Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help....hair loss

beckiandthetrio
November 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hello--

Well things have been pretty status quo at my house since the awful month of september!!

My youngest Janie who is 4years old has been shedding alot more than usual. She is the one that had a feeding tube in for about a month and is now healthy as that goes and eats alot. I thought that maybe it was a winter coat coming in but i could nt remember my other cats every doing that now??

Anyhow, i just want to know how much is too much?? After my 1,000 bill from 2 cats just 2months ago I cant really afford the vet right now if its not an emergent situation. She is starting to get patchy though which is worrying me alittle. No bald spots yet. She had a full blood work up in september which revealed her liver disease but all other labs were normal and her liver labs have since been normal. She eats quality canned food mostly with alittle dry as a treat (wellness). Does the shedding indicate a vitamin defficeny or something??

Thanks for any advice!!

Becki

Love4himies
November 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
If your cat is eating a quality canned, it would be very rare that there would be any vitamin deficiency.

Have you had your cat's thyroid checked?

beckiandthetrio
November 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Last night I was racking my brain trying to think of what may be wrong!! I think I will call the vet and have her run a tsh and free T4 (do they do T3 too). It just seems weird that it all of a sudden seemed to come on.

Becki

beckiandthetrio
November 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Well, I called the vet last night after much deliberating and doing my own research. When I told her about my concerns that her Thyroid might be the issues she assured me that it is highly unlikely for a 4year old cat to have it. She said in her 20years of practice in feline medicine she has never seen it.

We talked about her symptoms and such but its hard to diagnose on the phone though so Im gonna bring her next week to see the vet. Hopefully its not anything major though.

I have a feeling the vet will encourage me to switch foods as it may be an allergy issue but i wont do hills!!! And Im not doing the solumedrol route either cause that is temporary and has long term affects plus my other cat had that and it defintely didnt last long.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to give alittle update.

Becki