Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stopped to smell the Roses!

Dee-O-Gee
December 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
In amongst the gazillions of things I did this weekend, I did stop to smell the roses!

The date is December 4, 2009 and are still growning in a sheltered place outside.

I decided to pick a few and bring them into warmth.

Oh they smell so sweet!:cloud9:

The End!

Frenchy
December 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
that's pretty cool ! snow on the ground and blossoming flowers ! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
So pretty! I can't believe they're still in bloom! :eek: Are they a special type of rose?

Dee-O-Gee
December 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Other than this rose bush being around 25 years old, there's nothing special about it. :shrug: At one point, I thought it was going to die, so I moved it to where it is now and it's been doing great since! :thumbs up

It was left here at our house from the previous owner and we've lived here for 15years. :)

growler~GateKeeper
December 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
That's awesome you've still got blooming roses with a lot of ground cover snow :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I thought roses were considered hot-house plants? So amazing to see one blooming in the snow like that... :cloud9:

Dee-O-Gee
December 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
They are true to warmth. I think I will have to snip off the late bloomers so it can have time to go dormant for the winter.

In any event, it was a nice surprise to snip fresh cut Roses, in December! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
December 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have a couple roses outside also, although we don't have snow yet. My Angels Trumpet plant is in full bloom out in the green house also. Go figure.

Love4himies
December 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Wow, Roses still out in Dec :eek:, and not even in Victoria :eek: :eek:. I didn't think there would be any left in Ontario.

Hazel, there are some beautiful rose bushes that are very hardy, Winnipeg hardy, in fact. They were developed in Manitoba, called the Morden series. I have one called the Winnipeg Parks, DH brought it back on the plane from Edmonton :lovestruck:. Very hardy and don't need winter protection.

The one pictured looks like a Morden Blush.

I would post pics of them but Mr. Buck ensured they were kept pruned down to the stems all summer :o

14+kitties
December 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Very nice. I remember years ago in mid November my mom and I going out to my gardens in Owen Sound and cutting roses. We thought that was amazing. Dec is even better!!

hazelrunpack
December 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Morden series. Thanks, L4H! I'm going to have to see if I can find some at the nurseries next summer... Are they pretty common? Or is there an online supplier somewhere?

Love4himies
December 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Morden series. Thanks, L4H! I'm going to have to see if I can find some at the nurseries next summer... Are they pretty common? Or is there an online supplier somewhere?

They are common in Canada because they are so hardy and still beautiful, but am not sure about the US.

http://www.canadianrosesociety.org/backup/hardyroses/crs_hardy.html#parkland

Another hardy rose that I just love is the Stanwell Perpetual. Very fragrant and while I was in Edmonton, it never needed winter coverage.

Dee-O-Gee
December 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
The one pictured looks like a Morden Blush.

I do believe the one in my yard is an Iceberg Rose (according to diagrams left by previous owners). :shrug:

It's still blooming tonight! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
If it were here, it would be buried in snow. :o

Dee-O-Gee
December 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
If it were here, it would be buried in snow. :o

Yeah...I guess we're in for a real doozie here starting tomorrow. :frustrated:

I did go out the other day and prune the remaining blooms. :sad: but I'm almost certain this is an iceberg variety.

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Whatever it is, it sure is purty! :lovestruck: Is it in a sunny location?