Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergies

Freyja
August 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Has any one had experience with using shampoo to help with pet(specifically dog) dander? My daughter is showing symptoms of being allergic to Lindy. I have Lindy on the best(so I am told) dog food (Nutram) and her coat is beautiful. I brush her about 2x a week. Lindy is not allowed in the kids bedrooms. The boy leaves too many chewables lying around and the girl has a history of asthma/allergies. Why get a dog you might ask? Good question. There is less pet hair than when we had Gatsby the cat and I have always had animals in my life. Interestingly enough we figure that Lindy was being born about the same time that Gatsby was dying. (I only got Lindy a month ago-reserve rescue). I feel like I was "guided" into getting her.
Any ways, that was a bit of a ramble for a simple question wasn't it, my apologies!! ;)

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 10:28 PM
My sister has used this on her cats because she was allergic... it's not a shampoo though, it's just a spray. You can use it on cats and dogs.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5476&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026136&bmUID=1093404645853

Freyja
August 24th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Cool!! Thanks, I have seen the Natures Miracle pet stain remover. Have you seen the blacklight for detecting urine stains that don't show? How does that work?!

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I guess certain blacklights (maybe all?) can detect any stains, err any bodily functions... I saw something about this on the news. They went into hotels with a blacklight to show stains on the mattresses and I must say that it was disgusting!!! Makes ya think twice about staying in hotels so much!
We all know what kind of stains those would be on hotel mattresses, gross.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 24th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Do any of you know a good way to help get rid or reduce the smell of dog urine? Or a reliable product to buy? Ive bought a few different brands but nothing seems to help and I hate spending on worthless products. Ahh.. its driving me nuts!

doggab
August 25th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Do any of you know a good way to help get rid or reduce the smell of dog urine?

We use a spray bottle with a tbsp of vinegar to clean up accidents on tile. That usually does the trick but I don't suggest it unless your ok with the slight scent of vinegar instead! Not to worry...the scent eventually fades. Now if your referring to your carpets, we use Arm & Hammer for Pets. Hope this helps...

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the advice doggab... Ive actually used the vinegar solution before. Im not sure if it worked tho. I dont mind the smell. I think ill give it another shot. I only used it on a few spots. The arm & hammer works well? Ill give that a try! anything is worth a shot! Were going to buy a air purifier its supposed to help. My dog never had a problem with the bathroom thing until we had another pup come to visit. Ever since then he has been doing it whenever were either not in the room or go out for a bit. He knows hes not supposed to it bc he looks guilty and we dont yell at him. We will take him out to go potty and for a walk and when we turn our backs, even for 5 minutes, he does it again. But like I said he never had a problem before. When the pup came the first thing he did was walk over to the chair I was sitting on and peed all over it! (and a little on me .. ewww).. He was telling the dog that Im his! Hmm.. dont know what to do....

doggab
August 25th, 2004, 01:28 AM
My dog never had a problem with the bathroom thing until we had another pup come to visit. Ever since then he has been doing it whenever were either not in the room or go out for a bit.

Are you sure that the other pup didn't mark the house when the pup came over to visit? You might have to disinfect the entire house, tee hee. One of our male dogs mark when we're over at the inlaws house. He just started this recently and he knows he's not suppose to do that indoors but he does it... blatantly... for that matter. He'll also mark at the pet store. I know it's more common with males but when a female dog came to visit, we noticed a few markings from her as well. You never know... these dogs can smell from a mile away!

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 01:36 AM
HAHAHA... thats definitely what happened. When the pup walked in (it was a male) he walked in and peed! and while my finace was picking that up pour dog walked over to me and peed! It was a mad house! Do you think he keeps on peeing because the other dog did? its been about a month and half since the pup came. Well you never know! Maybe he felt threatened bc I was paying attention to the puppy. I dunno. Hes such a good dog... Just perfers the carpet over the grass ::sigh::

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Ok if you are in Canada head to Canadian Tire... and pick up a big spray bottle called FOLEX ( sells for $9.99 CAN)... it works wonders on pet stains ('specially kitty barf!) and whatever else may make it onto your carpet!!!! Even my mom was impressed with how well it worked. I know they also have a web site or you you can check local stores to see if they carry it. All you do is spray it on the spot, use your fingers (gloved or not) to work it in, and take as much moisture out as possible with a cloth. And it does not discolour the carpet at all! I've even used it for my hubby's "trucker" boot stains by the front door and they lifted out the first try!

Sunkist/Winnie
August 25th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Does she get them just by being in the same house? After she's played with Lindy? Only when she's near someplace Lindy spends a lot of time?

I'm the proud allergic owner of two cats. Even though the can cause flare ups with my allergies/asthma I just couldn't get rid of them...they're just too cute!

I found that I could minimize my reactions to them by avoiding or eliminating other allergy triggers...I'm also allergic to dust so I:
- ripped up my carpet
- have my fiancee sweep and vacuum
- They are brushed frequently in an attempt to minimize the amount of hair they shed in the house
- I don't use any scented products because those can trigger a reaction too.

I can't touch my face after I've petted them and I try and keep them away from my face if they are snuggled up to me while we are all laying down.

So I never figured a cure for the allergies, just a way to manage/minimize my reactions.

Maybe you could figure what else triggers your daughter and work on minimizing those?

Not exactly a cure but worth a try.

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
After you brush her (outside) make sure you change your clothes.
AND take a damp cloth and wipe her down, it's the dander that you bring to the surface that ends up in the air inside so after a good brushing just wipe the surface of her fur with damp cloth and that should help a lot.
Damp mop the house floor with just a little water.

It's the dander that causes the allergic reaction.

Freyja
August 25th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone!
She gets worse when playing with Lindy, especially if she forgets to wash her hands and then accidently rubs her eyes!
I will try the rubbing down after brushing, maybe with the Nature's Miracle.

Sunkist/Winnie
August 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Itchy eyes are the worst. The best thing I've found to get them to calm down is a nice cool cloth. Makes it feel much better...well not as good as giving them a really good rub, but it works better at making the irritation go away.

It took me some time to adjust to the fact that I had to wash my hands as soon as I was done playing with the cats...and I still don't remember everytime. I'm more in the habit of not touching my face at all now. If I washed my hands everytime I petted my little critters I'd have raw skin on my hands!

Freyja
August 26th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Homeopathic Apis works for her when she is really bad.