Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new to raw feeding

happydogs
August 25th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Hello all, I have recently started feeding our two dogs a raw food diet 3 weeks ago. We had always had problems with them going through periods of not eating their kibble or eating it then throwing it up a few minutes later, and were trying different brands of kibble to no avail. Since switching to a raw food diet, we went cold turkey, the results have been remarkable. Both dogs are extremely excited come dinner time, they completely finish their food and they appear much happier and satisfied, and are definately more energetic.

My concern lies in the pre-prepared diet we are feeding them. We first tried the arusha meals but they rejected that and I felt it was too finely ground, almost a pablum, so we have been using mountain dog frozen dog food and they seem very happy with that and is a much courser grind with bone in and mixed with fruit and veggie. we have also been giving them a couple of smoked beef bones through the week as well. Is this a complete diet for them? The mountain dog food is only available in chicken and turkey so we try to mix it up between the two, we don't have the time or equipment to mix a home concoction so we were hoping this would be good for them. should we be feeding some raw bones? Are smoked bones bad for them? Any input would be very helpful.

Cheers to all!

GsdDiamond
August 25th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure about the brand of food you're feeding, but I also feed a "holistic" food, but mine is because of her food allergies.
The smokey bone is also something I give my dog. I tell you, her teeth are SO WHITE...everybody who meets her comments on how beautiful her teeth look. Chewing on a *uncooked* bone is the best. My smokey bones are cow thighs. Lots of meat left on them too. We buy direct from a cattle farmer at one of the local farmer's market.

Perhaps the more senior members could give better input on your situation. I'd also be interested in hearing the answer to your query. :D

coonlover
August 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Just cuious, won't raw meat give a dog worms?

happydogs
August 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the reply! We have also noticed a marked improvement in the whiteness of our dogs teeth after just three weeks! Another item of note is the older dog, Scooby(3yrs), was beginning to have a fairly significant buildup of tarter on the canines, but it appears to be diminishing now.

Cheers!

undefinedI'm not sure about the brand of food you're feeding, but I also feed a "holistic" food, but mine is because of her food allergies.
The smokey bone is also something I give my dog. I tell you, her teeth are SO WHITE...everybody who meets her comments on how beautiful her teeth look. Chewing on a *uncooked* bone is the best. My smokey bones are cow thighs. Lots of meat left on them too. We buy direct from a cattle farmer at one of the local farmer's market.

Perhaps the more senior members could give better input on your situation. I'd also be interested in hearing the answer to your query. :D

happydogs
August 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM
My understanding of this situation is that if the food is properly handled, as you would for human consumption, the risk of infection from worms or bacteria is minimal. Of the research I have done to date there is a compelling argument that a dogs digestive tract is very acidic and quite short , well adapted to process raw meats and expell the waste prior to the development of the bacterial bloom period. I have also read that combining a raw diet with kibble or treats that contain the grains filler you can in effect slow down the digestive process increasing the risk of a bacterial infection, as for worms in this case I'm not sure, perhaps someone else can shed more light on this as I am new to the Raw feeding diet and have been finding a lot of contradictory views on the subject. Thus far the raw diet seems to be doing wonders for our dogs, and they actually enjoy meal time!

Cheers!

sharte1978
August 25th, 2004, 04:17 PM
The best thing is to not cook your bones as they splinter much easier :)

GsdDiamond
August 25th, 2004, 04:17 PM

To my knowledge, raw beef won't do that. Some people even eat raw beef (ground or otherwise). Chefs are the most notorious for doing this.

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Happydogs! I also just started my youngest puppy on raw food as she was having the same issues. She is also eating Mountain Dog. As far as I know, the chicken with bone in with the fruits and veggies, is all they need. They don't add supplements like ground flax seed, or oils as each owner uses their own supplements. With mine, I put in 1/4 tsp. of ground flax seed and 1 tsp. of 1% cottage cheese. You can also give them veggies throughout the week like carrots or yams insted of dog treats. You can also give them some more fruits like apples which is in the Mountain Dog food, or even dried fruits as long as there is no sugar added. The bones you are feeding through the week are fine, but as far as I know, there is no nutritional value to those, just the fact that they are great for their teeth.

I have to agree with you and say that the raw food has been phenominal for my girl. She hardly poops as she is digesting more of the nutrients and she has never been so eager for breakfast or dinner in her ENTIRE life. Sure she's only 11 mths. old, but she did have some issues for a while with her kibble. I got scared cuz she wouldn't eat, she had diarhea for 5 days straight, and she was so weak she could barely lift her head! I thought we were gonna lose her! The vet put her on meds and after a week she was better, but still kicked up a fuss at feeding time. Since the raw food, she has COMPLETELY turned around! I will never go back to kibble!! :D

melanie
August 25th, 2004, 05:35 PM
raw meat will not give a dog worms. your dog should be properly wormed anyway so if the meat was infected with worm it woud not matter and the meat you buy is not affected, only wild meats.
many ppl forget that dogs are traditionally wild animals and are slightly domesticated now. a dog would have eaten a raw diet naturally anyway, we feed dry and modern processed diets these days for ease, hygene, smell reasons, health and so on.

happydogs
August 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your input Heelers rock! It's comforting to hear another positive outcome. I must mention as well our three year old, scooby who is a bijon terrier cross has not any scooting incidents since changing him over to the raw food. The little guy, Mikki, who is a bijon-****zu took a few days to like the raw diet, we had to partially cook it for him the first few days then we were just warming it in a cool water bath and now its straight from the fridge, although there is some concern with the rate at which he wolfs it down, I dont think he's even chewing! I dont think our vet is a proponent of raw feeding as the only link on his website was to an article regarding a couple of cats that had died from salmonella poisining while on the raw diet, but I have asked for his input on the issue and will pass along any information I get.

Thanks again! :)

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Hey, no problem Happy! I am also in Calgary so feel free to e-mail me anytime with any concerns or anything! It's nice to meet people from here that are going through the same things I am!! :D

It'd be cool to organize a puppy play date with your little guys and mine! They'd have fun!! :D

pvcarter
September 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
If you are comfortable with the possibility of salmonella on your countertops and floors, then the RAW diets are for you! Yes in the wild that is how they eat, but we humans are far from wild animals!

LavenderRott
September 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
If you are comfortable with the possibility of salmonella on your countertops and floors, then the RAW diets are for you! Yes in the wild that is how they eat, but we humans are far from wild animals!

Since chicken and eggs are a regular in my family's diet, I suppose there may be some salmonella on my counter tops. Add to that a little beef and you have a healthy dose of ecoli too. But since I clean my counter tops and my floors (which I don't make my kids eat off of, by the way), I am not sure what that has to do with feeding my dogs the best thing for them.

My dogs eat the same meats and vegetables that my family eats, they just happen to eat it raw. It is better for them that way. Proof? Well, just ask people who have known my senior rottweiler for a while. She looks great, has tons more energy and initiates play now. Somethings that she was too tired to do when she was eating kibble loaded with soy, corn, crappy meat and plenty of preservatives.

And we humans may be far from wild animals, but our dogs are not.

Sneaky2006
September 3rd, 2004, 01:41 AM
Very well said LavR!!!

heeler's rock!
September 3rd, 2004, 09:59 AM
I totally agree LavR! I started Kia on raw because she got soooooo tired and sick at one point. I thought I was going to lose her cause she couldn't even lift her head off the ground! Plus I found kibble to be too unpredictable for her tummy. Some days she was fine, others she had diarhea! Since she's been on raw food, totally different dog! She hardly poops at all because she's able to digest so much of it. I am a dog walker and the crap I smell of other dogs is gross. It makes me ask them everytime, "Eeeewwww!!! What are your parents feeding you?!?" :D