good sign.

Dog Dancer
December 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi BM, how is Maddox doing?? My friend said that when they touch Bella's foot she will pull it back, so it seems she has some control. Which is a good sign, but I will print this out for her and let her see it. Thanks.

BenMax
December 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
:offtopic:Maddox is a fighter and doing so much better. Time will tell.

This is a good sign that she feels the sensation. I assume that they have given her exercises to keep her muscles limber?

Melinda
December 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Oh Dog Dancer, Bella is gorgeous!!! so glad she's on her way to a great recovery

Chris21711
December 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Bella sure had the Puppy Gods looking out for her DD...Fantastic news :thumbs up

cpostelwait31
December 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
:crazy: :party: really good to know Bella got through... :thumbs up Let's Call for a Celebration!