Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An accident waiting to happen...

onster
December 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
I was just casually informed by my mom that she lets both cats out every morning in the back yard till they come back themselves :wall:

Apparently they cry when I am away and beg to go out?

But what is WORSE is that when I got upset she said oh honey they come back you dont even know what happened Mon night. What mom? "Your dad had his friend over and he left around 9pm or so...well at 1am when i was drifting off to sleep (my mom stays up late), i realized i hadnt seen bunduk for a while. I asked your dad if he possibly got out when he was letting his friend out and your dad said "impossible". Well I got out of bed and looked and looked around the house for him. Finally I opened the front door and who was on the step and shot inside? A big puffed up Bunduk. He went straght to the food bowl and ate and ate :laughing:"

O M G..that was the front door! were a corner house and there's no fence!!!! We are sooooo lucky he stayed or came back/didn't get taken!!! The few times hes been on leash with me in the front yard in broad daylight he's tried to go into the neighbour (with huskies) yard like 4 times in a row-v stubborn.

Now my mom did say that was an accident and of course she'd never purposely let him out the front yard...

but..

*sigh*

This is how it starts with indoor-outdoor cats..you let them out a bit. They come back. They start to go out for longer, you get a false sense of security because they always come back and them WHAM one day they don't.

I have to have a long talk with my parents.

Equla
December 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
My parents are the same way. I can't seem to talk them out of letting the kitties out even though they've lost 2 cats recently.

I have an escape artist that we have to watch very carefully. He got out before last Thanksgiving and didn't come back until Christmas Eve. We were panicked the whole time.

Glad everyone is back in the house and safe. Just keep an eye on them. Once they get out, they seem to want it more.

onster
December 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Equala weve lost our first cat in Canada this way, TY :rip: he was given to us as in indoor-outdoor. Returned after a night out like clockwork for the 6 yrs we had him...till he vanished without a trace. Broke my heart...all our hearts.

I found this site when I was looking for him actually and then started posting after I had grieved and adopted Onnie, whom we vowed would be indoor only.

We all agree we wouldnt let cats out again. But I suppose things get lax overtime, you forget...you think it won't happen again.

I am not willing to lose another cat that way though and not willing to go through that pain again. :sad: With Ty we didnt know better but we sure know better now.

Macomom
December 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Sorry that you had to experience losing a pet like that.
My parents bought me a cat in my childhood, who was an indoor/outdoor cat. I have only had 2 cats in my whole life, and he was the last one.
He got killed by the husky next door one afternoon. My family was so devastated.
I hope that your family gets on the same page and everyone agrees to keep Onnie inside.
'Cause he is so darn cute.

chico2
December 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Onster many,many years ago,I felt cats needed to go out on their own,my cat I had as a child,got his head split open by a kid with skates on:sad:
A SiameseX we took with us from where we used to live and moved in to this house was an indoor/outdoor cat,one winter he did not come home.
He was found in a snowpile by the road,all I could see was his fluffy beautiful tail:sad:

Also my Maine Coon kitty escaped and was found by a neighbor in his car-engine,my cat survived,but was badly hurt,this was many years ago.

Have a very serious talk to your mom and dad,remember how everyone felt when Bunduk was missing,including us on the Forum:sad:

ownedbycats
December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Onster - there was a thread a while back (not long) where all the dangers of an outdoor cat were listed, and links provided. Maybe someone will remember the link or you can find it. Having the list of possible dangers handy when you talk to your parents may help convince them.

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Onster, yes definitely have a talk with your parents. Look at the scare you had when Bunduk escaped and the guy wanted to hold him for ransom. I'm all for letting cats out and enjoying nature, but only if you have a nice enclosure for them so they don't get out of the safety of your yard/home.

Bunduk and Onnie need to be safe.

Love4himies
December 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, Onster, that is an accident waiting to happen :sad:. I remember how I felt when Bunduk went missing :cry:.

It only takes one time for a car accident to happen, to eat poison, to be killed by a dog. One safe time doesn't mean the next time will be. Please talk to your parents.

14+kitties
December 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Oh my hon. I am so sorry this is going on. It can't help you concentrate on studying. :grouphug:
Is there any way you can convince your mom to either keep the boys in 100% of the time or at the very least build an enclosure for them outside so they are safe? We all know the perils. A new one to add when you talk to your mom.... the lab. People going around picking up cats, stray or not, to take to labratories for testing. They get paid so much a cat. They really don't care if the cat is owned or not.

A great site for different styles of cat enclosures..........
http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

They attach to the house. You can even have a cat door put in that leads right into the enclosure. That way they can come and go and no one worries. I think that would be the safest for them. You could also tell her if she insists on letting them out then you are taking both of them to school with you!! That should get her.

hazelrunpack
December 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I was thinkin' the same thing, onster--tell them you're taking the kittehs back with you!

Course, that won't help when you're on vacation. :o

edwina
December 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I agree with 14+ if they must go out please put them in an enclosure that will keep them safe. :pray: I would be so upset not hearing about Bunduk's little adventures in the house. I have become attached to him. :cry: :cloud9:

onster
December 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks all I agree with all you had to say and appreciate your support.

14+, edwina, the enclosure is a great suggestion but I dont know if my dad will agree...

I may indeed be taking them with me in my apartment over the winter semester if my parents can't promise me to either a) go out with them in the backyard like I do or b) just keep them inside.

I'll update you all for sure ...I would just be gutted if anything happened to my babies :sad:

What with this and ongoing tension with my SIL im having a hard time focussing for my finals :frustrated:

krdahmer
December 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I really hope your parents listen! They just have to realize that even though the kitties are gonna pout, they'll get used to not going outside just like they got used to going outside. It's just a matter of your folks have to be more stubborn than the kitties, and know that they are doing whats best for them by NOT letting them out. It's just too dangerous especially if they're not out with them. :grouphug::goodvibes:

14+kitties
December 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I guess I should have said the enclosures go right up against the house but don't have to be attached. Most of them are really attractive. I particularly love the first one on the first page. It is very stylish. If anything it would add to the value of your home. Not detract from it. It's a little paradise for kitties which could quickly be turned into one for humans if need be. Or it could be taken down and moved.
It really is not safe for them outside. Especially at this time of year with the snow and plows.

Frenchy
December 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
onster , you need to tell your parents that these cats are your kids and as grandparents , they must respect your choices about their upbringing :)

krdahmer
December 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
onster , you need to tell your parents that these cats are your kids and as grandparents , they must respect your choices about their upbringing :)

:thumbs up I like that Frenchy!!!

rainbow
December 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
What with this and ongoing tension with my SIL im having a hard time focussing for my finals :frustrated:

Maybe you should tell your parents that the stress of worrying about Bunduk and Onnie going outside is affecting your ability to study.

Good luck .....we can't have anything happen to them. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
December 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
14+,those are some great enclosures:thumbs up

clm
December 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM
My parents also let their cats out, but they have them trained to stay on their property. Don't ask me how they have done it, but every cat they have only goes in their back yard, up their driveway and on their front lawn. They never leave to go to another yard, no matter what the temptation. Their newest cat (his name is trouble), was a stray and he is the same. Trouble likes to go out with dad in the morning while he's putting around in the garage. Their female cat likes to bask on the front porch if mom is out there or on the picnic table in the back yard. As soon as mom and dad head back in the house, the cats run in right after them, almost afraid that they'll be deserted.

clm

budgrrl
December 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
love those enclosures!! great idea!
i, too, had a kitty that i would let out - however, she was a rather hefty girl (she prefered 'fluffy')...she would help me in the garden, and lounge on the deck with me...however, i was very confident that if she ever tried to 'run' away, i would be able to catch her in an instant ;) i wouldnt dare it with aslan - even with a harness on, i am always hovering over him as i would not be surprised if he managed to get out of it!

i hope your parents see your point of view and respect your wishes :)

chico2
December 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM
clm,my 3 are the same,they don't even go out until they have their collars on and hubby goes out first:cat:
If hubby goes in to get something they all wait for him to come back out,they don't like to be alone for a second.

Luvmypitgirls
December 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Onster, I hope you talk to your parents and I hope they respect your wishes.
The people to the left of me (across the street) recently moved out. They had 6 boston terriers, and a boxer and two huge cats.
Their cats are indoor/outdoor, and last night my husband was positive that he seen their one cat perched on their deck railing and then later on the fence. They moved out over a week ago. I was sure I seen the one cat too,just a couple days ago following some other neighbors up the street behind them and their dogs.

Hubby went over with a flashlight last night to see if he could find him, no such luck. He wanted to go in and check the shed because it was left wide open, to see if the cat took shelter in there but the gate was locked and the fence is too high for my hubby to scale over. So just incase, he tossed a huge cup full of Kitty food over the fence.
I noticed people at that house this morning, so hopefully if the cat is around they can help him.