Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out!

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I had an interesting morning. I went to get my morning coffee and my debit card was declined. I thought that was odd because I KNOW I had money. Not a whole lot, but some.

Well, I got to the office and looked at my account online and I had a message from my back saying I had some suspected fraudulent activity. I called and spoke with someone. We were going through some of my charges and he told me about a charge made this morning to some department store for $13.69.

Of course, I'd never heard of the store nor did I buy anything this morning. So as he started telling me he was going to cancel my debit card he also said I should call the claims department, so I could alert them I may have a $1,369 charge coming in. :eek::eek::eek::eek: Here I thought it was $13 dollars!

So yeah, I called the claims department and the guy told me that they declined the charge and it didn't even go through because I didn't have enough money in my account.:laughing::laughing:

HA! Take that you crooks!

Dog Dancer
November 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I hear you AG. Someone stole my credit card info once but my husband wouldn't let me report it because he said they were spending less than I did! Okay, that's a joke... But I did have my credit card scammed and my debit card also. It's such a pain in the a**. My credit union called me to tell me about the fraud the same day that it happened. I didn't even know. Like you though, I always figure "How much can they get out of my account anyhow??"

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
What scares me is, what if I had just deposited my pay? They would have cleaned me out in one shot and I'd have to wait anywhere from 5 to 14 days to get my money back!

I suppose I'm lucky that I never have a huge amount like that in my account for longer than a few days. When I get paid, I pay my bills and am left pretty much with very little until next pay day. :rolleyes: I'm lucky whoever scammed me did it now and not Monday!

krdahmer
November 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
:laughing: Serves em right! When ours was copied, the jerks went so far as to deposit empty envelopes so they could take out more money at the atm, so our cards got cancelled twice, once when the original hooey went down and then again when the bank finally processed the empty envelopes from the atm....what a week that was. I find I'm using a lot more cash now, it's safer and easier to budget.

Hope they can catch the dorks! :goodvibes: Theifs who steal from people already pinching every penny deserve a little extra kick in the pants!!!

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, like we can spare the cash right?

The guy at the bank made a good suggestion. He said to have two checking accounts. One for household stuff, like bills, and another just for stuff you buy and that one you keep with little money. So, if your card does get pinched they can't take much. I'm going to think about that one. In the meantime. I'll pay my rent with cash, that's the big payment for me. That way I can just keep a low balance.

aslan
November 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
ladies you should also start paying attention to your receipts from stores, Walmart especially. There has been a huge increase of cashback charges being made, then the cashier hands the cash to a friend that is behind you inline as if it is their change. At this time of year everyone is shopping and in a hurry. take a couple seconds and look at your receipt to make sure you're not being scammed.

Melinda
November 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
my credit card went shopping in san diego, unfortunately I wasn't with it *L*

chico2
November 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
We always keep track of our cards on the computer,I'll go shopping and as soon as I get in the door hubby says"what the heck did you buy",so he'd seen it before I even got home:laughing:

aslan
November 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
my credit card went shopping in san diego, unfortunately I wasn't with it *L*

lol, but did it have a good time.:D

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
This happened in the morning and I'm thinking it's an online thing. Of course, now I'll have to be even more careful. :frustrated:

Equla
November 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
LoL I know if 4 people (including me) that this has happened to...

One was at Best Buy after a purchase.

One was in England. My friend doesn't even own a passport.

And one was in one of the random countries we are arguing with at the moment. I laughed and told him to be careful because terrorists were buying bombs with his dough.

To be safe, cancel the cards and the bank account (if you haven't already). It's a pain to set up new direct deposit and such, but it cuts them off completely.

Also put a fraud alert on your credit. Mine makes them call my cell before any app is approved.

Dracko
November 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I had my previous employer call me once to ask if I'd paid a visit to Germany on my corporate card (I live in Canada). 'Course they were joking. Someone had used my card for a hotel stay there.

My nephew just had someone walk in to a bank and clean out his account in person!!!! They have it on tape and it is obviously NOT him. We aren't sure yet if the teller asked for ID and he had it faked or if it wasn't requested. Poor kid was left with .98 cents and his $725 rent was due the next day.

That was a few weeks ago now, the bank acknowledges it wasn't him who took the money out but he's yet to get it back. They say it takes "time." :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
There has been a huge increase in debit card fraud recently, some banks had a lot of accounts compromised.

I work in a retail store where very few of our transactions are cash, we have people/companies calling the store all the time asking to upgrade our debit/card card terminal or switch to a new processing company for a lower rate. Many stores will accept this especially this time of year, so close to Christmas, so they can save on the % the merchant is charged per transaction. This is how alot of this type of fraud happens - someone who looks like a legit repair person walks in say I'm gonna upgrade/replace your terminal & then they replace it with a fake one that grabs all the code numbers.

Always be sure to cover your pin code with your hand.

In stores don't use a terminal that is stationary - ie one that doesn't allow you to move it either don't use it or be sure to cover the pin pad - there have been reports of cameras in the ceiling directly above recording pin numbers.

Never allow your card out of your sight at stores, especially below the counters

Be wary of double swiping of your card - but remember that sometimes it is necessary ie if the magnetic stripe on your card is malfunctioning & won't read the first time through the machine then it is necessary to swipe it again - this doesn't happen very often though

If anything about the terminal looks off - like the handheld pinpad having a gap between the top half & bottom half - don't use it.

If the ATM has anything weird looking about it, extra covers over slots etc, or it you withdraw money & you hear the machine running but the cash never comes out the slot, cancel the transaction right away & contact the bank immediately.

Don't use public computers for online banking etc

Melinda
November 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
lol, but did it have a good time.:D

not sure, but "I" did take out a half page ad in the daily paper there according to the charges then "I" stopped off at an electronic store. I wasn't told what was bought and once I signed an affidavid (sp?) it was out of my hands and the visa company takes over.

Melinda
November 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
thank you for all those tips Growler, I was at my bank with my daughter last summer, using the bank machine inside the door and my daughter said to me "mom, that man behind you wrote down your pin number", he was in the line up behind me, so I went into the bank to report it, they told me it wouldn't do anything unless he'd tampered with the machine before I used it , as in putting a fake "something" I can't remember, but we changed the pin number immediately.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Growler those are great tips. I think we all should be more careful. I check my account daily as soon as I get to work, and luckily my bank actually notified me via email regarding the fraud as well. I'm certainly going to be a lot more suspicious.

aslan
November 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
my ex gf is the head fraud investigator for citi financial, so here's some tips for you...DO NOT hand anyone your bank card, swipe it yourself, the person could have a skimmer on their wrist or under the counter.A pro can alter a drive through bank machine in 10 seconds flat, so be cautious. the most altered machines are the front of the line ticket machines at movie cinemas. If you go into a bank and there is a garbage can there, don't use the machines, banks don't put out garbage cans.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Those are good tips.