Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Border Collies only! And fall into line!

Gail P
December 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
On many occasions I've noticed that when taking a break from running around playing, my BC's will separate themselves from the other dogs and form their own little group. I snapped a few pictures of them all grouped up together yesterday but it wasn't until I looked at the pictures on the computer that I noticed something interesting. Not only did they form their own little group, they were very orderly about it too and lined up by size, largest to smallest. :cool: Probably wouldn't work out that way again, but it gave me a little chuckle. This shot really shows the variety of sizes, although it also makes Rain look smaller than she actually is. She is not really too much shorter than Dru in height.

From left to right we have Flurry (about 25"), Storm (22-22.5"?) Dru, Rain, Blaze (only 4 1/2 months so not done growing)

growler~GateKeeper
December 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
:laughing: Nice line-up BC's :dog: :highfive:

Gail that's a great pic :lovestruck:

Ryan48
December 3rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'd be in heaven with all those dogs....

Beautiful

Rm

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Wonderful pic of your border collies, :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Macomom
December 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Very nice, Gail P. I have observed that with Rottweillers too. They seem to like to hang out together :)

JanM
December 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Great picture of them!

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Birds of a feather! :laughing: They do make a lovely grouping...they're showing off for the camera. :D

Gail P
December 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
So first I noticed how they ordered themselves in a line, now I noticed something else. See where they're standing? In between the sticks I've put up as trail markers for when we get enough snow to start grooming my dogsled trail. Maybe they're saying "okay, we're on the trail let's go!" :D

Even though the trail basically follows the perimeter of that field and it's easily seen when it's groomed, if we get a big snowfall it disappears and the field looks completely flat and white. The wind whipping across doesn't help either. A couple of times in the past I've misjudged where the edge of the packed trail was hiding and buried my snowmobile off the side of it in deep soft snow. I'm not a big person and I have a bad back so it's almost impossible for me to get the darn thing out of the hole and back onto the trail so now I mark it out in the fall before the snow comes so I can avoid having that happen.

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, I think you're right! They're definitely looking forward to the sledding season! :laughing: That's just too cute!

Our guys do the same thing when we start pulling their blaze orange vests and collars out in the fall. They so look forward to getting out in the woods that they will set up camp by the gear! :laughing:

rainbow
December 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Yep, the looks on their faces definitely says they're anxious for sledding season to start. :D

Cute pic. :lovestruck:

Gail P
December 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Soon. Hopefully in about a week I can start putting my trail in if the predicted forecast is correct. For my area they're calling for snow almost every day from now until Friday, accumulating to 31-44cm by then with the biggest load coming on Wednesday. Right now we've just got a dusting of snow that came down yesterday. At least the temperature is cold enough right now that the mud has frozen up.

I've been doing dryland runs with the dogs on my training rig since back in August. I'm hoping to condition them up better than they were last year, and I think I'm going to leave Thunder out of my race team this year and replace him with Flurry who is much faster (now that he's matured - I didn't want to push him too hard too young since he grew so fast and so huge!). So far they're showing an improvement of about 2-3mph faster than last year at this time. :thumbs up I use a cycling computer on my rig so I can keep a training log, detailing information from each run like the distance, time, average speed, maximum speed etc.

doggy lover
December 6th, 2009, 10:56 PM
hey they are border collies how much smarter do you get a dog of course they would be organized...LOL

Gail P
December 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
hey they are border collies how much smarter do you get a dog of course they would be organized...LOL

Think I'd be pushing it if I asked them to organize all the gear and load the truck too? :laughing: ;) Actually Lightning almost "dresses" himself when it's time to harness up. I hold up the harness and he sticks his head in, then lifts first one foot then the other to step into it. I don't have to pick up his feet, I just tell him "lift"