Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Allergy testing.....

Appleby
November 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry to jump in like this, being new to the board and all that. I have a Beagle, rescue from the Toronto Humane Society, with severe allergies, approx 5 years old. My vet wants to charge us $390.03 for the allergy test, which is money we can ill afford at the moment.

We live in the Alliston, Ontario area, does anyone know if there is somewhere else I could get this allergy testing done cheaper? Is it worthwhile getting the allergy testing done?

She's back on Vanectyl P until we can figure something out, as that is the only thing that stops her chewing her paws, chewing on her tummy and nether regions, and one pill twice a day is about as low as I can go.

Food wise we have her on Dick Van Patten's Allergy Vegetarian formula, but will be changing that the the Sweet Potato and Fish variety soon, as that is grain free to see if that helps.

We are at our wits end, and also the end of our money with this. HELP!!

t.pettet
November 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
My vet also asks $400 for allergy testing. I have a foster poodle who was also chewing on her feet and scratching incessantly along with a yeasty ear infection so I put her on Royal Canin Duck & Potatoe and at the same time treated the ear infection. For 8 wks she was fed exclusively this diet (no treats or any other food) and things cleared up, she's no longer red and itchy and seems much more relaxed. I was advised to try feeding her very small bits of other foods (1 at a time) like chicken. turkey or beef for 4 consecutive days and see if they are the allergic culprit.

Love4himies
November 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Have you tried a simple homemade raw diet?

rainbow
November 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM
If raw or homemade are not options for you then I would put her on a grain free kibble. I know you mentioned you were going to start feeding DVP's Sweet Potato and Fish but I would pick a brand that has a meat /fish protein as the first ingredient.

Check out Orijen and Acana Provincial (both made by the same manufacturer) www.championpetfoods.com or EVO www.naturapet.com

Both of these companies have their own manufacturing plants as well. :thumbs up