Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick afer shots?

srm
November 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
So last thursday (12th) i had my cat in for a teeth cleaning, tear duct flush and his yearly booster shots (he's 17 months old). They had given him antibiotics at the time, and gave us some to give him once he got home, we give his last one of the batch today.

Last night i noticed him sneezing a lot, and then this morning he seems like his nose is getting all stuffy. seems like he's catching a 'cold'.

is it normal for cats to have this happen after the shots? i'm thinking way back here, but i think the same thing happened when we gave him his initial shots and the vet told us cats do not get sick from vaccine shots.

what do you think?

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
What's likely is that all of the stressful procedures he recently went through overwhelmed his immune system and opened the door for an illness to take hold. It's not a good idea to get vaccinated at the same time as undergoing a medical procedure requiring anesthesia. That's a lot for a little body to deal with all at once.

In the meantime, feed him some quality wet food and mix about 500mg of L-lysine into it. If he's suffering from a URI due to the herpes virus, this should help him overcome it sooner.

I would also cease any further vaccinations unless he's an outdoor cat (and even then, they shouldn't be given more than every 3 years).

srm
November 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
yeah, what's killer is we specifically asked the vet if it was safe to give him the vaccination with everything else, they said 'no problem'. i've since come to the conclusion this place was more interested in my wallet. I'm already looking for a new vet. Thanks! I'm already thinking of not bothering with the booster shots again.. he's strictly an indoor cat

lindapalm
November 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I had my cats teeth cleaned yesterday, and they gave him antibiotic shots. He was supposed to get rabies and I declined. He is sneezing and has a rattling sound and snores, which he never did. I hope is is from the anesthesia, will give it till Friday and will call the vet.