Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oi...Not feeling too well after H1N1 shot

onster
December 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Ive got the aches and chills. Feel warm too. Had to leave my lab early this morning then had a nap from 12 to 5:30..had some tylenol cold and flu...but im still soooo achey :sad:

:yell:

Apparently some kids feel this way after the shot :rolleyes: My immune system sucks.

Equla
December 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
To be expected when you get a vaccination. All the side effects (fever, chills, runny nose, etc.) are just your body's way of fighting off the infection. Since you got a virus in the injection, your body is just learning how to kill it.

I looooooove Theraflu. Make sure you get the old school kind that you drink in hot water. I feel better immediately. Makes me sleepy, though.

Hope you feel better soon.

onster
December 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
hi equla, usually I get the seasonal flu shot but never react this way..only soreness at the injection site but other than that Im good to go.

Maybe i reacted this time because im in the more high risk group (early 20's with asthma), who knows :shrug:

But I am beat. I cant stop shivering and i have no appetite whatsoever. Have the aches bad and coughing. Didnt expect it because most of the ppl around me who got it just got a sore arm if anything.

what's theraflu? is it like neocitran?

onster
December 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have to say tho if what Im feeling is just a very mild version of how you would feel when you actually get H1N1, I really am glad I got vaccinated!!

Equla
December 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM
what's theraflu? is it like neocitran?

That's exactly what it is. I had to look it up, hehe! I guess in the states, it's marketed as Theraflu and in Canada it's Neocitran. Even the litte pouches it comes in look exactly the same.

As for the more severe reaction, it could just be that your body is having a harder time fighting the virus. There are two different vaccines... one is a dead virus and one is a disabled virus. Imagine a cockroach with no legs. It's still alive and you have to actually go kill it, but it can't really do anything. That's the disabled virus. I would imagine (and I'm not a doctor, so...) that the disabled viruses are a little harder for your body to deal with since your immune system has to actually go kill it.

If you still feel icky tomorrow, I would definitely stop in and see your GP. Sometimes people have allergic reactions to the ingredients in the vaccine.

As for the appetite issue... I am the same way when I get sick. The only thing I can talk myself into "eating" is a smoothie. I just pack them with protein and peanut butter and all kinds of calories. They taste pretty good and I don't feel like I am actually eating something... just feels like a drink.

Food is way important, though. The more calories you can get into your body, the more energy it will have to fight the bugs off.

Chris21711
December 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hope you feel better soon Onster :grouphug:

SIL
December 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Onster...I hope you're feeling better today. My son had a bad reaction to the H1N1 shot, he also has asthma and allergies so it probably goes hand in hand. He had a bit of a fever and really bad hallucinations at night...he was waking up in fear. Thankfully it only lasted 3 nights and everything is fine now. My other 2 kids and I didn't have any problems except for the sore arm which lasted about 3 days. Hubby was a bit down and out for a few days...just lack of energy but all is back to normal now.

breeze
December 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Onster I hope you are feeling better today.

:goodvibes::fingerscr:grouphug::grouphug:

onster
December 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks ladies :grouphug:

I basically had one horrible night, sweat it out with the only thing i had on hand (tylenol cold n flu ..tho I'll stock up on neocitran 4 the future thnx equla :))

The next day I was soooo happy because I woke up feeling way better :thumbs up. My throat keeps hurting on and off tho still

Yay for my immunity now :D

thanks again all :grouphug:

Equla
December 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Glad you are feeling better. I was thinking about you today wondering how you were doing.

rainbow
December 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hey Onster, so glad that you are feeling better :thumbs up .......you certainly can't be sick when it's almost time for your awesome vacation. :cloud9: