Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

deformed puppy

carol kilmon
August 24th, 2004, 09:26 AM
My pup is 1mos old and he only survivor of a litter of 8. Both mom and dad are mine.After the heartbreaking loss of all the other pups , this was our miracle. After a couple weeks it was obvious all was not right. One leg was obviously deformed and the others just dont have the strenghth to support his weight . Pup is a golden retriever lab mix and absolutely beautiful. Vet said hips are deformed and he should be put down. I love this little guy and feel something can be done to help him. I dont have any idea of the cost or financial ability to do much. I dont know where to turn and heartbroken over this situation. Maybe just talking about it,to find help.....Watching him drag himself around helplessly is breaking m heart yet if anything can be done to help him I need to know.

Cflat
August 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Carol,
You must think about the dog and not yourself. Is he to have any quality of life? Will he be pain free? Have you the financial means to provide surgery or ongoing meds?
If you can honestly answer yes to all three of these questions then you should seek out another opinion from another vet. BUT your vet may be telling to put him down because he cannot be helped. You should consider it seriously.

heeler's rock!
August 24th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Carol, I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. To lose 7 puppies and have the only survivor be hurting, it must be extremely heartbreaking. I have to agree with Cflat though. It sounds like your pup is not going to have the best possible quality of life and therefore will only end up suffering more in the long run. The choice to end this little guys life must be unbearable, but you will be doing the right thing. He is lucky to have you for the short time he has, and just know that you are doing the right thing. Good luck to you and please post what you decide to do. We are all here to help in any way we can. :o

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Carol, how sad :(

I am agreement with the others. Please put this guy out of pain before you get more attached to him. He would have a very long unhealthy life ahead of him. I would listen to your vet. Even us here have not seen him, so very hard to comment.

The best of luck in your very difficult decision. Please let us know what happens and what you decide.

Heather

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 10:42 AM
As heart breaking as it is, truly, the only choice you have here is WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR PUPPY. IF you can afford the proper medical treatment, then consider that, however, to watch your puppy struggle for the rest of his life, that would hurt not only you, but imagine the puppy. Be happy and glad that you gave him quality of life for the short time he was here, but there is a peom out there, RAINBOW BRIDGE, read it, cry a lot, be happy!! My prayers and thoughts are with you.

chico2
August 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Yes,as heartbreaking as it will be,it is the right choice...
Poor little soul :(
I don't mean to be harsh,but since your dog had seven dead puppies and one deformed,maybe just a fluke,I don't know :confused:
But spaying the mother dog would probably be a good idea,to avoid any more tragedies.

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM
An unethical vet might encourage you to do a lot of expensive treatments, but the fact that your vet is saying there isn't any hope says volumes. No vet would suggest that if there was hope for good quality of life. Your pup would be the one to suffer. Sometimes the kindest act is to let them die peacefully. Not the easiest for you. My sympathies.

jenjen
August 24th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Like Debanneball said. Read Rainbow Bridge, Cry, and cry some more and know that you are the only person in the world that can make the right decision for this little guy. Good luck with everything and may the angels be with this special pup.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

SSAC
August 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Don't let your pup suffer :( I also recommend a book called "For every dog an angel" by Christine Davies? (avaliable @ chapters)

sympathies

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 07:18 PM
A hard decision but if need be, a life like this would be very difficult and painful.