Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bull Mastiffs Shot and Killed in London, Ontario

friend2animals
November 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Front page news in the London Free Press today, reports that 2 Bull Mastiffs have been shot and killed by police after a neighborhood cat was literally ripped apart by these 2 dogs.

This same article has managed to include Pit Bulls in its report, stating that the Pit Bull population has decreased significantly since 2005...
This article also states that the Bull Mastiff is bred to "immobilize" its victims, and that the power of this breeds jaws is greater than that of the wolf...!
***This article does NOT state however, that the Mastiffs natural instinct is to pin, and hold its target to the ground, without any bloodshed or carnage. This may be a matter of poor breeding, inadequate socialization/training and last, but not least, irresponsible owners***

I really hope that this incident does not trigger a Ban on Bull Mastiffs. This report makes it sound as though Bull Mastiffs are as dangerous as Pit Bulls:frustrated:

chico2
November 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
I just like to correct you"Pit-Bulls"are not any more dangerous than other dogs,some owners are.
Bull-Mastiffs are huge dogs and I would hate for anything like that to happen to any of my cats,but shooting the dogs is crazy unless they were attacking the police.
This is one of reasons cats should not roam on to other peoples properties!

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
I suspect the dogs were roaming, chico. Sigh... If they were on their own property, I doubt the police would have shot them unless they were attacked.

I can't imagine letting my dogs or cats (if I had any :o) roam...can't fathom why either of the owners would do such an irresponsible thing. Now three animals have died in this totally preventable incident. :sad:

Equla
November 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
This is what sucks. We have inexperienced or irresponsible owners with dogs that are way too big for them. Any large breed has the potential to seriously harm a cat, a kid, or an adult. It's all because of their size and not their breed. You have to start early with training to ensure they are aware of their size and have the appropriate manners.

Unfortunately, the mastiffs are (stupidly, I know) mistaken for pitts all the time. I don't think they look anything alike, but it happens. On one hand, I'm glad we have an accurate account of what breed the dogs were so we don't have them mistaken for pitts. On the other hand, we now have yet another breed to demonize.

It's tragic that these dogs were never properly trained. My pitty has high prey drive, meaning he lives to chase anything that moves, but we've never let him wrestle with our cats. Not even when he was smaller than them and couldn't hurt them.

I do agree with friend2animals that breeds that were bred to assist in hunting were never supposed to rip apart their prey. What good is the bunny you just killed for dinner if the dog shredded it before you got there? I would expect a terrier to shred.

It sucks so much that owners don't do much research on their breeds before getting one. Even if they got one and did the research afterwards when the puppy was home, at least they would be educated about what makes their dog tick.

It really scares me that BSL will never quit and eventually we will have banned all breeds over 40 pounds. We bred the dogs bigger and bigger and now we have owners that can't control them.

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
It really scares me that BSL will never quit and eventually we will have banned all breeds over 40 pounds. We bred the dogs bigger and bigger and now we have owners that can't control them.

There are plenty of competent, capable, responsible big-breed owners out there. Unfortunately, they never make the paper. :sad: As in most other things, it's the bad 5% that ruin it for the other 95%...

chico2
November 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hazel,it does not say the dogs were roaming,but I guess we might read about in the paper tomorrow.

Equla
November 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
That just gave me an idea. :lightbulb:

Maybe proper BSL would be required obedience training for ALL dogs. Maybe a discount on your homeowners insurance or a tax break if your pooch passed the Canine Good Citizenship test.

I guess if it was for all breeds, then it would be BSL anymore. Kids are required to attend some sort of school, be it public, private, or home schooling. Why not dogs too?

Cathy1
November 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
This was the story in the paper.
Two dogs – large Bullmastiffs -- were shot and killed by police today after they attacked and killed a cat and lunged at several people in Old East London.

Police said they were called to Elias St. shortly before 6 a.m. after a report of two dogs attacked and killed a cat and over the next 30 minutes lunged at several residents, including a cyclist, a woman putting out garbage a man outside his home and a police officer.

None of the people were injured.

After the cat was killed, one of the dogs lunged at a passing cyclist and then chased another man into his vehicle.

When police and Animal Care and Control arrived on the scene, they were unable to capture the dogs.

One of the dogs charged at an officer, who fired and wounded the animal, although it fled.

The dogs continued running west on Elias and one of them ran towards a woman putting out her garbage. She, too, escaped by climbing inside her car.

The dogs then fled north to a rail yard where they were shot and killed by police.

“The dogs appeared to have been abandoned and were in very poor condition,” said Const. Amy Phillipo.

Police are now trying to locate the owner of the dogs.

Equla
November 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Ooooh boy! I sure hope they find the owner. He/She definitely needs to answer for this.

Cathy1
November 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
When I watched the news they said the owners were forced to microchip their dogs because of previous problems, so they do know who owns them.

mona_b
November 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Actually one was a Bull Mastiff, the other a Dogue de Bordeau..

The animals' owner had been fined and received court summons "numerous" times over the last several years, including for biting incidents that led to muzzle orders.

The dogs were not on their property, so yes they were roaming..:sad:

We have inexperienced or irresponsible owners with dogs that are way too big for them.

This happens with any breed and size of dog unfortunately. Most of the time it's irresponsible owners..As it was stated, this isn't the first time the dogs have bitten.

Breeds that have a high prey drive CAN be trained not to chase..:)

It breaks my heart that the dogs were killed because of the irresponsible owners..And I hope they get charged.

Love4himies
November 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I suspect the dogs were roaming, chico. Sigh... If they were on their own property, I doubt the police would have shot them unless they were attacked.

I can't imagine letting my dogs or cats (if I had any :o) roam...can't fathom why either of the owners would do such an irresponsible thing. Now three animals have died in this totally preventable incident. :sad:

You are probably right, hazel :sad:. Wonder if the dogs were roaming and attacked the kitty on the kitty's property.

I live on a small 1km, dead end street, heavily wooded so it is a favourite for people to walk their dogs. There is one person who allows their dog to run free on the walk and it runs into our yard, even around the back. Fortunately, every time I have not had my cats out because who knows what would have happened ...