Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homes For Greyhounds Needed As Racing Track Closes

Diamondsmum
November 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
tory Created: Nov 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM EST
Story Updated: Nov 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM EST
MISHAWAKA A local nonprofit group that helps find homes for greyhounds is in a bind. The Dairyland Greyhound Race Park in Kenosha, Wisc., will shut down at the end of the year.
MULTIMEDIA
Watch The Video
Between 400 and 600 greyhounds will need homes.
The group is known as Allies for Greyhounds of West Michigan. It has volunteers in southwest Michigan and northern Indiana.
The group helps adopt out greyhounds that have finished their careers on the racetrack. And the group just learned that up to 600 dogs from the Wisconsin track will need homes.
"So there's a great need to get these dogs adopted out to agencies, to different adoption agencies," said volunteer Anna Silvers. "We're working with them to find them homes, get them adopted out or into foster homes."
A number of dogs from Wisconsin have already found homes locally.
Those who have already adopted the animals, or have found foster homes for them, say they are a special breed and they have a special place in their hearts for them.
"They're really low-maintenance dogs," said greyhound owner Kelly Marchand.
"I mean, they run for about ten minutes and they're good to go for the next four hours. They really don't need a lot. They like to sleep all day."
"They're very sweet," says fellow greyhound owner Melissa Sidenstrang.
"They're very gentle. They walk into your house almost as if they've always lived there. They're usually housebroken when you get them. They're very obedient dogs that listen very well."
"They're really, really friendly," says Sage Marchand, whose family adopted a greyhound. "I just think they're beautiful dogs. The best part I like about them is that they are oddly lazy, even though they used to run."
The group says the dogs just want a home.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/70151622.html

:sad: