Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cold Hands

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Does anyone else have cold hands all the time ....especially this time of year? :frustrated:

It's not all that cold out yet but this afternoon when we took the dogs for a walk there was a bit of a breeze. I know my hands always get cold easily so I took along my mitts but by the time I got home my fingers were stinging. :frustrated:

It's not even winter yet :yell: ....does anyone have a solution to keep my hands warm. :D

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
How are dh's hands? If they're warm enough, you just gotta make sure you hold 'em! :p

Personally, I use hot flashes to keep warm...all year round :rolleyes:

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Actually his hands are very warm but they're too rough feeling. :yuck:

And, I don't have those anymore. :D

Frenchy
November 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Rainbow , I have the same problem. And it usually starts around October.

I first looses blood circulation in my fingers (and really , sometimes it only takes a few minutes :frustrated:) then they turn white , then freeze , and let me tell you , it hurts like hell !

I heard that this can happen to people who once got "freeze burn" (something like that) and that eating lots of garlic , or to take garlic vitamins , helps. I tried last year , didn't work. :shrug: I also bought 2 pairs of ski gloves , expensive ones , and it also doesn't help :frustrated:

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I hear ya Frenchy :grouphug: ....sounds like you have the same problem as me but you are much too young. :eek:

Frenchy
November 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I hear ya Frenchy :grouphug: ....sounds like you have the same problem as me but you are much too young. :eek:

I think it's because I spent a whole day outside in winter when I was young (me and my sister got lost while going to Mont-Royal mountain) I got very very cold , people told me that it might be because of it that now , my hands can't stand the cold weather :shrug:

oh and btw , I heard that you guys in West coast will have a nice warm winter while we , will get lots of snow and very cold temp :yell: :wall: :frustrated:

and again .... :yell:

Luvmypitgirls
November 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
For me it's cold feet! Seriously, my feet are like to big 7&1/2" icecubes all the time! Even in Summer I have cold feet.
Most times I have to wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks during the winter months, or my feet will cramp and hurt from the coldness.

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
You guys need a transfusion of Norwegian blood :D I've got some that I'll transfuse to you for a slight nominal fee.... :p

I have more trouble keeping cool than staying warm. :o Always have :shrug:

Do they still make battery-warmed gloves and socks? If your fingers get cold enough to be nonfunctional, that might be worth looking into.

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I think it's because I spent a whole day outside in winter when I was young (me and my sister got lost while going to Mont-Royal mountain) I got very very cold , people told me that it might be because of it that now , my hands can't stand the cold weather :shrug:

:eek: how long were you lost for? ...must have been scary for both of you. :grouphug:

oh and btw , I heard that you guys in West coast will have a nice warm winter while we , will get lots of snow and very cold temp :yell: :wall: :frustrated:

and again .... :yell:

Well I hope you're right :D ....as long as it doesn't screw up the Olympics since I keep thinking they're going to cost BC an arm and a leg anyways. :rolleyes:

For me it's cold feet! Seriously, my feet are like to big 7&1/2" icecubes all the time! Even in Summer I have cold feet.
Most times I have to wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks during the winter months, or my feet will cramp and hurt from the coldness.

LMPG, I have cold feet as well and have to wear socks to bed to keep them warm. I guess when I'm walking and my feet are moving then I don't feel it as much as my hands. :shrug:

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You guys need a transfusion of Norwegian blood :D I've got some that I'll transfuse to you for a slight nominal fee.... :p

I have more trouble keeping cool than staying warm. :o Always have :shrug:

Do they still make battery-warmed gloves and socks? If your fingers get cold enough to be nonfunctional, that might be worth looking into.

Battery warmed ones? ....so if rainbow gets her hands wet will she get zapped? :laughing:

I've never seen them but will check them out ....thanks Hazel. :thumbs up

Frenchy
November 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think we were outside from lunch hour until around 5 pm or later because it was already dark .... my sister got the bus stop wrong , very wrong .... and she didn't want to call my dad so he could come and get us (she's very independant) but finally she had to because we were suppose to be back for dinner :p

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
hubby used to have a pair of the socks and never complained about getting zapped...and we're really clutzy, especially around electricity...so I suspect you'd be safe, rainbow! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I think we were outside from lunch hour until around 5 pm or later because it was already dark .... my sister got the bus stop wrong , very wrong .... and she didn't want to call my dad so he could come and get us (she's very independant) but finally she had to because we were suppose to be back for dinner :p
omd, no wonder you got cold!!!! :eek:

Frenchy
November 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Battery warmed ones? ....so if rainbow gets her hands wet will she get zapped? :laughing:

I've never seen them but will check them out ....thanks Hazel. :thumbs up

interesting ........

growler~GateKeeper
November 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
My mum gets the cold hands and lack of circulation in her fingers - they turn interesting shades of white & purple too. When she was young she would rinse/wash her hands in the freezing cold creek.

I think in my case the poor circulation must be genetic :shrug: I get cold very quickly/easily even in 30*C summer sunshine! :rolleyes: My hands get freezing cold & will go white even just typing on the computer inside at room temp :rolleyes: Outside my hands are cold within seconds.

When I was a kid we had packets to put in our gloves called Hot Shots that warmed up & stayed warm for several hours similiar to these (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Apparel/2/ApparelAccessories/DryersWarmers/PRDOVR~0750057P/Grabber%2BHand%2BWarmers%252C%2B10-Pk.jsp) and there are reusuable ones now http://thermo-pad.com/handwarm.htm

Melinda
November 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM
my daughter is like that, she starts wearing her gloves in october and doesn't put them away until the middle of May, her hands are always cold.

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
ladies you can get these little package things at most dollar stores, you shake the crap out of them then insert them in your mittens or shoes and they heat up , and keep your fingies and toes nice and warm..or,,,,, those magic bag things you heat up in the microwave for sore muscles are just fabric filled with rice. make a few small ones, fill them with rice and stitch closed. you can microwave them over and over and over and you get the point. get them good and hot and insert into your mitties or shoes and off you go. i have a few here just for that purpose.

Melinda
November 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM
aslan, my mom makes those oat bags that you reheat, my daughter heats them to go to bed with, heats one when she's ready to leave for work and sticks it inside her coat *L*. She also has those dollar store thingies and does stick them inside her mitts, poor benjamin (her son) is usually sweating when she brings him over because she has the heat so high in the car *L*

chico2
November 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Ladies,it comforts me a bit to know I am not the only one with weird cold hands:laughing:
I have been wearing gloves walking Bailey since october,my fingers get soooo cold,turn really white and I've been like that forever,so it's not old age..

We had a water-bed years ago with a heater,nice in the winter,now I have an oldfashioned hot-water thingy at the bottom of my bed to keep my feet warm.

Having an economical hot-blooded frenchman hubby does not help,he likes to keep the heat in the house on a chilly +19C:yell:

Chris21711
November 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ethel's b/f suffers from Raynaud's - maybe you have something similar, you too Frenchy.....he also has it in his feet and sometimes the knees....sigh......peeps can have varying degrees of severity.

http://images.google.ca/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA315CA315&q=raynaud's+phenomenon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=kNUTS9HaIMnNlQe9spSUBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCkQsAQwAw

The Hot Paws hand warmers work a treat and the heat lasts for a few hours...Ethel and the b/f wear them when they go snowmobiling (the b/f uses them all winter).....I think they come in packs of 10 and they are not expensive...here you can buy them in Crappy Tire and Mark's Work Warehouse and I'm sure in other locations too.

I managed to write this without being silly :clown:

Melinda
November 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
we have one girl in our biker group that has a heated leather coat, she plugs it into hubs dash (they ride a cruiser) and her jacket heats up

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
LOL ...I'll have to show this thread to hubby as he thinks I'm bizarre the way my hands turn the varying shades of purple, blue and white. :D

I have used the hot shot pads when we used to go ice fishing but never knew they made re-usable ones now. I checked out the link growler gave and they sell them in a box for $40 for four. :eek: I think they would sell more if they sold them individually since the ARE re-usable. :rolleyes:

aslan, thanks for the idea of making the little rice filled bags. :thumbs up I do have one of those (but it's filled with popcorn) for my back but never thought of making wee ones to stick in my mitts ....probably because that means sewing which I hate doing since I don't have a machine. :o Now hopefully I can make the stitches close enough so the rice doesn't fall out. :laughing:

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
if you can hold off until after xmas i can make you a whooooole bunch cause i already know that grace bought me a sewing machine..(i took it off the shelf and handed it to her.):D

Luvmypitgirls
November 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
ladies you can get these little package things at most dollar stores, you shake the crap out of them then insert them in your mittens or shoes and they heat up , and keep your fingies and toes nice and warm..or,,,,, those magic bag things you heat up in the microwave for sore muscles are just fabric filled with rice. make a few small ones, fill them with rice and stitch closed. you can microwave them over and over and over and you get the point. get them good and hot and insert into your mitties or shoes and off you go. i have a few here just for that purpose.

Great idea aslan! Now if I only knew how to thread my sewing machine.:o
It sounds weird but I know how to sew, just don't know how to thread the machine, my friend always did it for me, but now that I don't live next door to her anymore my machine is sitting in storage:sad:

ancientgirl
November 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't get much of a chance to have that problem. *runs and hides*

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Great idea aslan! Now if I only knew how to thread my sewing machine.:o
It sounds weird but I know how to sew, just don't know how to thread the machine, my friend always did it for me, but now that I don't live next door to her anymore my machine is sitting in storage:sad:

:laughing::laughing: might i suggest googling " how to thread a sewing machine" they have video's and everything.

Luvmypitgirls
November 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
:laughing::laughing: might i suggest googling " how to thread a sewing machine" they have video's and everything.

:eek:...I had no idea! Ok I'll Google it!:D I've never googled before "lol" but I'll give er' a try!

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
i have faith in you,,, hmmmm i could get rich making little cold hands magic bags.

Luvmypitgirls
November 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
i have faith in you,,, hmmmm i could get rich making little cold hands magic bags.

You make em' I'll order a bunch!:D

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've never googled before "lol" but I'll give er' a try!

OMD you've got to be kidding. :eek: That website is a godsend at times. :D

hmmmm i could get rich making little cold hands magic bags.

Yes, I think you could. :thumbs up Just look at all the customers you'd have from here already. :D I really think you should go for it. :thumbs up

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
lol, yeah like i have soooooo much free time on my hands,,:lightbulb: i have an idea rainbow, i'll sew the little bags, send them to you, you fill them and do the hand stitch closing and sell them, we'll split it.

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
lol, yeah like i have soooooo much free time on my hands,,:lightbulb: i have an idea rainbow, i'll sew the little bags, send them to you, you fill them and do the hand stitch closing and sell them, we'll split it.

Okay, I'll start practising with the mending pile I've got here ...hubby will be so happy that I'm finally doing it. :D

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
i even have a contact for the fabric to make them with so we're set, just have to wait for xmas now unless i can suck up and get her to give it to me as a birthday present instead.

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I bet you could ....when's your b-day? :D

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
i'm not telling you, i saw the evil flaming numbers you posted for chris's birthday.

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
i'm not telling you, i saw the evil flaming numbers you posted for chris's birthday.

But you're much younger than Chris so I wouldn't do that. :laughing:

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
ok then, don't forget i'm being nice and offering you half of a business right... Dec 20th.

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM
LOL ....I can be nice when I have to. :D

breeze
November 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
....when's your b-day? :D

:p

Dec 20th

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Geeze, if I had have waited for breeze to reply then I wouldn't have to be nice. :laughing:

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Dec 20th

:eek: i can't decide which freaks me more that you snitched or that you remembered.

breeze
November 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
:eek: i can't decide which freaks me more that you snitched or that you remembered.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I just checked and you've got it in your profile :D ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-12-20&c=1

breeze
November 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I just checked and you've got it in your profile :D ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-12-20&c=1

check the calendar too.. if you say show post of last year you will see people that posted a happy birthday thread and when
:D:D

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
so rainbow does this mean i don't get anymore dirty jokes.:sad:

rainbow
November 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
so rainbow does this mean i don't get anymore dirty jokes.:sad:

Heck no ....why would you think that? :D

Did you like the punching bag one? :evil:

aslan
November 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
loved it sent it to both of my sisters to give them a chuckle.

onster
November 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have cold clammy :yuck: hands all year. Bad circulation....

so i feel your pain guys! I inherited from my mom, she has the same. I dont notice a change in the winter tho :shrug:

Gail P
November 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
For cold hands, besides the hot shots you can also get battery powered handwarmers to stick in your pockets. And you can get glove liners, or just double up a thin pair of gloves with some larger fitting ones. If you're just wearing one pair, try mitts instead of gloves, they tend to be warmer and you can also double up with mitts too. Movement generates heat and stimulates circulation so wiggling your fingers around inside your mitts will help, as will clapping your hands. When I'm racing I keep a death grip on the driving bow of my sled which reduces circulation (plus there's wind chill at 15-20+ mph) and my hands FREEZE unless I double up with a pair of thin gloves inside snowmobile mitts.

For feet, I LOOOOVE my -30 Icelandic socks made by J.B. Fields, and my similar Redhead ones. They're both made from merino wool (not itchy like other wool) and are a thick cushy terry weave. My feet are great when I'm moving around but standing still they get cold easy. When I'm moving I stay warm easily and my feet will overheat (even with just normal socks, not the -30 ones) and then when standing they get clammy and chill. I usually take about 3 pairs of footwear to races and changes of socks. One pair of shoes or boots for driving, one warm pair of boots for being outside in all day (Sorel Glaciers, rated to -100 or something like that) and a pair of winter hikers to wear while racing.

growler~GateKeeper
December 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM
The Hot Paws hand warmers work a treat and the heat lasts for a few hours...Ethel and the b/f wear them when they go snowmobiling (the b/f uses them all winter)

Some of the Artic-Cat snowmobiles come with heated handlebars & seats :cloud9: :lovestruck: You can buy heated grips to attach after from http://www.hotgrips.com/ for snowmobiles, motorcycles or atvs

we have one girl in our biker group that has a heated leather coat, she plugs it into hubs dash (they ride a cruiser) and her jacket heats up

Nice! :D I could use one of those :cloud9:, however I don't have a bike :sad:

Gail P
December 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Some of the Artic-Cat snowmobiles come with heated handlebars & seats :cloud9: :lovestruck: You can buy heated grips to attach after from http://www.hotgrips.com/ for snowmobiles, motorcycles or atvs

Not just the Artic-Cats, I think nowadays heated hand grips are pretty much standard equipment. Even my 1990 Skidoo Safari has them. It's just a basic little machine that I use for packing/grooming my dogsled trail. I see that they now also have snowmobile helmets with heated visors too!