Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calling all obedience class pros!

shan
August 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Annies first obedience class is tonight! :D I just wanted to ask all of you obedience class pros what may seem like a silly question...

The only leash I have for Annie is a retractable one. Is this type of leash acceptable for obedience class or should I be purchasing another type?

Also I have been reading good dogs, great owners, and I want to teach Annie a bunch of the commands (No bite, Off, Wait, Leave it....). I am confused about how many of these to teach at one time? Do I just get her to master one and then move on to the next, or do I try to teach her them as the command is needed? I dont want to confuse the poor thing!

Thanks for all the help!

Cflat
August 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I think you're putting the cart before the horse but its great that you are excited!!!

Your retractable leash will not likely be useful. You may want to give the teacher a call today so that you are prepared, but most times you will need a longe line (10-20 ft long depending). I like the 20ft ones. You likely also need a 4-6 ft lead and possibly a nylon choke. Just call the teacher so you don't go with a barrel full of stuff you don't need! :-)

shan
August 24th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Probably I am Putting the cart before the horse... I tend to do that!

Just so you dont think I am a complete nut, I bought the book before I found a class, because I didnt think there was any classes in my area! :D

Cflat
August 24th, 2004, 11:08 AM
I think its awesome that you bought a book. It means you are serious about what you are doing and educating yourself is smart.

When you get to the class you will find that there is a sequence of what your dog needs to learn. He needs the basics first. Sit, stay, come, heel. Then the world of learning is for you and he to explore! The possibilities are endless.

Have fun!

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 11:10 AM
The retractable leash will not do. You need a 4-foot leash to have better control of your dog.

You want to teach the dog one thing at a time and not to overload him. Your class will answer all these questions (and more!)

Heather

Writing4Fun
August 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Definitely call your instructor before you go. They all have different opinions (I'm surprised she didn't tell you beforehand :confused: ) but I'm pretty sure the retractable leads aren't good for training.

Our instructor insists on a 6 foot leather or nylon leash and a FLAT collar (no chokes or prongs in any way, shape, or form!). This is for the beginner classes. The longe lines are for more advanced classes when you're teaching recall and off-leash obedience. If you get into agility, you'll need an agility lead since they're not allowed to wear collars during competition - but we're getting ahead of ourselves again (See? You're not the only one who gets excited! :D ).

We generally learn 2 commands per class, and have a week in between to practice them.

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 12:08 PM
HEY, something I know about. Id did obedience clases with Stella.
- Your need a 6 ft. leather leash, my trainer provided a choak chain collar
for her. The 20 ft. training lead came in later, that would be for the stay command. Doggie school was fun, more for me to watch the other puppies try and behave. HEEL - Stella is afraid of dogs, so the dog in front of us was a standard poodle that walked backwards trying to get to Stella, and the dog behind us was a bassett hound, who just wanted to sniff her rear end...boy, was I happy when the poodle made a booboo, and off I went. STAY - she did good on all of the stay, but the one when you leave the room, needless to say, she was first to break. BUT, the best one is when they toss balls all over ane you have to get your dog to stay. But, by far, the best was :eek: PEACHES :eek: . Peaches was a puppy bull mastiff, she was pretty, and very very large, and wanted to eat every dog there. She was not too friendly, and her mother couldn't control her, so all you heard during classes was PEACHES, PEACHES, PEACHES..... But, you will truly enjoy yourself. Go, have fun. :p

shan
August 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM
I think it will be a ton of fun! I figure even if all Annie gets out of the class is some socialization, and exposure to new sights, sounds and situations it will be worth it!

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Don't go out and buy a choke chain collar for your dog without checking with your trainer. Our facility does not condone choke collars and wouldn't use them. Check first.

I would also check what size of leash to get.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

shan
August 24th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks Goldenmom!

I sure hope they dont want to use choke collars...not a big fan, especially since Annie has such a tiny fragile looking neck!

I think I will just go tonight and see what is needed. I am sure tonight will be more of a "meet & greet" mess of dogs and people. I am sure that she will have an extra leash if I come with the wrong stuff.

Goldenmom
August 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM
You and your dog will have a riot!

I swear by these dog training books (as does my trainers). I call them my "Puppy Bibles"

Please have a look at Dr.Ian Dunbars training methods. You can't get any better.

http://www.training-dogs.com/ian-dunbar.html

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls