Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kenmore vs Lennox furnace

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Okay, so has anybody got a mid efficiency furnace by either of these two companies? Good or bad / better or best? Kenmore is the Sears brand and Lennox well it's Lennox.

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Who makes the Kenmore brand?

I know my good friend bought a Lennox and had problems with it within 2 years. I am a Carrier fan, myself.

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
See now the fellow from Sears who is pitching us the Kenmore said it's made by the same company as Carrier. I think I saw on the internet that Kenmore is made by ICP or IPC. Will have to look again.

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.residential.carrier.com/products/furnaces/gas/index.shtml

Here is a link to Carrier.

I don't know anything about the ICP furnaces.

http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/furnace-ratings.html

Are you on oil, is that why you are looking for a mid range? We had a top of the line Carrier in Edmonton and LOVED it. It was high efficiency and our gas bills were lower than any of our neighbours.

aslan
December 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
i'm with Love4 on the carrier high efficiency. When we did the reno's that's what we put in. Check and see what insentive the government in your area is giving too. I know in ontario they will refund a certain amount if you replace the furnace or water heater.

rainbow
December 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've heard that Carrier is the best but they are more expensive. We have a cheapo Frigidaire (two years old now) and haven't had any problems with it. We had a Lennox when we lived in Kitimat for 10 years and never had a problem.

Also, the mid efficiency furnaces are being phased out right now and won't be sold anymore.

As far as the gov't incentive I think it might just be for the high efficiency furnaces. :shrug:

aslan
December 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
we figured with the saving in heating bills with a high efficiency it would work out in the wash. i'm pushing for a tankless water heater now.:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Okay, I'm looking mid efficiency because our current furnace is about 50 years old. It's gas forced air. Unfortunately it is in the basement suite of the house, and in order to put in a high efficiency we'd have to tear quite a bit of the ceilings out to put in new duct work and draining. So we've decided we'll go mid, which will still be superior to what we have. That said, I have heard that the Canadian Gov. will stop allowing the sale of mid efficiency furnace come Dec. 31/09, so we kinda need to decide now. I don't think we'll go Carrier just because it's too expensive right now, we're just finished three years of reno's and the furnace is an extra. I'm leaning towards Lennox, which is a bit more than the Kenmore, but it's a name I know, I have to do some more research though.

aslan
December 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
i know kenmore for washers and dryers and stuff.. i would check out warranty programs for both DD.

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Most of the warranties are pretty standard 5 years for all labour, 10 years for parts and 20/25 years for the heat exchanger. I have Kenmore appliances also, but am not certain about a "lifetime" kind of purchase.

edwina
December 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Ok i wouldnt buy any thing kenmore. My 2 main reasons are, that one there products are not that great, but my biggest reason to not buy it, is that sears is the only ones that will touch them. You cant get the local repairmen, or anyone like him to fix it because sears wont let them have the parts. I know, we have bought kenmore in the past, not anymore. :frustrated: