Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

clumping cat litter

Catt31
August 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Here is an interesting article I read about kitty litter. My cousin had to put her cat down yesterday because of constant bowel problems. He only had about 2 inches of his old bowel, the rest had been removed about a year ago. He was constantly having troubles pooping. She wants to know if maybe this was the cause. What do you guys think???

http://www.catmom.com/marina/articles/clump.html

Princesss04
August 24th, 2004, 01:05 PM
When I first started on this board there was alot of talk about this. I had a few kittens die of unexplained death (the vets have no clue) and we disscussed that. He said that with kittens do not use it because they are just learn and they will get it all over their feet at than lick their feet and it gets in their stomach and causes problems. But he said that in older cats it was alright. So I use it and I think alot of people on here does. The vet could not give your friend a reason for the problem? I am sorry that this happened to her cat it is so hard to lose a family friend. Let her/him know that they are in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Catt31
August 24th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks Princess!!! The vet figured that Krash couldn't use his bowel anymore, it was too painful and there wasn't really another surgery they could do. He was only 6 years old, but has been having problems with pooping since I lived with them about 4 or 5 years ago!!! So since he was about 1 or 2, he's had probs.....weird!! I really wonder if that was the cause and it just deteriorated over the years to a point where he just couldn't go anymore!! Poor lil guy!!! My cats use clumping litter too, and I've never had a problem with it. I remember talking about it on here awhile back too and that scared me into trying something different!! When I tried to switch they didn't like it, so had to go back to the ol' faithful!!!

BTW Princess, how is your little dog doing????

Princesss04
August 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I know that I am using it on my cat (Cry baby) as well and he seems to be fine. There are so many things out there it is so hard to know what to use and what not to use. I read your article and it is interesting but also makes me worry am I doing the right thing by letting the cat use it. I do not see it on his feet that often but I know the dog has gotten in there a few times. We keep the baby gate up so he will not so I will have to keep a good eye on him. But is there not a danger in all kinds of liter.

Meat Loaf is doing fine, he is into everything. As soon as our scanner gets fixed I will post pictures. He is our little angel baby. So are you going to switch liters? Does your dog get in the liter box?

krdahmer
August 24th, 2004, 01:15 PM
That is a shocker.... I had never thought of that as the cause for problems I've had with more than one kitten. We now use Pet's Pal Silica Beads...it's more for me than the cats, it's a wonder for my allergies. It does also seem to suck up the urine and suck the moisture out of the poop, so I imagine it has the same danger as the clumping litter. The nice thing is it doesn't seem to stick to their paws at all. And I know that when Cordelia had to have a hard mass taken out of her paw (due to declawing her when she was young- before I knew how awful that was) the vet said to use the "recycled paper" kind of litter....maybe that should be used for kittens too while they get used to using the box.

Catt31
August 24th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Glad to hear MeatLoaf is good and healthy now!! What a traumatic time he had eh???

I know, I worry too whenever I read stuff like that, but I've tried switching litters and they hate everything else....I've tried recycled paper, pine pellets, wheat pellets, pearl crystals, and nothing..they **** on the floor until I change back to clumping!! Picky buggers!!! I don't notice it a lot on their feet actually, and Brick doesn't eat litter fritters!!! At least I've never caught him in there!!! LOL Thank God he isn't a poo-eater!!! UGH!!!

I think if you start a kitten off right away with recycled paper or pellets or whatever, they will use that forever. If I'd only known that 12 years ago!!! My next kitten will not use clumping, thats for sure!!!

Princesss04
August 24th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cry Baby is picky but he would prolly be okay if I changed it but it is more for me than the cat. So much easier and the smell is very little, and it last forever. I mean I dump the box (with a pooper scooper) two times a day but I mean you do not have to re fill it all the time. I have caught Meat Loaf in the litter box a few times and than once I was yelling for him and he came running and got on the couch like mommie was I doing something wrong and I went to love on him and he had liter on his nose and mouth NASTY DOG! He is to cute to be anger at I just do not want him eatting it (he does not that often) but I also do not want him getting sick again.