Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two problems, Mice / Hot flashes

Dog Dancer
November 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Not sure which is worse!! I thought I saw something run about two weeks ago when I opened my laundry room door, but convinced myself it was my imagination. Today I found mouse droppings on my counter :eek: :yuck:. Of course I cleaned it well, and I don't think it's been around long, I clean the counters all the time. Where were my dogs? Why didn't they tell me we had intruders?? What to do though is the big question? I guess I'll have to get a couple little mouse traps, I know they work, but I hate to kill them (especially on the counter).

Next problem, hot flashes :eek: What herbal things help with this, anybody got any suggestions on that?

Thanks for listening.

hazelrunpack
November 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
We have the same problems here.

Tell ya what....as a stopgap till we find a remedy, I'll send you hubby and half the Pack. They won't cure either problem, but it's good for a lot of belly laughs watching the mice chase hubby and dogs down the hall. :laugh:

You think I jest? :rolleyes:

:laughing:

And, while you're laughing hard enough to make you cry, you don't notice the hot flashes so much :o

:thumbs up

Chris21711
November 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Regarding the Mice DD, last year we had quite the infestation :frustrated:..with the exception of Kale earning his keep with a couple, the rest I caught systematically with a humane trap. It only caught one at a time and cost about $4 in Home Hardware, but it worked a treat. In the last year I have caught one in the trap, (I leave it out on the counter always) and Kale caught one :yuck:

Hot Flashes.....one thing I know of that does work is Evening Primrose Oil....it's been a few years since my experience with HF's, maybe now they have a myriad of things available :)

Dog Dancer
November 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the offer Hazel. I don't think my halls are big enough for all of my crew and half of yours running from the mice!:laughing: I saw a live trap at the hardware store, but it was $24. It held multiple mice, but now it appears the mice are not just in the kitchen (obviously) but in all ends of the house. So having one trap in one room is probably not going to solve the problem. I put a couple kill traps out (sorry, I hate it too) but so far nothing, which is okay. Maybe they took the message and left (yeah probably not).

Haven't had the hot flashes for two nights now, what a treat! Thanks Chris, I had an idea it was primrose, but wasn't certain. Guess I'll have to find myself a health store and go ask.

Tks ladies. I suggested to hubby that we should go adopt a cat by the way, that didn't fly really well!

chico2
November 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Dog-Dancer,we too had mice one year,first we checked outside to see how they got in,all they need is a tiny hole.
We found the place,right where the a/c hose goes downstairs from outside.
They had chewed right through the filler.
Then we placed humane cheap black plastic-traps(canadian tire) in my cupboards and in other places,some people use poison,but we put in peanuts or birdseeds and they work.
If you don't find how they get in,they'll just return after you release them.

As for HF,I was on estrogen for a while,did not feel good about it,so I bought HRT made by Swiss Naturals,about $19 for a bottle of 80 and it works:thumbs upof course that was a long time ago:laughing:

dragon_queen
November 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
try this , i hope it works.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4897223_make-mouse-traps.html

Frenchy
November 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
try this , i hope it works.

:laughing: love the pic :laughing:

Dog Dancer , you would need at least 3 cats ..... because you always have 2 that just sits there and watch the mouse explore the house :frustrated: I think they find it entertaining :frustrated:

they have plug ins in hardware stores , it suppose to make a sound that only mice can hear (is ok for cats and dogs) and that sound makes them out of the house :shrug: don't know if it works ....

14+kitties
November 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Years ago when my midlife crisis started I asked a pharmacist what he would recommend. 'Cause you know a male has lots of knowledge about menopause. After all, they're the ones who cause it. :rolleyes: Anyway, he told me about Black Cohosh. I got some and tried it. Don't know if it was because I was in the midst of stopping smoking at the same time or what but I didn't have much luck with it. Maybe it would help you. :shrug:

http://www.naturalrelief.com/land01.php?sid=45795&gclid=COnT5ZDysZ4CFQohDQodd2QOkQ

As for the mice........ how many kitties do you want me to send? :D

Chris21711
November 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Haven't had the hot flashes for two nights now, what a treat! Thanks Chris, I had an idea it was primrose, but wasn't certain. Guess I'll have to find myself a health store and go ask.

You can buy it at the drugstore DD.

Tks ladies. I suggested to hubby that we should go adopt a cat by the way, that didn't fly really well!

Don't they always throw a wrench in good ideas :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Man, not only is it the Year of the Mice, but they all seem to be on steroids! hubby put two live traps out in the garage last night and they were both missing by morning! :eek: What the heck?!? :confused:

Dog Dancer
November 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thank you all for the tips. Hazel that made me laugh, the traps are gone! I guess I'll go look for some humane traps, you guys make me feel guilty. I haven't caught any mice yet anyhow, but I don't see any new poop either.
I suspect that they are coming in from the window downstairs. My tenant leaves her living room window open and there is no screen on it. We've had a lot of rain lately and their little dens are flooding out.

As for the hot flashes, so far the past few nights it's okay, but I will head to the drug store today on the way home for the primrose oil stuff and give it a try.

Tks all for the input. I appreciate every bit of it. Dragon Queen that pic is hilarious. I will try this trap as well.

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
We had a mouse issue for some years in our basement. We searched for every possible hole and plugged the few tiny ones we found. Took until last year to find it. Under the drywall in the garage was a tiny hole leading to the basement ceiling. They caused endless detestation to the basement though we kept killing them, more kept coming in. Chewed wires, plastic..

Can't say I'd risk live trapping as then they have the chance to come back again. And once one has foudn their way in they seem to invite more.

We got the victor plastic snap traps that pop open from the back so there is no chance of setting them off yourself, nor a need to touch the dead mouse after. Certainly don't enjoy killing mice, but they really can cause a lot of devastation and their endless incontinence and disease isn't something I'm up for either.

Shaykeija
December 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hmm I was thinking of wine and cheese...guess who the cheese is for...

Dog Dancer
December 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Shaykeija - good idea, if I drink enough wine I won't care about the mice or the hot flashes! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
If you share with the mice, maybe they'll get careless and slow and become easier to catch! :laughing:

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Well no update on the hot flashes as such, but the mice are still around. Have not caught any yet, but saw one run across the kitchen last night. The dogs just don't care at all. Then, last night when I went to bed I pulled down the sheets and :eek: mouse poop in the bed :eek: Oh man do I want these beesties out of my house!!! I am also tired of disinfecting the counters every time I want to use the kitchen.

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
hubby put two live traps out in the garage last night and they were both missing by morning! :eek: What the heck?!? :confused:

holy crap Hazel , how big is your mice ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: mouse poop in the bed :eek:

omg :yuck:

when I moved in this house , it had been empty for 2-3 months , with mouse traps and dead ones in it. I didn't have a bed for the 2 first weeks , only a small folded couch very low to the ground , I was terrified that a mouse might jump on me in the middle of the night :eek: I kept the dogs real close :cool:

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Sadly Frenchy my dogs don't seem to care, I kept hubby close last night. I told him if I felt anything tickling my toes I wanted to be able to assume it was him!

I've had rats that stole my traps Hazel, but never mice... You had Mighty Mouse in your garage!

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sadly Frenchy my dogs don't seem to care,

I don't think Daisy and Bailey would have done anything either .... heck even the cats didn't do nothing when the first alive one got in .... Monsieur le chat was stretching on the kitchen island while Paddington was playing with the mouse in the hallway :rolleyes: I had to .... terminate "it" myself :frustrated: guess they got the message because a couple months later , they left a half dead corpse right outside my bedroom one morning , probably to show me : "there mom , we killed one , but we're not eating the rear end" :yuck:

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
LOL

We finally found the traps wedged here and there. Still haven't caught Mighty Mouse, either :o

chico2
December 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
The way I discovered I had mice,was that my potatoes had been eaten:yell:then one night while I was watching TV,one came running with Vinnie in hot pursuit:yell:
.Vinnie did not catch it,I have no idea where the mouse went:confused:
They are cute little buggers,but I prefer to see them outside.
When we had them in the attic,keeping me awake,the only thing we could do,was to put poison up there,it's a terrible way for the little guys to die,but we had no other option:sad:

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
My lab Halo has caught a mole out at the park before, but for some reason she doesn't care about the mice in the house. I was thinking about humane traps, but now that they're pooping in my bed all bets are off. I sadly went out and bought a bunch of snap traps because they've declared war. I can't afford that many humane traps and don't want to put just one out. Sorry about that guys, it breaks my heart to do it really. I think they're awfully cute, but I don't like the poops all over the house :yuck:

chico2
December 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Dog Dancer,I don't think anyone is blaming you,you do what you have to do and mice-poop in my bed would totally freak me out:yell:

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
you won't see me heartbroken about that :laughing:

:sorry: but , mice are vermine :shrug:

I heard sometimes with traps , it can get .... splashy :yuck:

aslan
December 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
we had the mouse problem the last two winters while the house was under reno's.. we ended up having to use more than one type of trap and poisons.. Some would go to one thing but not the others... only HUUUUGE peice of advice i would give is if you use poison only put it behind appliances where your pets can't get to it. oh and just for info,,set traps along the walls, thats where mice usually travel the most.

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
:laughing: love the pic :laughing:

Dog Dancer , you would need at least 3 cats ..... because you always have 2 that just sits there and watch the mouse explore the house :frustrated: I think they find it entertaining :frustrated:

they have plug ins in hardware stores , it suppose to make a sound that only mice can hear (is ok for cats and dogs) and that sound makes them out of the house :shrug: don't know if it works ....

Nope, you need more than that. I had a mouse in my house about a month ago with three cats staring at it, even Rose :yell: who you would think after being feral for 3 years would learn catch and kill first, play after :frustrated:.

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
.Vinnie did not catch it,I have no idea where the mouse went:confused:

Having babies :D

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nope, you need more than that. I had a mouse in my house about a month ago with three cats staring at it, even Rose :yell: who you would think after being feral for 3 years would learn catch and kill first, play after :frustrated:.

you're feeding them too well :laughing:

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Splashy??? :eek::yuck: I haven't gone with any poisons yet, that would be my last resort. The traps I bought a few of them won't be able to snap the dogs if they sniff them, and a few are just regular snaps that will go under furniture and stuff where the dogs can't get at them. The problem with poisons like I said also is they die much slower and then you don't always know where the dead (and smelly) bodies are. Uck. I wish I could just leave the door open and tell them to go away! And I would have thought a cat like Rose would be a good mouser. I figure indoor cats are too well fed to care too much about it as a rule. My two old cats would not have bothered that's for sure.

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Here are some other solutions , the plug ins I was talking about :

http://www.gooddeals.com/category/49/Mouse+Control.aspx

Dog Dancer
December 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Frenchy (or anybody) have you tried the plug ins?? Do they really work? I think years ago we had a similar thing for either fleas or mice and it was junk. I know technology has changed a lot though.. I did see some at the hardware store but am by nature a skeptic.

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
I haven't tried those , was until for someone else to try them first :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
The Pack likes to stare stupidly at the mice in the house...and then run down the hall when the vicious beast charges them :rolleyes:

But in truth, we get leptospirosis here from the mice, so I much prefer the Pack to avoid than to attack.... And we try to trap out the mice inside the house as soon as possible...

aslan
December 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Frenchy (or anybody) have you tried the plug ins?? Do they really work? I think years ago we had a similar thing for either fleas or mice and it was junk. I know technology has changed a lot though.. I did see some at the hardware store but am by nature a skeptic.

we couldn't use them here as we own a chinchilla too and apparantly may have caused some issues for him. I do know someone who had them plugged in but don't know if she had mice in the first place.

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
DD, please, please don't use poison. If a mouse dies from it and your dogs or cat eat the body, they can get terribly sick.

As the others have said, try to find out where they are coming in and block those holes. It won't matter how many you catch as more will always come in. And as Aslan said, place the traps (the cheese/bait part) right up against the walls, especially where you find droppings. That includes kitchen counter tops...right up against the wall.

Dog Dancer
December 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Well thanks for all the words of wisdom friends. LP - I don't really plan to use poison anyhow as it is a slow death for the mice, but I don't worry about the dogs eating them even if they found them. I can't get Shadow to eat roast beef at the best of times, I'm sure she wouldn't even think of eating a raw mouse! Halo is a wimp also, she might roll on it, but I don't believe she would eat it - but you never know. Hubby did go out and put screening up over some air vent spaces he had in the cantina rooms that he built under the deck. They had insullation in them, but obviously the mice could go through that easy enough. With all the work we've done on the house in the last three years and walls torn out and such I'm amazed we haven't had mice before now. Good news is there was no more poop in my bed last night :laughing: I have placed traps along most of the walls and everywhere that we have seen them (even under the stove). So far the little devils are smart enough to stay away. I have baited them with peanut butter and bird seed. At the hardware store I asked for birdseed and they were like "Oh we don't sell it, it attracts mice and rats you know." I'm like yeah that's the whole point for me!

Dog Dancer
December 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Well it appears I have a very smart mouse! :frustrated: The darn thing is eating the bird seed and peanut butter and managing not to trigger the mouse traps. I have four different types of traps and one he hasn't gone near, two he has managed to eat the bait from and the live trap is not interesting him at all - stupid beast! Go for the live traps already!!! I think I'm going to go and get a couple glue boards and try to catch the "sticky fingered" little beast. Wish me luck. Do you guys think I'll have more than one?? My gut tells me not, but who knows. My brain says where there's one there's more.

chico2
December 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
DD,please do not get the glue-boards,they are the worst possible way to catch a mouse:sad:

Dog Dancer
December 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Chico2 I don't know what else to do! The buggers have evaded everything I have put out, and I don't want to use poison either. I don't like the idea of the glue boards, but don't know what other avenue to pursue. I'm going to give him a few more nights but beyond that I don't know. I'm getting desperate here to get rid of the mice before they get into my wiring or start having babies (heaven forbid). If we did have to use glue boards hubby would dispatch the wee beasts asap. Haven't done it yet, it would be my last resort.

Dog Dancer
December 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well another night, another well fed mouse! Dang these guys are clever. I have never had a mouse that could evade a trap like this guy. Different room, different trap, eats all the bait, picked the trap clean and didn't trigger it. Of course I set it off twice trying to remove it and replace it again .

Marty11
December 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I have mice every year (century home). If you use those new black mice traps you have to be sure they are set right. I was setting them wrong. If it's a rat you will take a long time to catch it. I talked to a professional. Set out Bacon grease for several days on the trap but don't set it. You have to gain the rat's trust LOL. Then a few days later set the trap. Always put trap along the wall base that is where rats travel. Please watch where they are so that your house pets don't get to them. No poison, it really can get to your pets via the rodents belly. I did try live trapping with no success. Also make sure your bird seed, pet food, even grass seed in in containers.

Dog Dancer
December 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Marty11. It is a mouse I am pursuing. We've seen it and the poops are too small for a rat (which we had in our old garage). I have four different types of traps, and the mouse is very comfortable with them all! I have been putting peanut butter and bird seed stuck into the pb. Some loose seed as well. The beast eats all the seed and even managed to eat the PB one night and did not set off the trap. I'm getting very frustrated and he's getting fat!:laughing: I know patience will eventually pay off for me. I have two very odd looking black traps that have a little cover thing over the bait and the mouse is supposed to push that up with his nose and that triggers the snapper. Haven't even seen anything move on that one, I don't think the mouse likes them. I have two black live traps and he doesn't go near those either - they are very simple traps. Anyhow, I will persevere...

friend2animals
December 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Years ago (living in the country), I had 2 (I think) very crafty mice as roommates. These guys were able to remove the bait from the traps without triggering them. They were the traditional spring-loaded contraptions. My cat just wanted to chase them around the house...:laughing::wall:

Anyways, their point of access was from under the fridge in the kitchen. I found that after many, many failed attempts at capturing the lil' buggers (so I could put them back outside), that placing a tiny amount of either my cats' or dogs' soft food in front of their access area, made it easier to ambush them when they came out to feast. This took several attempts, but I finally caught only one of them - using an empty container with a lid. I scooped him up, and put him back outside. The second one just seemed to vanish without a trace:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
December 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
So today's update on my mouse is that last night I went to go into my computer room, swung open the door only to have the mouse running straight at me :eek: See DD swing the door closed very fast... I told hubby to go in and try to catch it in a bucket - that wasn't going to happen. So I gave him a new trap and said go put it in the back corner by the computer, that's where he's been eating the seeds in the other trap. Nope, he would only stick it right inside the door. He's less brave than I am it appears - made me laugh (with him not at him). Anyhow, as of this am he's still doing his thing I guess, he's not in the traps. I stuck towels under the door hoping to keep him in there until he was hungry enough to get stuck in a trap.

clm
December 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
What kind of trap are you using? I've always used those tom cat black traps that are really easy to set.....I always nail myself with those wooden ones. :laughing:
I've never had to use them in the house, but had to use them in the shed one year and they worked like a charm. Mind you I may have just had dumb mice. :laughing:

clm

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
My little dancing dog icon is gone from the list! DD was doing her happy dance last night because she caught a mouse!! Hubby was surprised I caught one, but the good old snap trap finally worked it's magic. I am hoping that it was a lone mouse, but have left traps out just in case.

hazelrunpack
December 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I went to a meeting Tuesday night--backed out of the garage, completed half a Y turn to head up the drive, and paused to close the garage door. When I looked forward again, I saw a mouse in the headlights, running straight from the front of the vehicle to the nearest trees! I think the cheeky little so-and-so jumped out from under the hood! :wall: sigh

:laughing:

So was the one you caught the one in the computer room that eluded dh? :D

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hazel at least your mouse ran away from the house! Bella's mom disturbed a nesting mouse in her BBQ a couple weeks ago and it ran straight into her kitchen. :wall: This is not what she had the poison for, she hasn't tried to catch her mouse yet.

Yes the mouse we caught was in the computer room. Waaay in the back corner where DH would not venture to set a second trap. He was more than willing to retrieve the poor dead creature though. :laughing: I guess we make a good team, I'll trap em he can dispose of them. I vacuumed really well, so if I see any new droppings I'll know I still have a ways to go. I've also left seeded traps out to see if they mess up the seeds.

hazelrunpack
December 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Oh, I'm sure the cheeky little blighter was back in the garage and probably under the hood within 5 minutes of my return. :rolleyes:

hubby and I use teamwork, too--he finds 'em, I chase 'em down and shoo them into a coffee can, then he releases them outside down the road. I figure it's a good deal cuz my work is done inside--he's the one who has to freeze his buns off releasing them. :D

Dog Dancer
December 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
DD is sad today, it appears I still have mice. :sad: I think the smart mouse is still here and I trapped his stupid cousin or something. Yesterday all the peanut butter and seeds were eaten off the trigger of the trap and it didn't snap. That beast licked it clean!

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
:yell: arrrgggghhhhhhhh!

chico2
December 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
DD,there is seldom just one mouse:frustrated:
We did get rid of ours,but we were able to find the entry-point and closed it up.

Dog Dancer
December 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
We have closed up a large area that my husband had left open for air circulation in his cantina, and we suspect that's how they probably came into the walls and then into the house. There is one hole in the hall closet floor that hubby did renos on this year, so I've reminded him again to close that up as that could be where they came into the living space from once they were in the walls. I was just really really hoping it was just one, I know silly me. Oh well, patience I guess. Let me say I hope there aren't 20 :yell: