Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

They're baaaaack !

Melinda
November 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
So my friends have returned to this side of the road, but only two so far, the other 15 haven't arrived yet. This is "mom" and her yearling munching left over plants in my flowerbeds, and no, it doesn't bother me, plus, I get free fertalizer!!!

Are YOU looking at ME?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_1207.jpg

I'm so happy I could just skip!!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_1209.jpg

Love4himies
November 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Awwww, are deer just so calming to watch :lovestruck:. Very similar to horses, I find. Their dark eyes just make my heart melt.

Melinda
November 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I have to agree with you love4himies, and like horses they have a "pecking" order and I love sitting in my sunroom figuring out who is who, you really do get to know each individual one by their quirks

pbpatti
November 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I love watching deer but do not have the opportunity that much. Does the whole herd come to your property? :cool: can't wait to see more pictures Melinda

Bailey_
November 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm surprised that doe still has her baby with her! All the 'Moms' here have abandoned their young already.

Great pictures!! They're beautiful!

Melinda
November 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Baily, the fawns usually follow mom till its mating season for them, last year we had the mom with the twin yearlings, a riot to see those two. and usually if there is another young buck in the herd most will stay together in a family unit. at least thats what we've observed in the last 25 yrs since we've been studying them.

pbpattie, yes, the whole herd uses the field beside us as their personal resting spot and as a path to get from the bush on one side of the road to the one beside our home, some mornings we'll wake up to a few sleeping under our tree's, they don't always stay in one large herd during the day but will meet up periodically, we get the odd ones during the afternoon but by 4-5 pm the herd will all be here, I'm anxious to see who all comes back this year

Bailey_
November 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
That's so awesome Melinda! Must be nice to see that. Do different species of deer do this differently? We usually start seeing lone fawns around mid-september, we've always assumed they have been left, but this makes me think they haven't been.
Interesting!

chico2
November 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Awwww Melinda,they are beautiful,you are sooooo lucky...maybe I can move in to that little house,would be perfect for me:laughing:I can watch the deer all the time:laughing:

rainbow
November 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I love watching the deer come through the yard too. :cloud9:

Unfortunately, we hardly get very many anymore :sad: ....I think the kajillion coyotes have been attacking them up above us. :cry:

Dog Dancer
November 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
They are so lovely and peaceful looking aren't they. Calms your soul just to watch them.

Melinda
November 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
chico, you can move into our "formerly known as" treehouse, now my garden house *L* ummm do you mind keeping the noise down though, the bats are sleeping in the ceiling *L*. my plan this year is to dress in my ski doo suit, take a thermos of coffee and sit in there with my camera, its only about 25 feet from my door but you see all the action from there.

Bailey, I'm not really sure about other types of deer as this is the only type around here, but I do know we also see the lone yearling from time to time.

Golden Girls
November 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Awsome :cloud9: Your sooo lucky Shell to be able to see deers up close like that, such a peaceful view. Thanks for sharing but ... just a misely two??? lol

Melinda
November 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
*L* sorry, I'll take more next time they're here, by winter it will be daily

BMDLuver
November 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
If you keep your dogs shedded fur and plant a bit of a trench around your perennials then they will not go near those perennials. Also, when you go to get your hair cut, ask the salon if you could have a bag of the human hair clippings, works really well!

I'm hoping your dogs are vaccinated against Lyme with those deer hanging around.

Also, check where fresh hoofprints are when you start getting snow and it's a mild winter day. You'll be amazed to see the fleas jumping in the tracks.... when we were up at the cottage 2 springs ago, we discovered it. Imagine how the poor deer feel. :offtopic: