Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SCM, Growler-Jasper's BW

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Got a copy of Jasper's Bloodwork on Saturday.

Wow, his T4 is quite low.

As stated, he is a very hyper cat, who does not tolerate hot days. He zooms around the yard like a puppy, climbs trees up to about 10-12 feet high, comes down, races to another tree and climbs that one. On weekends when we are home, he can be outside all day 7am-7pm, no naps, then crashes at about 8 and sleeps very soundly throughout the night.

He is like a furnace, he generates so much heat. He eats like a piggy and has trouble keeping weight on unless I give him a bit of kibble.

This is what has perplexed the vet, he has NO signs of being hypO T. :confused:

growler~GateKeeper
November 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Bloodwork looks great with the exception of the T4. As noted by the lab and as I mentioned earlier low T4 in cats generally doesn't not happen when there is no treatment underway for HyperT or concurrent kidney issues, this is called Euthyroid Sick Syndrome, basically it is where the thyroid gland is fine but tests low due to other causes.

Potassium is 0.1 below normal not something too be concerned about as of yet cuz the value is quite small.

None of the less common endocine disorders fit completely with the bloodwork/symptoms either http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2004&PID=8651&O=Generic

Puzzeling.

Did the vet check out the bradycardia (abnormally slow heartbeat) with a blood pressure check, or listen for a murmur?

Love4himies
November 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I have never had his blood pressure taken, but have had three vets listen to his heart because he pants easily in warm weather, this could be due to his zoomies :rolleyes:. No murmur or abnormalties were detected.

So I read the link and most of it went over my head :o, however in reading the symptoms of the various illnesses that are associated with hypothyrodism, he is exactly the opposite. Beautiful coat, wonderful muscle mass, and is a perfect weight for his size.

I will call my vet office and see if I can get a copy of his thyroid testing that was done 3 years ago.

Love4himies
November 24th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Attached is Jasper's bloodwork from 3 years ago. He was low normal back then so maybe he is an anomaly :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
At this point I would keep an eye on him & make a note if there are any changes in temperment, weight, personality etc., and have his T4 rechecked in 3-4 months. It looks like an abnormal test result that may not have significance beyond testing low that time :shrug: unless he repeatedly tests low. With euthyroid sick syndrome there would be some abnormal results on the blood tests, so because Jasper has tested normal on everything else this is not the case.

Some vets would want to treat low T4 with thyroxine to boost the T4 back into normal but because there is such a high rate of HyperT in cats and the fact, as also stated by your vet, that Jasper is showing no signs of Hypo I would leave it without treatment & just retest in a couple of months.