Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 more bassets arrive Dec.18th. need fosters

HelenNutmeg
December 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I have a Mill rescue gal.. and a 8 month old sadly.. no one wants..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KHR/USARESCUES/sallyused.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/KHR/USARESCUES/Barley.jpg

Melinda
December 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
how old is the poor rescue gal?

HelenNutmeg
December 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
She is between 2 & 3 years old not sure..

Shaykeija
December 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Oh Helene, I have someone in Timmins who will take the one in the second picture...

Shaykeija
December 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
or even the first one lol. She lost her dog today and has spent a lot of money trying to save it. But the poor dogs kidney's failed..:sad: So she needs someone to love up, and I think one of these will fill the big hole in her heart.

HelenNutmeg
December 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well tell here about me and them and see.. if she does I will try to arrange transport..

Thank You..

chico2
December 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
OMD,look at the face on the mill-girl:sad:,I am glad she's out of the bad place:grouphug:

Shaykeija
December 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Helene, am working on it now. If it is a go, if you can get one of them to Sudbury, I can do the last run to Timmins. It is about 4 hours from here.

rainbow
December 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Shay/Helen, I hope something can be worked out. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

HelenNutmeg
December 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I can get her to Sudbury.. I'm waiting on confirmation.. and a date.. :goodvibes:

Shaykeija
December 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM
still waiting for the lady to call me..

rainbow
December 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Shaykeija
December 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
still waiting to hear from the lady. Printed the pictures and am showing them to people. These dogs are not that well known here. But they sure are cute.

HelenNutmeg
December 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I also have this bunch to help if I can.. Oh and get this.. the last one Dodger won't be adopted because he is black.. he goes on death row..

http://www.bassethoundrescuequebec.com/urgent_bassets_in_peril_help

I can transport them here but need committed fosters

Macomom
December 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
What is up with that Helen? Why won't they adopt out a black dog?

BenMax
December 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ok that is ridiculous. Helene can you help Dodger?

HelenNutmeg
December 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
What is up with that Helen? Why won't they adopt out a black dog?

Black Dog Syndrome
Did you know that Black Dogs are generally the last to be adopted and are euthanised in shelters in much larger numbers? People may consider them too “plain”, think they are menacing, or simply don’t notice them because their dark color makes them disappear in their kennels. Those involved in animal welfare have dubbed this phenomena "Black Dog Syndrome."
According to Wikipedia, Black Dog Syndrome is defined as “the low adoption and high euthanasia rate of black dogs in shelters. Black dogs are often the last to be adopted from shelters.”

Imagine People wont buy or adopt Black Dogs??

For many dogs awaiting US adoption, the speed with which they find a home may rest not on their breed, gender or age but on one trait that has no bearing on their personality or temperament.

Shelter officials have dubbed it black dog syndrome -- the propensity of dark-coated animals to be passed over for adoption in favor of their lighter counterparts.

Can I help Dodger.. Yes if I can find him a foster up here.. then I'd get him on the next transport out.. before he is PTS

BenMax
December 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
If you cannot take him Helen - can you contact another rescue that could assist and bring him up for them? There is another Basset Hound Rescue in Ontario that is excellent.

HelenNutmeg
December 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
BHRO won't take mixes I do..

HelenNutmeg
December 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
still waiting to hear from the lady. Printed the pictures and am showing them to people. These dogs are not that well known here. But they sure are cute.

Shay.. I have a lift for Sally all the way to Timmins.. Dec.22 or 23.. Let me know..

HelenNutmeg
December 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
If you cannot take him Helen - can you contact another rescue that could assist and bring him up for them? There is another Basset Hound Rescue in Ontario that is excellent.

I will bring him up here .. just have to arrange transport.. weather is a factor especially since all transports are on the weekend. I will get this boy..

BenMax
December 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Good luck Helen. So glad you are watching out for these dogs. So sad really that they would consider euthanasia based on color.

HelenNutmeg
December 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yes so many black labs or black lab mixes PTS all the time.. I wish there was a lab rescue..

BenMax
December 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yes so many black labs or black lab mixes PTS all the time.. I wish there was a lab rescue..

There is a lab rescue in Ontario. They do help when asked and providing room available.

chico2
December 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Helen,I am so glad you are able to help this boy,hopefully you can find a foster:pray:

There is also a Black-Cat syndrome,my Chico was left all alone after his siblings found homes and boy,did they miss out on a wonderful sweet cat.
People are just strange:loser:

HelenNutmeg
December 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM

I hope you hear soon.. I have a lift for the dog either sunday or tuesday.. all the way to Sudbury

rainbow
December 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hopefully Shaykeija will have an answer soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Or also would be great if someone else could come forward since help is always needed. :thumbs up

HelenNutmeg
December 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately Shay's lady fell through.. So Sally will come here.. no biggy.. one more..