Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

oral syringe meds tips appreciated :)

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
i am in the process of administering liquid antibiotics to my kitten by syringe and not finding this an easy feat!

the vet tech recommended he be wrapped in a towel or blanket to prevent squirming, however, as he just had surgery, i dont want to risk hurting him...and he is a very squirmy, feisty lil man!

the only thing i am finding that works, is to wait til he is nearly asleep, then sneak it in his mouth - however, that seems kinda mean to me...poor guy is nearly snoozing and is ambushed by his syringe weilding crazed momma!

would the medicine maintain the same effectiveness if i tried mixing it in his food? or would it somehow lose its potency that way?

i am spoiled with kiila (my doggie) as she takes meds soooo easily - toss it in the air, she catches it, and gobbles it up!

aslan on the other hand, has much bigger and better things to do than take some meds from momma!

any tips?

thanks in advance! :)

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2009, 01:06 AM
I find it easier to syringe when you come up from behind, so say he's laying on the couch you have the meds ready to go, sit behind him or move him so you are, then lean forward over him so he is trapped by your body behind him & arms beside him holding the syringe infront of him - he certainly won't want to go forward to get away. The instinct is to back away from stuff, this way he can't because you are right there.

It depends on the meds as to whether or not you can mix it in the food, that you should ask the vet - some work best without food

However depending on the smell/taste if you were to mix it in the food he might start refusing canned food thinking there will always be that smell/taste in it. :yuck:

:goodvibes: good luck

rainbow
November 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
You have a kitty named aslan :D ....well just like one of the members here all you have to do is scratch behind his ear and he'll do anything you want. :laughing:

Seriously though, I would not add the liquid medication to his food for the same reason as growler mentioned.

I hope the suggestion growler gave you works but do not squirt it down his throat quickly ...it is best to administer it from the side of his mouth and slowly. Good luck. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
It's also harder to ensure he gets all of the meds if mixed into food ie if he doesn't finish all his food or someone "helps" :whistle: him eat his dinner :D

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
thanks growler and rainbow!
i will try the sneak behind trick when he he chillaxin' on the couch :)

i didnt think mixing it in his food would work...but figured it would be worth a shot to ask - and yes...kiila sometimes does help him finish his leftovers when she thinks no one is looking! :laughing:

kathryn
November 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Sometimes cats do not take well to the liquid medications. My one cat had to go on pills because when you gave her the liquid she would proceed to drool it all out.

With Timmy he had to have 4 separate liquid medications twice a day. It was just a matter of practicing and giving him treats afterwards. The only trick was to just come from behind to give it to him or have my mom hold him. If need be you can do a light scruff to get his head to tilt back a bit and to have more restraint.

quincymycat
November 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Definately from behind with your body blocking escape. I have 2 different types of ends for the tip of the syringes I use (my guy gets liquids bid) One is long and soft plastic. It allows you to get the tip into the mouth further, but it also allows the liquid to come out of his mouth faster too.
My favourite is a syringe with a tip that is long and part of the syringe - that is no threads. I put the tip into the side of his mouth and GENTLY hold his head still by holding his nose and lower jaw together. I then inject the liquid (10cc each time) slowly, allowing him to swallow as it goes in. Usually this has the best results for me and he is a BIG guy. If you want, I can try to post a pic of the different tips to see.
Good luck.:cat:

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
thanks kathryn!
i am doing it solo - i live alone with my aminals, so i dont have a helper. i kinda wish i was part octopus...it seems having a couple three extra arms would help :)

he is due for some in a few hours, so i will give the go-behind-stealth-mode method and see how it goes!
i feel like a medicine-ninja! haha!

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
thanks quincy!
maybe that is where i am going wrong...rather than hold his mouth closed and sneaking the syringe in at the side, i am trying to open his mouth a bit and squirting it in the side.

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
I find it easier to syringe when you come up from behind, so say he's laying on the couch you have the meds ready to go, sit behind him or move him so you are, then lean forward over him so he is trapped by your body behind him & arms beside him holding the syringe infront of him - he certainly won't want to go forward to get away. The instinct is to back away from stuff, this way he can't because you are right there.

It depends on the meds as to whether or not you can mix it in the food, that you should ask the vet - some work best without food

However depending on the smell/taste if you were to mix it in the food he might start refusing canned food thinking there will always be that smell/taste in it. :yuck:

:goodvibes: good luck

the go-behind ninja move worked beautifully today!
thanks!! :clap:

rainbow
November 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Glad to hear it worked :highfive: ...now how many more days to you have to do it? :D

budgrrl
November 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
today is only the second full day of meds...so 12 more days to go, twice a day! i ought to be a pro by then! :D

thanks again!

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
oy! 12 more days! I'll send along some :goodvibes: to help the medicine go down. :D

I'd send advice, only I have next to no experience with kitties :o

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
the go-behind ninja move worked beautifully today!
thanks!! :clap:

:highfive: WTG budgrrl