Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Someone please help!!!

Daiana
August 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I'm so upset. I don't know what to do. It was the middle of the night and I got up to go to the bathroom and I heard my dog let out a long cry, so when I went to see what happened, I found him still lying down in his bed, but he wouldn't move. I was talking to him and his eyes followed me, but he wouldn't pick up his head. When I knelt down to touch him, I felt he was wet - he had pee'd!!!! I don't know if my getting up woke him from a dream and startled him, or if he had a seizure or something. He wasn't convulsing or anything, but I don't think all seizures involve convulsions. I got him to sit up, but he didn't want to keep his eyes open and he looked like he was tired. I'm so upset. I took him right away ( at 5 a.m.) to the emergency animal hospital, but they couldn't find anything so I took him right to my vet and waited for them to open. They took him in right away and ran some tests. The vet asked me to put him down and let him walk. She seemed to think he was favoring one leg, and that he might have pulled a muscle or tendon. She didn't seem to think a seizure or stroke was the problem. They took x-rays, and did blood tests, but all the tests came back fine - he's healthy. She prescribed some anti-inflamatories because she thinks he may have pulled something while stretching in his sleep and told me to restrict his movements (no jumping, no walks, no running) for 3 weeks. He's been eating well, has no vomitting or diarrhea.

When I first got to the vet, one of the nurses told me to "expect the worst, so that anything else will make you feel better." I just thought that was cruel. I'm crying my eyes out and she starts listing off things like cancer, tumours, organ failure, etc. Instead of words of encouragement, I got clobbered with those thoughts and images. Then she proceeded to tell me that when her dog had a seizure, his prognosis wasn't good. I wanted to die on the spot. So much for having a good beside manner. He's only 1 year old and I would think he's a bit young for those things but I just don't know.

I'm almost afraid of the answers I'll get, but has anyone ever heard of this?

I'm just devastated and I've been crying since it happened. I want to do whatever I can to help him.

SSAC
August 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Firstly, Speak with your vet about this employee. That's disgusting and would not be tolerated at the clinic where I work. That was just plain wrong! :mad:

Now then, your baby will probably do well on the drug that the vet has given. I'm presuming that it's Metacam or Meloxicam, good stuff, works, make sure baby has a full stomach when it's given. What kind of dog?

I think that your vet is on the right track. Wait and see what happens with the meds. He probably pee'd through fear and pain. Seizures normally involve vomitus as well as loss of bowels. I would doubt that it was a seizure as he was aware of you.

I know that it can be very scary to see you baby lying in pain and not knowing what's going on. You are there for him and that's great. What a good mum. :)

I'm sure that if you vet knew what this employee said, she be horrified!

Spoiled
August 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM
When I first got to the vet, one of the nurses told me to "expect the worst, so that anything else will make you feel better." I just thought that was cruel. I'm crying my eyes out and she starts listing off things like cancer, tumours, organ failure, etc. Instead of words of encouragement, I got clobbered with those thoughts and images. Then she proceeded to tell me that when her dog had a seizure, his prognosis wasn't good. I wanted to die on the spot. So much for having a good beside manner. He's only 1 year old and I would think he's a bit young for those things but I just don't know.

That is so mean! For sure you should talk to the vet about that.

It seems like your on the right track.

Daiana
August 25th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Thank you for your reply. The fact that you work in a clinic and agree with the vet's prognosis makes me feel much better. My dog is a Chihuahua - the one on the picture. The vet prescibed Metacam, and I put 4 drops on his food once a day, so he does get it with a full belly. (Or at least his belly WILL be full by the time he finishes his dose!).
Gosh, I love him so much that I'd do ANYTHING to make him feel better. I can cry just at the mere thought of what happened.

As for that employee, it's not the first time her bedside manner has been out of line. I've seen her question the vet's recommendations right in front of me and other pet owners. Sometimes I leave there and wonder if it really is the vet that's making questionable judgements, or if it's just the employee who thinks she knows better than the vet does.

chico2
August 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Daiana,your Chi is really sweet,I can understand how you feel,but I am sure she'll be ok.
As for the vets assistant I would definetly tell the vet what she said,it was darn right cruel and I would not put up with that.If I was the vet,she would be fired on the spot :mad:
If you are a young girl and a little worried about complaining,don't be,I am sure the vet wants to know and you are a paying client after all.

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Well maybe the fear of the pain made your dog pee.

I wouldn't worry unless things get worse. Chi's have very tiny legs that can be fractured/torn easily..the ligaments are sooo tiny :D

The antiinflammatory a great idea.

Keep an eye on the situation just incase it's more.

Some dogs react through fear more then others. Chi's are generally a little skiddish because of probably their size the poor lil darlins.

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Awwww!!! :( That is so scary! I can't imagine how frightful that must have been! I agree with the others. Give it time on the Metacam and trust your vet. There are puppies that can suffer from seisures, but I doubt that's what this was. My husband's family's malamute did the same thing one night. He woke up SCREAMING in pain!! They were all really scared! He also wouldn't lift his head and he wouldn't move. In the morning, they found that he was limping and after a vet visit, they found out that he had most likely pulled a muscle and after about 2 weeks of limited movements and watching his activity level, it healed up and he was backto normal! :)

I know you want to be sure, but just keep a close eye on him and give it some time to see if he feels better. I'm sure he'll be just fine and back to his old self in no time!!! :D

As for that loud mouthed employee at the clinic, well, your vet should fire her!! What an insensitive cow!! I say that you should tell her to mind her own business and remind her that she is NOT the vet! Some people's children!!! I tell ya! :D

mastifflover
August 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I would be on the phone to the vet right away, that is absolutley intolerable for her to make such awful comments, especially when you are obviously upset it its the last thing you need to hear. I am sure your vet is right about the pulled muscle. Hope your baby is alright.

Daiana
August 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Thank you everyone. You are all making me feel so much better. I know I'd go out of my mind if it turned out to be something serious, but I've read some of the posts and similar things have happened to others which turned out to be nothing. That's really helping me and I appreciate it. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. That's why I love it here - when you feel like there's nobody in the world who really understands how much you can love your pet, you come here and find a whole bunch of 'em!

Thank you again - from both Cheech and me.

I think I will speak to the vet about his "assistant". I still can't believe her behaviour and comments.

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
You could make the complaint in the way of a letter to the vet. That would allow you to organize your thoughts and relate exactly what happened and was said. If the vet is busy, he can read it later when he can take time to really focus on it. Don't just mail it to the office, she may be the one who opens the mail. Mark it personal so that he will be the one to open it. Please keep us updated on your baby! So frightening when something is hurting them and they can't tell us what.

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM
omg, that's sick!!!!

ppl like that should be fired and QUICK!

i had someone tell me today that it's better to buy a new dog for $1000 than to spend $2500 treating the one u've got.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, makes me soooooo angry! :mad: :mad:

talk to the manager of the vet, if anything give him/her a call. it would be much appreciated, i'm sure...

i wish u and ur pup all the best! *hugs*