Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Huge Favour To Ask

Shaykeija
November 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Could you please go to

http://lifeofkira.blogspot.com/2007/06/spa-day.html

and give this lady some support. Her little dog is sick. I have invited her here and is she sees we are a caring bunch, I am sure she will join our pet loving family.

Kira is a rescue from Furbaby rescue.....

Thanks

Shaykeija

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Kira is sick, Shaykeija? :confused: There's nothing on her blog about it... :o

mikischo
November 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Just take off the last part and you'll get to the current posts. http://lifeofkira.blogspot.com/

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Got it :thumbs up Thanks, mikischo. Message left. I hope Kira responds well to the treatment :goodvibes:

Leprchn
November 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
I'm Kira's mom, Leprchn/Fiona.

So I wrote out a nice long message expressing my thanks for this thread and the support already offered, some background about my kids, and what lead up to Kira's current healthcare scare. Then my post took a vacation and is now floating out there somewhere inconveniencing electrons in its wake. Do you think I can remember everything I said and regurgitate it again? Of course not...

The blog Shaykeija linked to pretty much says it all so I'm not going to repeat it here, but I just want to thank all of you for taking the time out to read about this awful situation and to thank Shaykeija in particular for being such an excellent friend for so long, even though we've never met in person, and for the link to this site. I'm devouring anything about Cushings Disease as we're pretty sure that's what we're dealing with here. I should get the test results Monday or Tuesday to confirm a diagnosis.

I hate it when people join message boards just to resolve a sudden/emergent question, so I'll explore the boards more before posting much (to get 'the flavour' of the community).

My family, briefly:

SirWillyCat: Adopted from the Edmonton, AB SPCA on January 7, 1994 and is now 16.5 years old. I call him my crabby old man (or Cranky Old Bas***d, depending on his mood). He's a Tuxedo longhair.

KiraDog (the subject of the current health scare): Lhasa with possibly Bichon X (not sure). Adopted from Furbaby Rescue in WA state (I live in BC, about 45 min. from Furbaby). The rescue said she was 7 years old, my Vet figures she was closer to 8, if not older. So she's either 10 or 11 now - though for all we know she's 13+! She was a stray picked up and held in the SPCA for 5 months then made her way to Furbaby then to me. Furbaby has been very supportive of the current event (reported as per the adoption contract) and has offered advice about treatment options, which I spoke to the Vet about today with positive feedback.

I have no family to speak of, so if I could I'd fill my house with both cats and dogs - but I'm not crazy either, so I've limited myself to just one of each (also the townhouse rules say something about not being a crazy pet lady, or some such...)

Anyway, I just wanted to poke my nose in, introduce myself, and express my gratitude for the warm support - and this thread.

rainbow
November 22nd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Welcome Leprchn :thumbs up but sorry it's not under happier circumstances. :grouphug:

I've never had a dog with cushing's disease so don't know very much about it. There used to be a forum for it but unfortunately it has closed down. It is still available to read for information but you just can't post there anymore.

Here is the website in case you want to check it out ...

http://www.caninecushings.net/forums/index.php

TeriM
November 22nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Welcome to the forum Lepchrn. Sorry it wasn't under better circumstances for you :grouphug:. Kira's symptoms sound like it could be many things right now so hopefully you will get some answers soon :goodvibes:. I would also be a bit concerned that these symptoms appeared fairly soon after her vaccinations. Possibly the shots brought on some stress in her body that has triggered an autoimmune response?

Good luck and keep us posted on your test results, there are lots of people here who have been through lots of health problems and have some great knowledge. My own yellow lab is almost 14 with chronic liver problems that we have had good success treating homeopathically. We also have members who have treated kidney problems quite successfully.

A good tip for those long posts is to open a second pets.ca window and use the "Who's Online" window (under quick links) as it keeps refreshing every few minutes so it keeps your connection from timing out. Either that or copy and paste to Word before you hit post :thumbs up.

Leprchn
November 22nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
... I would also be a bit concerned that these symptoms appeared fairly soon after her vaccinations. Possibly the shots brought on some stress in her body that has triggered an autoimmune response?

My suspicions are certainly there! When I took her in thinking it was an infection (kidney or bladder), the emerg. Vet made an off-chance comment about what kind of vaccinations were used - of course I only had the bill showing what the vaccinations were for, not what brand/expiry date, etc. I asked if the shots could trigger an infection and he said they could. Now that we're talking Cushings, I've read that yes, "The third cause of Cushing's is one that we can create ourselves if we give a dog too much external glucocorticoid, especially for chronic conditions like allergies."

At the October 2 visit the Vet gave her allergy pills to resolve a rash left over from a flea party from the summer, on one hip.

So I was thinking either the allergy pills caused it, or merely triggered what was already there. I'm not prepared to challenge the Vet yet - at least not while she's holding a needle in Kira's jugular, KWIM?

A good tip for those long posts is to open a second pets.ca window and use the "Who's Online" window (under quick links) as it keeps refreshing every few minutes so it keeps your connection from timing out. Either that or copy and paste to Word before you hit post :thumbs up.

I usually copy a whole post onto the clipboard before hitting send so if there are any technical glitches, I can simply paste it back in - clearly, I forgot that little step. What can I say? I'm a dork!

hazelrunpack
November 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Welcome, Leprchn!

:goodvibes: for informative test results this week! I sure hope Kira responds to treatment quickly! :grouphug:

When things settle down, I hope you post pics of both the lovely Kira and SirWilly for us.

Oh, and another tip for long posts--when you log on, check the box next to the username that says "Remember me". If you time out or lose the connection while posting and you have that box checked, when you reconnect you can just arrow back a page and get your reply window back :thumbs up

Leprchn
November 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Regardless of current events, I can *always* share pics of the kids!

SirWillyCat (July 2008):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/Willy/SirWillyCat.jpg

Date unknown:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/Willy/BedHog1.jpg

KiraDog (Sept. 2009):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/DSCN1218.jpg

rainbow
November 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
WHAT :eek: ....you're only sharing two pics? :sad:

We love pics here and both Sir Willy and Kira are gorgeous :lovestruck: ....I love Kira's markings. :cloud9:

Leprchn
November 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Just remember, YOU asked for it!!!! When it comes to my babies, I could share pictures all day long - I'm worse than a new parent, even though they're not 'new' anymore :laughing:

Strike a pose:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/Kira/Kira20070704-1.jpg

Action Shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/Kira/ActionShot20080414.gif

I KNOW a piece of food fell here at one point, I gotta check anyway:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/Kira/Kiracleaningthefloor20070707.jpg

rainbow
November 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I love the action shot :thumbs up ....looks like she is having so much fun. :cloud9:

We have a photo forum here where you can post all the pics you want :D ....that way more folks will notice them. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
I love the action shot, too! But I also love the first one you posted of Kira. :lovestruck: She's a doll!

SirWilly is quite the handsome dude! :flirt: Does he always present the left side of his face in 3/4 profile to the camera? :D ("Here's my good side, Mom!" :cat:)

Leprchn
November 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
We have a confirmed diagnosis:

Cushings.

The Vet called me today with the results. Now, I can't remember what the number means, or what it refers to, but she said "650 something something indicates/is the low end of Cushings. Kira is at 1100. So it's definitely Cushings." The 1100 thingy is apparently VERY high.

The Vet is going to order in the Trilostane so treatment starts this week. 30 pills=$150. One pill a day for a month, then another test to make sure we're on the right track, then maybe taper down to eventually one pill a week...for life. It will take about a month for the symptoms (excessive peeing) to abate - buy stock in pee pads, m'kay? At least we have a confirmed diagnosis and treatment options.

I asked about the allergy pills if they triggered this and she said no, she wasn't on them long enough (10 days) and induced Cushings is usually the result of long-term allergy pill use.

I snorgled Kira and said in a happy voice, "you're my little Cushings girl now!"

All I feel right now is a sense of relief - we have a name for it and treatment options. The peeing in the house will eventually abate and I'll have my little muppethead back :dog:

(Sorry Willy, she's staying for a while longer...)

hazelrunpack
November 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
:grouphug: Knowing what you're up against is the first step to managing it. It's always nice when the tests can tell you definitively what's going on.

I love your vet--calling on a Sunday to give you the results! :D Waiting is the hardest thing for hazel. :o

Give Kira and SirWilly a hug for ol' hazel, k? And Kira--take your pills good for Mom and get better soon! :goodvibes:

Shaykeija
November 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
I am glad that you now know what is going on with Kira. She is one cutie pie..Kisses for her from me are requested...(and sneak a few in for Willie):cloud9:

rainbow
November 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Leprchn, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. :grouphug:

I know that Kira couldn't be in better hands :thumbs up but ouch for the cost of the pills. :eek:

I hope the cushings forum website that I posted will help you and please keep us updated with Kira. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Leprchn
November 23rd, 2009, 02:35 AM
I have that site bookmarked, as well as several others I've found on this board. Right now I'm on information overload, one says give this, the other says don't, then one says change the diet to that, while the other says not to feed most of those ingredients. Lots of contradictorary information so I'm going to start with the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.

I'll try the Vet's way first because let's face it, she's got a few years of hardcore education behind her, whereas I have three weeks on the 'net. She wins.

I had a long, hard cry this afternoon. All the stress of this, work, finances taking a beating, and Christmas just around the corner, the stress of it all caught up with me.

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
:grouphug: I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed when our babies are sick. Best advice--when it catches up to you, sit down, close your eyes, take some deep breaths and imagine the tension dripping off your fingertips. Works for me, anyway...for a while. :o

Kira's a lucky little girl that you care so much!

You'll get through this... Enjoy the good days and on bad days, remember that there's a good day coming soon! :2huggers: Most importantly, hang in there...this time will pass.

:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Your weekend going any better than the week did, Leprchn? :2huggers:

rainbow
November 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I hope things are going better for you now, Leprchn. :grouphug:

I can relate to the stress that you mentioned :o and hope that things look up for you soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Leprchn
November 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Five days on the Trilostane and she seems to be doing a little bit better. The peeing in the house seems to have abated (thank God!) but she's not eating her regular food hardly. A few bits here and there, but it's the same bowlful I put out 2 days ago. Oh, she'll eat treats, my food, etc. as she's obviously hungry, but won't eat her own food. I'm going to mix in high quality puppy food (even though she's a senior dog) so hopefully that will make it palatable.

She still shakes/tremors when she inhales, but usually once she fully relaxes (read: curled up on the couch), that settles. We go on very short walks, just circling the townhouse complex we live in before she's too tired and drags her feet.

So, the meds seem to be starting to help, still a long way to go before she's close to her old self, though. More blood work in a month so see if we're on the right track and the dosage is correct.

Today, after we spent the afternoon outside hanging Christmas lights:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Fiona9810/DSCN1366.jpg

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
:goodvibes: for continued improvement. Cushings can take some time to get under control. But it'll come :grouphug: When I was trying to get one of ours to eat, I made some broth by boiling a chicken breast till the meat came off the bone, strained the bones out, then shredded the meat into tiny bits and added some broth with the bits in to her kibble. Worked like a charm. Maybe that'll work with Kira.

Are things settling down some for you now? Were you able to get your car fixed? :o

Leprchn
November 29th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Oy with the car...so I took it into the claim centre on Friday and they estimated $1400 damage. There was no question I was hit when the car parked next to me tried to swing out of their parking stall. I saved some paint chips and they looked at them with a jewellers eye piece and said, "Yup, white truck. And the direction of the swipe is obvious." Coupled with the height of the scraping and the direction of the buckling, clearly not my fault. So very CSI.

I have 2 years from the date of the estimate to get it fixed and I have to pay the first $500 so I'm thinking February/March I'll be able to afford it. With Christmas, KiraDog, etc. I'm tapped right now.

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It's drivable at least? :fingerscr

Too bad they can't go totally CSI and match the paint chips with the exact vehicle...

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Oy, that last picture wasn't there when I came through before! :lovestruck: What a little sweetheart she is!