Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Deworming

shihtzulover
August 25th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Just wondering- How often do dogs need to be dewormed?

Princesss04
August 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM
My vet told me not to deworm them unless they had worms. I know he said that once a year to take in a sample of their poop and have it tested to make sure and than go from there. That is just what mine said I am sure there are other opinions. I mean have you seen worms on your puppy or something. Or are you just wondering? :D

shihtzulover
August 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I am just wondering. I want to make sure I don't miss doing something she needs. She was dewormed at 6 weeks at the breeders vet, and I believe she has been dewormed at our vet also. I know our vet will probably let us know when she needs deworming again, I was just curious how often this was usually done.

SSAC
August 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I use Heartgard for each heartworm season, this also covers Hookworms and Roundworms (something that they could pick up on their travels). The only time that I've done a fecal on the girls is when I was pregnant. Just to be sure and of course it was negative.

I believe in heartworm prevention. If you use the right product, it'll take care of common intestinal worms aswell. My girls have never had hookworm or roundworm, but with heartgard, they never will. :D (sound like a HG rep don't I)

If you rescue/obtain an animal with fleas, treat for tapeworm atleast.

Tapes will look like sesame seeds/rice segments :eek:
Rounds will look like spaghetti :eek:

the rest, I've only ever seen eggs under a microscope. So if in doubt or an animal has intestinal concerns, unexplained weight loss.......get a fecal exam. :)

shihtzulover
August 25th, 2004, 03:31 PM
She gets heartworm pills every month. Would this be the same as regular deworming?
Thanks

Princesss04
August 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Of your animal has worms you will know it if they get to bad. I would talk to your vet and ask him what he reccomends. When we found Meat Loaf, he had worms so BAD. But, he also had Parvo so they would not do anything about the worms. He had tape and round and who knows what other kinds of worms. It was so bad that we had to buy diapers for him to wear beacause they would be everywhere all the time. It was so gross. So know he has had his first set of shots and dewormer. He goes back this weekend for the second set of shots and worm medicince. He had them so bad that they are still not gone. They are 100% better but not totally gone. He had the poops two days after his worm med and it was gross. I guess that is normal, it just looked like he was trying to get rid of all the worms. :eek:

SSAC
August 25th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Wow Princess! Good for you being there for your guy! :)

Heartworm pills .....technically not regular deworming. depends on what product is used.
Heartgard is heartworm prevention that happens to deworm aswell (2 4 1).
It's just given 6 mths out of the year (heartworm season).
For me, it's just a preferred product. Revolution takes care of heartworm, fleas etc but not intestinal worms.
I like heartgard and I believe in prevention (to a certain degree) and as hooks and rounds are zoonoses (transferable to humans) and I have a 10mth old child that loves his dogs, especially when they lick him (oops) I choose heartgard and to prevent rounds especially.

It's just personal choice. I wouldn't treat for tapes, unless I saw them. :eek:

SSAC
August 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
What heartworm pills do you give her? I always recommend Heartgard. It's a beefy chew. My girls think that they're getting a treat! :D

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
i got Choco @ 10 wks... got him dewormed, all pups should be, anyhow.

and every 6 months, they're on Revolution for heartworm preventative.

and any other worms that may sneak in, they're tested first, then properly dewormed.

goldenblaze
August 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
they're on Revolution for heartworm preventative.

I use Revolution too and when I asked our Vet about deworming she told me that because the boys were both on revolution there was no need to use anything else. I was told this is great for worm, fleas, ticks, worms and scartopic
mange and heartworn. Just wanted to ask how many yrs have you used this prevention, this is my first and as far as I can find there is no problems long term with revolution. I did talk with Pfizer animal health Vet Dr Fisher and she told me no need to worry this will not harm there is no long term effect. I know some dogs with scartopic mange are on this drug for up to one yrs every 15 days so from that it makes me believe it is ok for 6 month at a time. If you have any other info on revolution please let me know.

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 09:00 PM
i love Revolution. i would highly recommand it to practically anyone... (except Luba aka ms. organix :p )

it's excellent for prevention of a LOT of worms, but not all...

Choco did get whip worm.. .but then again, it was the yr i actually forgot to put him on... (vet doesn't send out reminders either) :o

i've posted a thread earlier... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4471&highlight=heartworm+preventative

enjoy :)

goldenblaze
August 25th, 2004, 09:39 PM
i love Revolution. i would highly recommand it to practically anyone... (except Luba aka ms. organix :p )

it's excellent for prevention of a LOT of worms, but not all...

Choco did get whip worm.. .but then again, it was the yr i actually forgot to put him on... (vet doesn't send out reminders either) :o

i've posted a thread earlier... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4471&highlight=heartworm+preventative

enjoy :)

I did enjoy thanks ;) I enjoyed for a very long time lots to read and learn, I even left me comments and brought this thread back up front again. :)

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 09:50 PM
eek, i went thru it briefly... realizing it was the best thread to bring back up... :o

my bad, once again... shesh, it's been SOME day for me... :rolleyes:

SSAC
August 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM
sorry......I took the time to read a box of revolution and I've mis-lead you the idea of it not taking care of any intestinal parasites. It does do roundworms, but only roundworms.

Again, it all depends on preferrence and geographical location. I do prefer Heartgard. If my girls were to get fleas, I'd deal with it with Advantage, but until that happens, I'll stick to HG.

Just FYI..........we advise our collie owners to stay away from Revolution, as alot of Collies (not all) can't handle it. (seizures). But other than that, I know alot of people and pets that are very happy with revolution. :)

Don't you love personal choice syndrome :D

wAggie
August 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
SSAC, i have no idea what ur box says,... but Chocolate's and Honey's both read this (they have 2 different portions, since the medication is measured per size of the animal) :

SSAC
August 27th, 2004, 12:38 AM
same thing on mine....."indicated as an aid in treating and controlling t- canis" (roundworms). that's the only intestinal parasite that it claims to aid.

It's a good product if you want protection from mange, ticks, ear mites, fleas, heartworm as well as rounds. Although the "aids in" would indicate that there's no guarantees. But then there's no guarantees with anything in life.

goldenblaze
August 27th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Revolution can be given to Collies my vet and I were talking about this not more than 6 days ago. Ivomac is what is bad for collies and other types of dog aswell, mainly herding group and boxers. For some reason some breds have a reaction to Ivomac that can be deadly but the amount in Revolution monthly when given the right dose for weight is fine.
That is what my Vet told me and I do know that in my city every vet office is using Revolution more than any other flea heartworn etc.. control. Revolution is made by Pfizer Animal Health and I believe they research before putting item on market and have only the pets best interest in mind. I have never heard any thing bad about Pfizer but I could of missed it to.
If you know of any please let me know. Always interested in learning :)

SSAC
August 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Pfizer is a good company in my opinion. :D
We don't use Revolution with any collies at our clinic due to one having a reaction to the revolution. Admittedly, it was just one, pfizer even paid for the blood work on this dog and was very helpful with everthing. They have a good reputation within the vet community and want it to stay that way. :)

Without going into details (as I don't know if I'm allowed legally). It was deceided that this particular dog was not to receive Revolution again. I'm sure that this was an isolated incident, however we give the collies heartgard now as a precaution. (It's really hard trying to explain to an upset owner that "the expensive liquid that we sold you in good faith was the cause of the seizures" :( ). Again, just one incident and i've never heard of or seen any problems since.

Don't get me wrong, I like Revolution and I like pfizer. I just prefer heartgard for my girls. On doing inventory, we sell Revolution the most, then heartgard, then sentinal, then Interceptor. We don't use program due to it being injected -if there's a reaction, you can hardly wash it off. :mad:

melanie
August 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM
i give daily heart worm tabs that are very cheap and affordable ($3 for 110tabs) daily so i dont forget (if 6 mthly i will definatly forget) (covers hydatid worm, big prob in farm/rural communities) but they do not cover other worms. for those i give a 3mth all wormer made by pedigree pal or similar. this system i have been using for many years simply because it is easy for me to remember this way and also a lot cheaper than 6mth wormers or shots (wont give my dog worm injections) both treatments being quite expensive here.

SSAC
August 27th, 2004, 07:13 PM
$3.00 for 110 tabs!!! Wow that's good!

melanie
August 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM
they are no name brand, that is a brand that is generic, over here it is no name brand. i get them at the supermarket (woolworths), they are called home brand heartworm tabs 200mg. they are really cheap and do work, i have used them for 8yrs and have never had a prob.
i try to keep all cost down as much as possible. :)

SSAC
August 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I really don't think you can get heartworm pills from stores here. But wow I miss Woolworths. Do you have a Boots and a sainsburys? Tesco? I need to go home for a holiday. I need a curly wurly :( Sorry -drifting.

melanie
August 30th, 2004, 05:58 PM
hey sammi are you aussie or kiwi? curly wurly i couldnt live in a country that does not have them, or white knights, yum (apparently the recepie has not changed for over 50yrs). i have heard of tesco but not the others. oh you poor thing, yes come back for a holiday, that is what you need, hmmmmm now you have me interested?
ps for those who do not know a curly wurly and white knight are really yummy chocloate bars with toffee in them yyyyyy-uuuuuu--mmmmmm

wAggie
August 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM
i don't have collies, and more than likely, i probably never will (this is a personal choice, plz dont take offense)

i do research and take insight from others on various issues. and i think it's safe to say that i'm quite happy treating my dogs (pointers) w revolution as a preventative of heartworm and other parasites.

there have been NO side-effects.

:)

goldenblaze
August 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM
You and I both are very happy with revolution and my dogs have never had any side effect and Blaze was on 2 treatments per month for mange.

I really believe that with any meds for our pets we should use what we feel is best and hey listen to your Vet :) Mine says revolution I trust her and feel fine about my choice.

wAggie
August 31st, 2004, 12:24 PM
hehehe, i guess i feel this way bc my vet was indifferent to revolution. i actually brought it up. they were suggesting heartguard or P-something? i can't remember...

maybe they didnt mention Revolution bc they were sold out. ;)

I went and bought my 2 packages the following wk. :p

SSAC
September 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry Melaine, I forgot what thread it was in.
I'm a displaced Brit living in Canada. Craving for all the junk food of home. ;)

melanie
September 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM
oh dear :o , that must be so hard i promise the next time i eat a curly wurly i will think of you and send the yummy vibes your way, promise. i too am a junk food lover and would die if i had to live in the usa for example, ive tried oreos and hersheys and that awful drink doctor pepper stuff, yuck, and find them just the most disgusting things i have ever eaten or drunk, what a waste of good chocolate. if it aint cadburys chocolate, forget it, i would rather go without and even starve to death if i had to, bugger that. again you have my deepest sympathy, i will never take my choc for granted again :rolleyes:

SSAC
September 1st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Melaine -you are such a laugh! :D Love it!

Sneaky2006
September 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM
Mel, we have cadburys chocolate in the states... unless it is not the same?
Sorry for the hijack...

SSAC
September 2nd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't taste the same. I did find a "brit" store that sells Yorkie bars (no ref to dogs) and curried twiglets for scandalous prices!
They also had refreshers and jacobs clubs :D

i guess we are way off topic now :o mmmmmmmmmmm Topic a good chocolate bar ;)