Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My First -36 day!!

pattymac
December 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Our part of Ontario gets cold in January sometimes but not like this!! There must be a fair bit of husky blood in Miss Bayley....after she went piddle, she had to roll in the snow a few times! Then she really didn't want to come in, more fun to stand in the driveway and bark at a neighbour across the street. I watched her and she was starting to hold up a paw for a bit...silly dog still wanted to stay out! Had to bribe her with a cookie! I bet if she had boots on, she'd still be out!!

Neat that it's this cold...ice crystals in the air in the town closest to us. May have to try the throwing the glass of water in the air...my Mom said if it's cold enough it'll freeze before it hits the ground!

rainbow
December 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
:eek: I can't believe how you can enjoy weather that cold. :eek:

It's -9C with a windchill of -15C here right now and that is more than cold enough for me. :frustrated:

pattymac
December 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
We actually went for a little stroll...not too bad out at all. Course I bundled up well. Bayley got a decent little run in. Few times she held up a front paw but running seemed to cure that problem. She's much happier now, even a 20 minute run helps her mood!!

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ah, rainbow...you're such a wooss! :p

:D

So did you try the cup of water trick, Patty? Did it work?

Equla
December 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I've noticed the sub-freezing temps aren't as bad when there isn't any wind.

My friend went to Michigan during Christmas to visit a girlfriend in college. He said he was out smoking a cigarette and spit... his spit froze before it hit the ground. It was freakin body temperature when it left his mouth and froze into a roundish blob by the time it hit the ground!

I asked him what kind of jacket he was wearing. I don't even know where to buy jackets for that level of cold. I don't even think they are called jackets anymore. Aren't they called parkas or something like that? LoL

Dee-O-Gee
December 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
:eek: I can't believe how you can enjoy weather that cold. :eek:

It's -9C with a windchill of -15C here right now and that is more than cold enough for me. :frustrated:

I'm with you on this Rainbow! :yell:

ah, rainbow...you're such a wooss! :p

:D

Madame, we would be more than happy if you wanted to keep your gazillion minus degree temperatures where you are and we'll take our 80 degree hot & sunny fahrenheit back! :D

Equla
December 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Madame, we would be more than happy if you wanted to keep your gazillion minus degree temperatures where you are and we'll take our 80 degree hot & sunny fahrenheit back! :D

I have a friend that lives in San Diego. She's laughing at my sub-freezing temps because she is in the mid 60s (farenheit) right now.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
We had a high of 21 F today. Heat wave, eh, pattymac? :laughing:

lUvMyLaB<3
December 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Ahhh. . . Aint it great? We hit -52 last night. . . This is when you pray your car starts, forget to plug it in then want to shoot yourself, or drive away with the cord! Snow is now ice crystals and squeaks when you step on it, your lungs hurt when you breath, frostbite just getting the mail, oh i love it! I also love the notice at 7:30 a.m. That because of the temp the school is closed!

And yes the water trick does work! I always put boots on my dogs, i have seen what this cold, and the salt can do, i have muttluks but i prefer a cheaper fleece set, and put the cheaper thin waterproof ones on top. Stay warm patty! Welcome to the prairies! This is when we call -25 a warm snap, no worries only 4 more months till it melts!