Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prednisolone for cat's asthma

spilks
December 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My two-year-old cat, Monty, suddenly came down with asthma. He was having attacks and we took him to the vet and the vet gave us Prednisolone to give him. Since the medication, he has gotten better and had less attacks but he still seems to be breathing fast, sleeping more and keeping to himself (hiding under the table). Should I be nervous and take him back to the vet? He has been on the medication now for 5 days. Any other signs to look for if something else is wrong?

Also, we are going away for a few days and am having someone look after him for a few days. Can I have her crush up the Prednisolone pill and put it in Monty's food?

sugarcatmom
December 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Sorry that Monty has asthma, it can be very frustrating to deal with! Another member here, rjesak, also has an asthma-cat and could probably give you some advice. Have you had a chance to check out this website?: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

You might want to ask your vet about getting an AeroKat and seeing if inhaled meds work better for Monty (although it would be easier to wait until you get back from your trip before starting it since it could take a while for Monty to get used to it).

Some other issues that might be related:

What type of cat litter do you use?
What food does he eat (ie wet, dry, brands)?
What sort of cleaning products and laundry detergents do you use (are they scented?)
Do you use any air freshners or incense? Does anyone in your house smoke?

spilks
December 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM
What type of cat litter do you use? - Tidy Cats Scoop Instant Action Cat Litter

What food does he eat (ie wet, dry, brands)? - Dry food everyday - Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken All Life Stages Cat Food but once a week we give him a small 3 oz can of Science Diet

What sort of cleaning products and laundry detergents do you use (are they scented?) - pledge, Fantastik, Tide but have since switched to unscented

Do you use any air freshners or incense? Does anyone in your house smoke?
[/LIST] - no air freshners or incense but we do light Yankee Candles every now and then

rjesak
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
My Oscar has been suffering from extremely bad asthma for quite some time now. It's only been in the past months that we've gotten it under control. That said, although he no longer has coughing or gasping attacks, he still gets attacks of the accelerated breathing like you're seeing.

He was on oral Prednisone for a very long time although we've finally managed to get him off of it (he's still on other medications).

Much of what we did with him was medical:
Two inhalers (the aerokat is a godsend) - one is inhaled Prednisone and the other is Albuterol. He gets these twice a day regardless and then also gets them if he's wheezing or having an attack. This is the best use for them and it's worth looking into at least to ease your mind when your kitty seems to be in distress.
He's on Terbutaline (also a steroid like Prednisone) and on Accolate (which is an antihistamine and antiallergen).

I think what made the difference though, were the changes we made around the house.
A bit of research and a number of vets and people confirmed that many cats have fish and grain allergies. We switched Oscar to an all canned grain- and fish-free variety of cat food. Especially combined with dry food, Prednisone can cause Calcium Oxalate bladder stones (which happened - Oscar had to have the stones removed surgically a couple of months ago).
I got a really high quality air purifier although even a moderate quality one will work. I have one in all the rooms where Oscar spends most of his time.
While Oscar was at his worst, I used Yesterday's News litter - it's dust free. Since he's been healthy again, I switched back to Swheat Scoop which, although it's not dust free, it's much, much lower dust than litters like Fresh Step. He seems to be tolerating it well.
Heartbreakingly, I no longer use my woodburning stove. I love the thing and I very much miss it's heat in winter but Oscar simply can't tolerate it.

It's been really, really terrible watching Oscar go through this so I can sympathize. Unfortunately, asthma can't generally be eradicated but it can be controlled and much of what you do around your house can help.