Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chicken or egg-type question...

Writing4Fun
November 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hey all. Hubby and I were having this discussion last night, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what you all think.

We were discussing how amazing it is that Marble (our new tortie kitten) seems to fit right in with our family so well. She has a very affectionate personality, which is key to us (we love to love our animals :lovestruck: ). She is EXTREMELY tolerant of the kids, especially the younger one, manhandling her (in a good way, always ;) ). She's a slave to her stomach, like the rest of our family. She even has the bowel issues that the rest of the family has. :laughing:

So, here's the question...do we (meaning all of us with all of our animals who just seem to mold themselves right into our families) just get lucky and pick a pet whose personality happens to fit our family lifestyle so well, or do we make them into the perfect pets for our family lifestyle?

Golden Girls
November 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think it's a bit of both

cell
November 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
its both, phenotype is product of genotype and environment, basic biology. Also the egg came first because primitive reptiles and fish were laying eggs long before any species of chicken or bird existed.

aslan
November 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
i think the animal picks us portraying behaviors that would attract us to them. Our Quincy was from a litter of 11 and i was inside and my DW was outside looking through the window. We both picked the exact same puppy.

luckypenny
November 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
So, here's the question...do we (meaning all of us with all of our animals who just seem to mold themselves right into our families) just get lucky and pick a pet whose personality happens to fit our family lifestyle so well, or do we make them into the perfect pets for our family lifestyle?

I think they're the ones who make us the perfect families for their lifestyle :cool:. Originally, our dogs were not the kinds we dreamed of having, yet now, we wouldn't dream of not having them in our lives.

Funny, I think we changed and grew as much as they have. We kind of just melded into the family lifestyle we now have.