Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with gates, please!

Tommysmom
November 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Ok, so this isn't entirely on or off topic so I wasn't sure where to put this, but I could really use your help on this! And yes, I promise to post pictures of Tommy and the baby if you guys can help me out:D.

We just bought a house and are moving at the end of December and I've been desperately searching for baby gates that will keep the drooly monster off the stairs but let Tommy have free reign of the house. He's small, and he's quiet, so if he were to encounter a gate on his way down the stairs you wouldn't know he was there... he won't bark, he'd just go back upstairs and pee in the hallway:frustrated:.

We did buy a couple of the Carlson pet gates with small pet door in them - not good, we have to return them as they won't be strong enough to hold the baby back. They're not appropriate for use on the stairs, either.

We are NOT handy people, really, not handy enough to make our own gates anyway.

We need to find suitable mounting gates (not pressure mounted) for the top and bottom of one staircase that will block baby access but allow furry access.

Has anybody ever found/modified/created anything at all that might work, or have any suggestions? You guys are the only ones who I thought might understand that the furry baby's needs are as important as the skin baby's safety!!

14+kitties
November 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Can you put a half door on the top and bottom with a doggy door in them? I don't know if that would work but it's the best this brain can think of right now. I don't like the baby gates they have these days. Most of the time a little pressure and they are coming down. Hardly safe enough for the baby once baby is big enough to start standing against it.
Oh, and it's not nice to call your hubby a drooly monster. :rolleyes:

Equla
November 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
How big is Tommy? We found gates that have vertical bars (at PETCO). The bars are probably 5 inches apart. If he's small enough, he could get through them, but a baby can't. They are pressure mounted to the walls and our kids climb over them (6 and 11 years old) and they don't fall down.

Probably won't work for any dog larger than about 10 pounds, but just a thought.

You might also try boards that are only maybe a foot or two tall. They are ugly, but easy for you to step over and Tommy to jump over, but the baby won't know how to climb over.

It's tough... these are the things I would try. I also like the doggy door in the half door idea.

14+kitties
November 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Equla - Tommy's pic is Tommysmom's avatar. He is pretty small.

Equla
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Equla - Tommy's pic is Tommysmom's avatar. He is pretty small.

I thought so, but didn't want to assume. :headslap:

I still didn't have the best advice. It's tough.

I asked DH and he suggested leaving Tommy downstairs during the day. When bedtime comes and the baby is asleep you can take the baby gate down or prop it open. That way Tommy gets run of the house when the baby is safely contained.

Another thing is if the baby is a toddler and you aren't right there every second, put the baby in one of the wheeled play thingies that they can run around in. Those can't go up stairs.

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Another thing is if the baby is a toddler and you aren't right there every second, put the baby in one of the wheeled play thingies that they can run around in. Those can't go up stairs.

The problem with those is they can go downstairs :eek:

Tommysmom needs a gate for the top and the bottom of the staircase to keep the baby from going either direction.

Gail P
November 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
We used to have one of the ones that's all wood and was mounted on the wall at the top of our stairs. It was hinged so it could swing open and it also was adjustable, sliding to fit narrower or wider openings as necessary. The installation guide showed you how high above the floor to mount it and at that height our cat was able to sneak under but it kept the dogs back. Being the wall-mount style it was quite secure enough for the top of the stairs.

Chris21711
November 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have absolutely no advice for you....sorry, but it is weird I was thinking about you last night....wondering where you had got to. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us :)

Congrats on your new family member.....photos, please :D

Tommysmom
November 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Can you put a half door on the top and bottom with a doggy door in them? I don't know if that would work but it's the best this brain can think of right now. I don't like the baby gates they have these days. Most of the time a little pressure and they are coming down. Hardly safe enough for the baby once baby is big enough to start standing against it.
Oh, and it's not nice to call your hubby a drooly monster. :rolleyes:
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
The door thing is actually all we could come up with too. It's a small house so it would look pretty bad but that just might be the way to go, I agree with you about the gates! Nothing we've looked at seems very safe and nobody we know is handy enough to make anything better.

How big is Tommy? We found gates that have vertical bars (at PETCO). The bars are probably 5 inches apart. If he's small enough, he could get through them, but a baby can't. They are pressure mounted to the walls and our kids climb over them (6 and 11 years old) and they don't fall down.

Probably won't work for any dog larger than about 10 pounds, but just a thought.

You might also try boards that are only maybe a foot or two tall. They are ugly, but easy for you to step over and Tommy to jump over, but the baby won't know how to climb over.

Yeah, Tommy's pretty little but his vision isn't that great... you've got me thinking though, I wonder if we bent the bars a wee bit it might be easy for him but not baby? We'll have to look into that!

I asked DH and he suggested leaving Tommy downstairs during the day. When bedtime comes and the baby is asleep you can take the baby gate down or prop it open. That way Tommy gets run of the house when the baby is safely contained.

This would probably work but we're big sucks, LOL... Tommy's favourite place to snooze is on our... well, his really... bed upstairs and I'd hate to stop that. We have a ramp we built for him to get up cuz it's such a high bed, and we actually have just ordered a new frame so it will be lower so he can get up and down without a ramp. We're kind of pushovers:o.

Tommysmom
November 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
We used to have one of the ones that's all wood and was mounted on the wall at the top of our stairs. It was hinged so it could swing open and it also was adjustable, sliding to fit narrower or wider openings as necessary. The installation guide showed you how high above the floor to mount it and at that height our cat was able to sneak under but it kept the dogs back. Being the wall-mount style it was quite secure enough for the top of the stairs.

Hmmmm... I'm going to check this out, maybe he could go under one!

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Would one that had a separate cat door on it work? If Tommy is smaller than the baby it might work.:shrug:

Tommysmom
November 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I have absolutely no advice for you....sorry, but it is weird I was thinking about you last night....wondering where you had got to. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us :)

Congrats on your new family member.....photos, please :D

I would never forget you guys, I read here all the time but it's tough to type with a baby in the arms, LOL.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, hopefully one of them will work!

And now... the two babies:lovestruck:. Please note that Tommy does not like the baby at all, nope nope nope. Therefore he must stay close at all times just to keep an eye on her, that's all:rolleyes:.:laughing:.

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
That's adorable!:lovestruck:

bendyfoot
November 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/3919143285_704bf017eb.jpg

we built gates for our stairs: the gaps are big enough for the kitties to come and go, but not the goggies. It was a pretty simple build...all you need is a saw, a drill, some screws and paint/stain, plus hinges.

muggsmom
November 23rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry, no suggestions, but a word of caution.....if bending bars or building a gate, make sure baby's head can't squeeze through. I've seen kids get their head stuck in places I'd have bet money on that they wouldn't fit.

It seems there is a product for everything, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with something for this problem. Any entrepeneurs out there? Tommysmom may have come up with a new business for you. :laughing:

Adorable babies, by the way.

Tommysmom
November 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Would one that had a separate cat door on it work? If Tommy is smaller than the baby it might work.:shrug:

LOL - at the rate she's going, that will work - she's already about 20 lbs at 6 months!

That's adorable!:lovestruck:

Tommysmom
November 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
we built gates for our stairs: the gaps are big enough for the kitties to come and go, but not the goggies. It was a pretty simple build...all you need is a saw, a drill, some screws and paint/stain, plus hinges.

Wow! That looks great - and I love how nice and clean the lines of your home look, so crisp and all... I'm going to show that to hubby and see if he could possibly figure a way to make one like that. Thank you!

Sorry, no suggestions, but a word of caution.....if bending bars or building a gate, make sure baby's head can't squeeze through. I've seen kids get their head stuck in places I'd have bet money on that they wouldn't fit.

Adorable babies, by the way.

Good point, we'll have to remember that because you're absolutely right. And thank you:D.

rainbow
November 24th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The pics are adorable :cloud9: and, like Chris, I've been wondering what happened to you as well so thanks for popping in. :thumbs up

I was just going to suggest that if your hubby doesn't want to make the gate like bendyfoot has (which looks great btw) then it probably wouldn't cost much to have someone make it. :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
November 24th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I would never forget you guys, I read here all the time but it's tough to type with a baby in the arms, LOL.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, hopefully one of them will work!

And now... the two babies:lovestruck:. Please note that Tommy does not like the baby at all, nope nope nope. Therefore he must stay close at all times just to keep an eye on her, that's all:rolleyes:.:laughing:.

Uh huh, yep it's so very obvious that Tommy does not like the baby at all, (and my what a cute baby she is...that Tommy does not like at all);)

I have absolutely no advice...I have tried gates and crates to contain my Kato, but ever since the age of 12 weeks he has been a Houdini (sp?), so I gave up.:rolleyes:

aslan
November 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Tommysmom, if DH doesn't want to do it, get the materials together and let me know you're not that far from me, i'll be more than happy to toddle over and put it together for you.:thumbs up

chico2
November 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Tommysmom,great to see you back,little Tommy is as cute as ever,obviously a very proud brother:lovestruck:
Baby-girl(what's her name?)is adorable:lovestruck:

mona_b
November 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Awwww your skin baby is ADORABLE.And so is your furbaby...:lovestruck:

Check out some of these gates...My sister and my nephew use the Safety1st Easy Fit Security Gate for my 21 month old Great Nephew...They also have dogs that have free run of the house.

http://www.sears.ca/catalog/home-safety-health-gates/1100792?extid=102309_ca_1search_2EN_3msn_4kids&baby_5Babies_6HomeSafety-Gates

Tommy not having "total" run of the house with the gate up is something he will have to learn...Unfortunately.

When I had my daughter, my first GSD Cujo was 4..He had free run of the house..When I put up the gates, he understood that he couldn't go upstairs..No big deal to him...When I would go upsatairs, he still came up.

Also, even though baby gates are up, you will still need to keep a very close eye on the little one...They love to climb them..My daughter did this and my Great Nephew pulled this stunt also...:rolleyes:

14+kitties
November 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hey Tommysmom, would something like this work for you?

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66767&page=2

We have two narrow pieces of wood (strips) on the inside of each side of a door post, and slot/slide a piece of plywood into it. That way the entire 'gate' can be removed if desired. It can be raised or lowered by putting something underneath it. The piece of plywood can have a cat hole cut out, or if it's not so high, cats can easily jump in and out.

You could put the plywood in when needed and take it out when that sweet baby :cloud9: is asleep so Tommy has access again. A piece of plywood is easily stored when not needed. If you used a heavier piece of plywood you can just put the slots further apart. You could also put in a doggie door so Tommy can come and go. Or, alternately, raise the plywood up high enough so Tommy can go under but baby can't.

Tommysmom
December 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Tommysmom, if DH doesn't want to do it, get the materials together and let me know you're not that far from me, i'll be more than happy to toddle over and put it together for you.:thumbs up

Thanks, Aslan! We're probably not far, I just might take you up on that offer!