Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat has been vomitting all day

Monkas
November 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Since this morning my cat has been vomiting all day. He probably vomited about 8 times. First few times she vomited food and the last 5-6 times she vomited some water-like liquid. Yesterday he played with a plant. The plant looks like Madagaskar tree. He I think chewed 1-2 leafs of it. I saw he vomited a small piece of a leaf within the first vomit. We went to the emergency vet and they said it could be anything. We also brought a couple of the plants leafs. They performed a check up and everything looked ok.They told us to wait until tomorrow and see if the cat keeps vomiting then they will do other exams. I remember also when we had supper yestarday, we had some boiled meat and the cat had a bite. Can you please give me any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
The emergency vet sent you home with a still vomiting cat? :confused:

Did they give him fluids? Anti-nausea meds? Activated Charcoal? Anything?

Monkas
November 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
The emergency vet sent you home with a still vomiting cat? :confused:

Did they give him fluids? Anti-nausea meds? Activated Charcoal? Anything?

Yes they sent us home. The only thing the vet wanted to give to the cat is a shot with fluids because the cat did not eat all day.The vet also told us to hide the food during the night-tonight. The vet asked us to supervise the cat during the night and see if he will be ok and if she will stop vomiting or if he keeps vomiting the vet said we should bring him immediately. Please let me know.:sad:

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
How long ago did he last vomit? How long between times did he vomit ie once every hour, once every 15 mins?

Equla
November 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
I don't know how I feel about that vet. I know some are more lax than others, but a cat that doesn't eat for even 2 days is a huge issue. That includes vomiting up the food they are eating.

I suggest keeping an eye on him tonight just to log the symptoms and as soon as your vet opens in the morning get in there asap.

I understand taking the food away to stop the vomiting, but I hate keeping the food away from mine at all. I had a cat that stopped eating and she almost didn't make it. I'm not a vet, so I don't really know what to say about this. It really scares me.

Is there another overnight vet you can talk to to get a second opinion?

Monkas
November 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
My cat vomits once in about every 2 hours. Its been now about 4 hours the cat did not vomit. I pray he will not vomit again anymore. I will look after him overnight and if he vomits again first thing I will do is bring him to the vet.:sad:
Now he is calm and resting. Even if he vomits one more time I am going back to the vet. :sad:

I will appreciate if you give me any more opinion.:sad:

Thank you

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Since it's been 4 hours I would just watch him at this point, if he vomits again definately bring him back in. I would also call your regular vet first thing tomorrow & see if you can get him in for another checkup in the morning.

For breakfast tomorrow morning if he seems hungry feed him a small portion of canned food so as not to upset the tummy with a large meal all at once. If he's not looking for food be sure to mention it to the vet when you call for an appointment.

Monkas
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thank you so much for your responses. Right now he is sleeping and he looks a bit tired. I will be looking after him overnight and will let you know what is happening. :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Is this what the plant looks like? A Madagascar Dragon Tree?

The ASPCA has it on their list of poisonious plants doesn't seem to be too toxic as per the symptoms listed
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/madagascar-dragon-tree.html

I would suggest either removing the plant or putting it somewhere that pets have no access to

Monkas
November 22nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Is this what the plant looks like? A Madagascar Dragon Tree?

The ASPCA has it on their list of poisonious plants doesn't seem to be too toxic as per the symptoms listed
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/madagascar-dragon-tree.html

I would suggest either removing the plant or putting it somewhere that pets have no access to

Yes exactly. This is how the plant looks like. I removed it so he has no access to it at all. I also researched for the plant and it looked like this plant is toxic. We brought a few leafs to the vet and she said it is not that dangerous. the vet said we just have to look after him overnight.... dont know...

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Symptoms listed in the ASPCA site are vomiting (occasionally with blood), depression, anorexia, hypersalivation, dilated pupils. What the E vet probably meant by "not that dangerous" is this plant doesn't seem to trigger any issues with the kidneys, liver or heart on it's own, it's fairly mild.

Right now I think you just need to watch for anymore vomiting, drooling and if he won't eat tomorrow morning. If he just sleeps tonight w/no more vomiting, is hungry in the morning and is fine after a small portion meal, he should be fine then. You can always call the vet & ask if there is anything else you should do.

I think he'll be just fine :goodvibes:

rainbow
November 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
So sorry to hear about your kitty .....it must have been so traumatizing for you. :grouphug:

Glad you took the plant away and, as growler said, if he starts vomitting again or any other symptoms please take him back to the vet asap.

Good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Monkas
November 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Good morning everyone,

My cat slept all night.(next to me as always:) ) He hasn't vomited since yesterday - 8pm :thumbs up. I just gave him this morning at around 8:30 am a bit canned food(the one that the vet gave us last night). Now he is doing better - looking through the window. I took the day off today and will be looking after him if anything.. Thank you everyone for your replies:lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
November 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Good to hear he's alright :thumbs up

rainbow
November 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the update and glad he is okay. :thumbs up