Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barbara Amiel on Dogs, Bill 132 and Bryant

seeker
November 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
She is on our side people!

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/11/19/dogs-are-victims-in-a-scary-war/#more-91617

This appeared in the Nov 23 issue on Macleans magazine ,yellow cover, flu shot topic

chico2
November 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thank's,it was interesting to read about the history of the Caucasian Ovcharka,since we have a member here having had one who was sick and put down:sad:(Lukka)but now has another(Mishka),beautiful dogs.
It does seem like Barbara is on the side of the Pitties,but it's not going to change anything in Ontario,is it..
As for Michael Bryant,I am still waiting to hear what kind of punishment he gets for killing a man.

Equla
November 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Read the comments and see more ignorance. I especially love the poster, "Andrew" that says "It has nothing to do with 'slaughtering puppies'. People are not allowed to own pit bulls because people can't be trusted with them. They are not the only breed that has attacked humans, but they have the strength and tenacity to do serious harm, that a dalmation or jack russel does not."

Someone needs to let this guy know that Dalmations are next on the Big Bad List and will most likely be the next banned breed. And yes they are big enough to cause harm. Jack Russells were bred to kill rats. What do you think they'd do to a cat or an infant when trained badly?

How is it that whenever there is an article about banning any breed, even an historical article, the anti-pitts come out in droves? I understand why we seek these articles out. We love these dogs and want to see things going our way. Do the pitt haters sit down on the computer and search too? My only safe place seems to be here. You guys don't know my dog and I love you all for not hating him already.

chico2
November 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
You know,before joining this Forum,I only knew about pitties from the news-papers and honestly they scared me.
Until one day,I met a young man who had 3 beautiful pitties and learned different,he actually moved to another province when this idiotic law came to be in Ontario.
You know,Ceasar Millan is a great spokesperson for the"Pit-Bull"I wish he could join in Pit-Bull owners fight for justice for their dogs.

Equla
November 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Chico, I totally understand.

I was raised by my grandmother who bred rotties. At the time, in the late 80's, early 90's they were the breed that was causing an uproar in Reno, NV. Because of this, I got to hear both sides. I had friends who weren't allowed at my house because of my grandmother's dogs, and I got a good solid education about treating dogs as individuals from my grandmother.

Some of that was forgotten when I grew up and heard the bad things about the breed. I rented a room from a couple that adopted a former "bait dog." Poor girl was in bad shape when they brought her home, but she was the sweetest thing. Was gentle with the kids AND our 2 small Chis. I started to remember my upbringing and decided to give the breed a chance.

When I brought Mansa home, DH thought for sure he would eventually eat the kids or the cats. To this day, he is the angel of the house. Believe me, this being our first large dog, we suck at training. We give him love and try to get him to stop jumping up on people and running off to meet everyone. He has NEVER jumped on a child, and I know in my heart he never will. Not because we tell him not to. He's just gentle and understands they are little.

I watched him play with a 6 pound puppy. He wrestled with the puppy using his chin. Never opened his mouth. I could even see him trying to teach the puppy manners and how to meet other dogs. He's just a good boy.

I know we got very lucky with this guy, but I'm glad we ended up with the exceptional example of this breed. He helped my mother, DH, and my friends learn that pitties can be great dogs. I'm still working on convincing DH's family. I just wish I could introduce the world to my dog. Until you actually meet one, it's very hard to get over the menacing appearance and the stories.

I also agree that Cesar Milan is a great spokesperson. Unfortunately, his methods are very controversial and that keeps him in a bit of relative obscurity.

chico2
November 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Equla,Bailey(Cocker)my neighbors dog,whom hubby and I have walked for close to 4 years now,growls at everyone we pass,it's a little embarrassing at times,but imagine if she was a Pit or a Mastiff,or Rottie,she probably would have been put down.
She is in no way aggressive with us,she's a sweetie,but she's not to fond of strangers,maybe she's protecting us:confused:
Small dogs do often get away with being bad..

Equla
November 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Small dogs do get away with it. I think it's because people assume that if a small dog is going to attack you, it can't get to your face or cause much damage. I've even heard people say that if a chi attacked them, they would just kick the dog away.

My chi has actually bitten someone... on the face. He managed to get that high because he was in the water at the lake and swimming at eye level. It's so weird that everyone wrote it off as funny! I freaked out. We are now very careful with Miko. We don't let him around children he doesn't know and I watch him like a hawk now.

I personally think small dogs are more likely to attack because of the Napoleon complex they all seem to have. It just rarely gets reported when a small dog attacks.

Miko is probably a lot like Bailey. Loves us, but is really wary of everyone else. I think it's a fear thing with Miko. Maybe that's the case with Bailey

chico2
November 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
In Baileys case,she has no training what so ever and I don't anybody approach her,without doing it the right way.
She's never bitten anyone,she's mostly afraid of men,especially if they carry something:confused: