Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for FREE kitten in Ottawa Ontario

HeatherR
August 24th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Hi I was looking for a male kitten that someone is willing to give free to a good home. :confused: :) ....I live in Ottawa. I'd prefer it if the kitten was no black because I already have a black male. THANKS! :D

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Just curious why free? IF you can't afford to adopt a cat then how can you afford to take care of it?
Not jumpin on you here but yes you can find many cats avail for adoption..but you should be willing to pay an adoption fee..don't you think?

HeatherR
August 24th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Just curious why free? IF you can't afford to adopt a cat then how can you afford to take care of it?
Not jumpin on you here but yes you can find many cats avail for adoption..but you should be willing to pay an adoption fee..don't you think?

YEAH...for one thing, if I couldn't afford to feed a cat, I wouldnt already have a dog, one cat and two birds...Free is just something nice, especially if one is in desperate need to get them into a new home...If I cannot possibly find a free one, I would LOVE to pay for one...why must you critisize my post especially without knowing my situation, whether I can afford to care for a cat or not? You didn't even ask...

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Just something to think about...

A "free" kitten is likely not dewormed, de-flead, heath checked, OR spayed/neutered.

Most rescues charge between 75$ - 100$ for a kitten who has had all of that done, plus is guaranteed to be healthy at time of adoption.

To do all this yourself would cost at least 155$+ (depending on your vet.)

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I think you misunderstood. When I said "IF" notice it was in caps. That meant I didnt' understand your situation.

Don't take offence, there are many people that do look for pets that they can't afford. If you can afford then thats wonderful.

You did emphasize on your post FREE in caps, which is seemingly what you wanted everyone to focus on. And in general, people kind of wonder why.

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM
from petfinder

758398- Kitten:Blue-grey tabby
Kingston,ON email preferred Lindsay kingstondogs@hotmail.com 08-18-2004
Name: Lutz
Sex:M
Size:S
Delete Lutz was born to an abandoned cat (who has since been spayed). He will likely be small as mum is a petite 6 lbs. He is great with other cats, dogs, and would be fine with kids. He is gentle and very playful. He is strikingly handsome! Adoption conditions apply (neuter ASAP).

755919- Cat:Domestic short hair - all black
Richmond,ON 613-838-5173 Patsy Lytle lytle@sympatico.ca 08-14-2004
Name: Lucky
Sex:M
Size:S
Delete Lucky was a stray. I brought him in and registered him with www.foap.on.ca. He has since been vet checked, neutered, dewormed and up to date on his shots. He is a playful little guy. Loves to be around anyone. Not sure of dogs and other cats. He is still young enough to be introduced and persuaded to love other cats and dogs. Lucky has had a unknown type of accident when he was younger which has left him with a bit of a tilted head. The tilt does not seem to bother him. He is curious kitty as all are. If you are interested in Lucky please email me or check out his picture on www.foap.on.ca.
]

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Just curious - keep meaning to ask . . .
What does it mean when the description starts off with "delete"? :confused:

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Just curious - keep meaning to ask . . .
What does it mean when the description starts off with "delete"? :confused:

You can't see the link, however, when someone enters the information on the site, there is a "delete" button that you can push if you want to delete the information that you added. This would be done if a home was found for the animal.

Luba is just copying and pasting so the "delete" button appears.

Do you understand what I just said :) ?

Heather

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Got it! Like a "print screen". Thanks! :)

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Got it! Like a "print screen". Thanks! :)

Actually, here, have a look :D

http://www.petfinder.com/post/post.cgi

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM
tx for explaining :D

Cinnabear
August 25th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Heather have you check the newspaper. You can find newspaper ads online. Good luck to you.

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM
u know what, ladies?

i'd like to personally say, i totally agree w heather.

to me, a "free" pet means that the owner's WANTS it to go to a good home, s/he has done everything possible to provide all necessities of life. there should be no price tag on that...

I, as the foster/adopter parent/owner, should get the animal to the vet for all the testing, deworming, etc.

it should be MY responsibility. i dont look for a pet "ready-made," "complete w batteries." i wanna do the work myself!

i feel i need to "earn" the animal and in order for me to do that is to PROVIDE for it from mY end, show the animal that i care for it's health/needs...

that's all. :)

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Now I have a totally different perspective. If, god forbid, I ever needed to rehome Den-Den or Puss-Puss (I can't even imagine that possibility!) I would still feel responsible for their welfare for the rest of their lives! That means that for their lifetime:

I would pay for all veterinary bills.
I would provide all food.
I would provide anything else they might need.
If for any reason it didn't work out, I would want them back to find another home for them.

In short, I guess I'm saying I would not relinquish them. I would only want someone to provide a safe, loving environment until I could reclaim them. Think of it as fur-child support. Actually, when I think about it, I really don't want to think about that possibility ever occurring. And no, I would not advertise them. I would rely on referrals from trusted friends. My pets are not a burden. It's my privilege to provide for them. I wouldn't want anyone else to take that over from me.

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM
so... bc u'd pay the vet bills, provide food and anything else... and as a "bonus" ( ;) ) u'd be willing to rehome the pet if it doesnt work out....

what fee do u feel would be suitable for the pet in exchange for these "warrentees"?

HeatherR
August 25th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Looks like I did find my FREE kitten...I have pictures too......I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow :) :p :D Thank yew wAggie, your absoloutly right...I wanna take my kitten through all its steps in life myself...INCLUDING getting Dante (my other cat...The Boss...) to accept him...He was a little jealous when I braught Hoshi (new kitten) home...hes such a sweetheart! :rolleyes:

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:18 PM
A commitment to love and provide a good home. I'm not being idealistic. I honestly feel I am responsible for my fur-babies for life. Again, I can't imagine ever being in this position. But I love both of them and can't imagine just turning them over to someone without knowing what their lives will be. I owe them that. It's my responsibility.

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM
What a sweet kitty! I love tabbies! Please get him a break-away collar right away. A real cutie!

goldenblaze
August 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Now I have a totally different perspective. If, god forbid, I ever needed to rehome Den-Den or Puss-Puss (I can't even imagine that possibility!) I would still feel responsible for their welfare for the rest of their lives! That means that for their lifetime:

I would pay for all veterinary bills.
I would provide all food.
I would provide anything else they might need.
If for any reason it didn't work out, I would want them back to find another home for them.

In short, I guess I'm saying I would not relinquish them. I would only want someone to provide a safe, loving environment until I could reclaim them

I feel that same as you, I could never for any reason let my boys go and not know about them daily I would need to know forsure they have everything they need and are use to having in life. In my will I leave my boys with a dear friend that is to care from them till they pass and I also enough money to her as she will never worry about meds, vets or anything they will need. My Mother has done that aswell, her two kids come to me and live out their life with my family. It really is a worry isn't it, our pets really do mean so much too us. :)

heeler's rock!
August 25th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Awwwww!!! Heather, your new kitty is soooooo cute!!!! :D

I know he'll have a great home with you and congratulations on the little guy!!!!! :D :D :D

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
oh, oh! glasslass, here's another q... for example, if it is U who must give ur pet away from one reason or another, y is it that ur able to provide financially til the end of ur caring, but not con't to shelter the pet?

i dunno, it's a bit odd... it seems that u care so much about the pet but u wanna let it go to someone else. i feel if u care so much, u SHOULD do everything in ur power to keep the pet, like a child... but then again, i'm still o so young, and have so much learning to do... esp w kids, since i have none of my own, and after 5 yrs of working w them, I'm FED UP. :mad:

my bad, that slipped out. :o

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Our pets are "family" and we provide provide for them the same as if someone was taking care of a son or daughter. When I purchased Corky for my mom, I accepted full responsibility for him as well. Mom lives on a limited income. She's 78 years old and loves him dearly. He provides her with companionship and love and purpose. I pay for all his expenses - Mom provides him a loving home. When he broke his leg, I paid the bills. Corky is a member of our family. If something were to happen to Mom tomorrow, she knows we would take him and his life would continue to be happy and loving.

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Say, for example, my husband and I were injured in a horrific accident and we couldn't take care of ourselves in our home. This is a wild example Waggie. Like I said, I can't imagine it happening. I've posted here before that we have a savings plan for our pets. If I truly thought that I was reaching a point in my life where I couldn't provide for a pet, I wouldn't get another one when Den-Den, Puss-Puss, and Corky are no longer with us. I've already told my hubby that our next one should maybe be an older rescue since we'll be getting up there ourselves. See, I know either of my brothers would take them, and we have several good friends who I know would also take them. As I would if something like that happened to them. It's also going to be my responsibility to know when I shouldn't be a pet-owner anymore and not take on any more.

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Waggie, I don't have kids either. I have a magnet on my refrigerator that say "Dogs provide love and companionship and you don't have to send them to college!" :D I don't dislike kids, just never had that yearning.

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
i c, i c....

i guess i'm too ... selfish (?) to worry about something happening one day to me so serious that i'd have to rehome my "kids"... :(

thanx for that bit, glasslass. :)

i wonder if it's alright that i dont worry about my "kids" future w/o me... i'd like to believe i'm going to outlive them.... well, not really... that we ALL die of old age really... :o

iRONKNiGHT
August 25th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Looks like I did find my FREE kitten...I have pictures too......I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow :) :p :D Thank yew wAggie, your absoloutly right...I wanna take my kitten through all its steps in life myself...INCLUDING getting Dante (my other cat...The Boss...) to accept him...He was a little jealous when I braught Hoshi (new kitten) home...hes such a sweetheart! :rolleyes:

*Wow that's the first time i ever saw a Kitten on a leash...
i' musta been in the twilight zone
personaly i would not put a leash on such a young developing animal..
for many reasons but hey that's just me!

cute cute kitten !!

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 09:10 PM
um, i put a leash on my young developing pup.... is that alright w u, iRON?

GsdDiamond
August 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM
The lease is a wonderful idea, and great to get him used to it now, while he's young. You might want to go with a breakaway color (as suggested already) and a smaller clasp & lighter weight line. Give him as much "freedom" as he can handle, while still controlling him.

He's absolutely adorable!!!

MBRA518
August 26th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Um.. yah and we halter break young horses at 2 days old too... I agree it's best to get an animal used to any kind of confinment or restraint they will eventually require while they are very young - It makes it easier on everyone - pet and trainer. I do agree however that if a restraint is to be left on while the animal is unattended it should break if it were to get caught on something.

HeatherR
August 26th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I'm actually getting a break away collar sunday, its just I didn't have a cat carrier when i went to pick him up so i needed to buy something quick, just for saftey reasons. Although he doesn't seem to mind it at all, I keep it off when hes sleeping, or when I'm not around(went on a day trip to montreal today...got neighbours to keep him there). I hate to leave him alone...especially with my other cat roaming upstairs...Dante still doesn't like him, but I'm already noticing a change.

HeatherR
August 26th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Awwwww!!! Heather, your new kitty is soooooo cute!!!! :D

I know he'll have a great home with you and congratulations on the little guy!!!!! :D :D :D

thank you :)