Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's your favorite movie?

SSAC
August 24th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I truly believe that what movies you like, says alot about your personality.
So.....What's your favorite movie/movies?

I watched "bad Santa" on the weekend and found it to be hilarious. (but then I do have a sick sense of humour).

Loved: Snatch ( I grew up around Pikey's :eek: ), Lock stock and 2 smoking barrells, Mean machine(vinny Jones again :) ), Bless the child, 6th sense, exorcist.

To name but afew. ;)

doggab
August 24th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Have you seen Momento? Now that's a twisted flick. There's also an alright prequel/sequel to it as well. I enjoy movies that make you reflect after its over...it must be the eeriness of it all!

I have to admit to being a huge Julia Roberts romance fanatic, tee hee!

iRONKNiGHT
August 24th, 2004, 06:08 AM
What's your favorite movie/movies?

My List..

Dune - 1984 Sicfi

Kundun - 1997

Braveheart - 1995

Lord of the Rings (1,2,3) (2003-04) Fantasy

It's a Mad Mad Mad World 1963 Comedy

Raising Arizona - 1987 comedy

Saving Private Ryan - 1998

Gladiator - 2000

Nigh on Earth - 1991 (Rare) VHS only

Amelie - 2001 (movie from France)

Pelle the Conqueror - 1988

Trojan war - 1997 (Rare) VHS only

Everything IMAX*

These are all HIGHLY RATED movies and some of my favoirtes i'll keep adding as i can think of them!

Iggette
August 24th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I truly believe that what movies you like, says alot about your personality.

Interesting thought, perhaps after we post the movies you can post what it says about us........lol

My personal favorite is "The Lord of the Rings" I was thrilled when the movie came out each year as I read the book some 20 years ago and they did such an awesome job. I now have the DvD's and love to watch them at night to fall asleep just like a bedtime story.....lmao

Iggette
August 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Have you seen Momento? Now that's a twisted flick

I saw that recently....wouldn't mind seeing it again you really have to pay attention to figure it out in the end I love movies that make you think

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Hey, all of those are great movies, but sorry, here comes the kid in me,
how about ET, who can resist that face.....and of course, Robin Hood with Kevin Costner, who can resist that butt... And for laughs, there was a old movie with Dan Akyroyd who played a blind man, he fell in love with this girl, they travelled to Niagara Falls, sorry I don't know the name of it, it was black and white, but funny, I pissed my pants!!! Have a good day everyone..off to work.

badger
August 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Truly Madly Deeply - romantic, funny AND literate - available on video. Has rats, but no cats. Might be a chick flick.

Writing4Fun
August 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Iggette, I'm with you. Read the LOTR books ages ago (still pull 'em out to re-read them once in a while) and LOVED what Peter Jackson did with the movies (so rare to find a good book-to-movie transition). They are now my all-time faves! :D

Ahhh, Snatch. Now THERE's a funny movie (and of course, Brad Pitt all muscly and tattoo'd - Mmmmmmm...). What was it like growing up with Pikeys??

Sorry to all the horror enthusiasts out there. I'm a colossal coward. Can't stand any movie where dead people don't stay dead. :eek:

Of course, noone can refuse a good butt movie. Have you seen The Replacements with Kianu Reeves? Now there's a man who can fill out a football uniform! :cool:

So many movies, so little time ... even less now that we have to keep reporting back to this dang blasted forum!! :p

Cactus Flower
August 24th, 2004, 09:52 AM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I know every line from beginning to end.

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Great thread! I love movies!
My favorite has to be horror movies, scary, thriller types. Stephen King!!!

I love Julia Roberts too... Sleeping With The Enemy, Pretty Woman, My Bestfriends Wedding.

But if I had to pick an all time favorite, don't laugh at me :) I would say Dirty Dancing... I know every word and song from that movie and I still get goose bumps during the final dance. :) I can't believe I just said that.

GsdDiamond
August 24th, 2004, 12:21 PM
My favorite has to be anything with Judy Garland. I've loved her singing and acting since I was a little girl.

Recently added favorites: Butterfly Effect (with Ashton Kutcher) I know, I know...surprised by the fact he can act? Me too! Great flick!
Secret Window: Great psycological (sp?) thriller!

heidiho
August 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Scarface is for sure one.

Stewart
August 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Mine has to be The Life Of Brian !( the monty python team ) Because if you dont see the funny side of things then lifes not worth living ! ;) Oh also I tend to like Gangster stuff such as Goodfellas etc :D

Writing4Fun
August 24th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I LOVE Monty Python!! :cool:

Has anyone read the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" books? The movie and TV shows didn't do them justice at all! I heard they're coming out with a new movie, though. Should be fun!!! :D

Stewart
August 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Did follow some of the Hitchikers T.V. shows very funny never read any though ;)

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I love anything with Mel Gibson. Love that combination of naughty, devil may care, sensitive, handsome, comic, I could go on and on. Well, maybe leave out the Mad Max stuff - didn't like those. I told my husband if I ever find Mel hiding under my bed, I wouldn't kick him out. Hubby generously agreed I could keep him - if I ever find him hiding under my bed. :rolleyes:

meggie1425
August 24th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I LOVE scary movies, but not movies like friday the 13th were someone just goes around killing people (although i do like the movie texas chainsaw massacre) , more like the types of movies that your scared while watching it, but you dont even think about it when its done, like the 6th sense, what lies beneath, etc. Im also looking foward to the new exorcist movie!!

heidiho
August 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Meggie horror movies are the best,Texas c m the new one was great,first friday the 13.first halloween

Sunkist/Winnie
August 24th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Steel Magnolias. I watched it so much I wore out the tape and had to buy the DVD!

meggie1425
August 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
heidiho i agree, the 1st friday the 13th and halloween were good, but then they started adding stupid sequels that have absolutly no plot. Jason X had to have been the stupidest movie ive ever seen, same with freddy vs. Jason!!And now their coming out with a new chucky movie!! They should just make one good one and end it at that!!

heidiho
August 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Iknow,i cant believe how they ruin good movies,did you see the one where he was in space??And one where he was in manhattan??? First exorcist was good to...

Princesss04
August 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I LOVE Lord of the Rings (all of them) and ANYTHING with Julia Roberts in it :D

shihtzulover
August 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I love comedy movies, anything with Adam Sandler, I also like any movies with Drew Barrymore in it.
I think my all time favorite is Top Gun, an oldy but a goody.
I don't watch any movies where animals die, I don't even watch old westerns because horses usually die, I know they are acting but still don't like to watch it.

Writing4Fun
August 24th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I don't watch any movies where animals die
Oh, those are a definite NO-NO! Old Yeller - cried for weeks. Bambi - have to leave the room when the kids ar watching. Another thing I hate about horror flicks. When the dog gets it, you KNOW you're in deep trouble!!

The only Stephen King movie I watched (forced to watch by horror-loving friends! :eek: ) that didn't give me nightmares for years was Cat's Eye. If memory serves, it's actually a happy ending - especialy for the cat! I read somewhere that Stephen King loves cats - that's why they're usually portrayed as the "good guys" in his books (not that I'd know, 'cause I've never read any of his books :o ).

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I just remembered one, it made me cry...SEABISCUT :D T

chico2
August 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Well,children :D :D No horror flicks for me,nor science fiction :eek:
I have seen Dirty Dancing 6 times,An officer and a gentleman 5 times,LOVE Richard Gere,yum :) Ghost,also love Patrick Swayze.
Doctor Zivago(Sp?)Unfaithful,with Richard Gere,Diane Lane....there is just too many to mention.
I sometimes like movies from the filmfestivals,like Ararat,but they are usually very dark and depressing..
Hubbie and I also watched,The Lion King,Babe(loved it!)and lately the fish-cartoon movie,forgot the name :confused: and a loong time ago there was a movie called Charlotte about a spider,cured my fear of spiders :D Always a cild at heart.
I hated Lionheart,although I love Mel Gibson,too much violence,not enough kissing!!
The last of the Mohicans,with Daniel Day Lewis(great actor!!)I've seen at least three times.

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM
A few movies I forgot, you all reminded me.
GSDDiamond...Butterfly Effect and Secret Window, awesome movies
Two of you said Texas Chainsaw Massacre the new one, I love it!
And Sunkist.... Steel Magnolias, I can't believe I forgot this one, my tape is so fuzzy from watching it so much!
Finding Nemo is really really good too, I love Ellen in that, she is so funny!
I also love Any Disney movie...except for the fact that they put those bad parts in them!! It kinda makes me not want to watch them.

I guess I really don't have one favorite, I just love movies!!! :)

chico2
August 24th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah Sneaky,Finding Nemo,that's what I meant :D
another all time favourite of mine"Dances with wolves"Kevin Costner....I don't know how many times I've seen it :D

melanie
August 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM
i love dog movies
all dogs go to heaven (my dog is named after main character charlie)
new fav legally blond 2, oh great dog movie, fantastic story :D

human movies-
give my regards to broad street by paul mcartney, came out in 80's, my fav as young girl and still my fav (also have the soundtrack on record :eek: ).
more recently
Donnie Darko, fantastic piece of film

and a million more beautiful pieces of work

Shae
August 24th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I have several favorites movies including Pirates Of Caribbean, Shrek 2, etc,etc....think of them later but if one that touched me so deeply and I reccomend everyone watch it, as a tribute to the late Dian Fossey, is,
Gorillas In The Mist. True story. Get out the kleenex.
This woman is a perfect role model for people unsure how we should treat the animals.
Another good one is Born Free (another true story,......and yes, again several boxes of tissue needed!)

SSAC
August 24th, 2004, 07:08 PM
"What was it like growing up with Pikey's" :eek: ....................Hmmm

Alot of fun, scary at times. Had to listen to mum saying "you're not allowed to go over there and play with them anymore, they're no good, always in trouble". Once friends, very loyal. Still speak with a couple of them. The stereotype in snatch is so true. My dad re-lived his youth when he watched the movie. (he used to box in the east end, London, England) ;)

I must say that I'm not into "girl" movies, but then mum always said I was a "tom boy". Do like horrors, action. Did love the LOTR's. Love Monty Python. (just a flesh wound) :D and I vaguely remember watching Hitchikers guide with my brother (I was younger). I think I remember a part where the cow comes out in the restaurant and asks the patrons what part of him they'd like to eat :confused:

I remember watching an animated movie called "plaque Dogs" when I was about 10 yrs old. Its about two dogs that escape from a vivisection lab. It's soooo sad. I cried, became an Animal rights person, a veggie etc. ( I eat meat now -shame :o ) Then I saw it on the space channel last year, taped it, watched it and still cried. :( (How the mighty fall :D )

Bill & Bob
August 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Anyone catch Jason vs. Freddy? Since we have so many Friday the 13th fans in here I'm sure someone must have seen it. Great horror flick. Jason's my hero. For Halloween last year I did things up right and got out the old coveralls, work boots, hockey mask and splashed fake blood all over myself. Took out the clippers and did a real hack job on my hair too for effect. I even found my old machete my friend brought back from Jamaica for me as a gift! Had to hide it later in the evening though. Party we were at started to get a bit roudy...

Another fave......GOOD FELLAS!

doggab
August 24th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Just to add a few other honourable mentions:

I completely forgot about LOTR!!! My shih tzu is an exact replica of Gollum... scary but irresistibly cute. Big Fish which I swear was based after my husband's grandfather's life story and House Of Sand And Fog which was horribly robbed of an Oscar... there was much more emotion involved in comparison with Mystic River.

krdahmer
August 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM
SHAG:the Movie.....great chick flick
HAIRSPRAY....Ricky Lake at her finest
Anything Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler!!

And as for Windy and Smoke....

Video Catnip DVD all the way!!!!!!!!! :D

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Anyone catch Jason vs. Freddy?

I have that one... I have all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies too... Gotta love Freddy's sick humor!

But I must say that Halloween still belongs to Michael Myers. :D I have all of those too, he creeps me out!

Cactus Flower
August 24th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Mine has to be The Life Of Brian
Love Monty Python. (just a flesh wound)

OOOOOOOH if it's going to be comedy LET IT BE MONTY PYTHON!!!

I've seen them all- LOVED Life of Brian! The "Big Nose" scene was hysterical (sermon on the mount).

Let's hear it for the Knights who say NI! :D :D

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 09:29 PM
We don't rent horror videos or any with violence and loud music. Den-Den gets upset and will stand behind my chair, trembling. Last one we got, we turned it off and rewound it and took it back. The clerk asked us how we liked it and we told him it was too violent. He let us take a different one free! I loved the Bengi movies and Gentle Ben. I don't remember the name, but the last movie with Kirk Douglas with other members of his family made after his stroke was great. He reminded me so much of my Pop!

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 10:04 PM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I know every line from beginning to end.

GET LOST I love that movie!!!

I'm more of a classics person I really have little liking for most of the modern movies.

To Sir With Love

African Queen

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Now Voyager

Lillies of the field

are a few of my fav's

If you've never seen them, you're truly missing out!! ;)

krdahmer
August 24th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Oh....and the Colour Purple

Steel Magnolias

The Big Chill

and Ferris Buellers Day Off....I mean I gotta love it, I've seen it like 100 times!
( Or is that just cause it seems to be on every day I am sick!!!!) ;)

dreaminrainbows
August 24th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I have a huge list of movies I love...but my all time favs are...

A Walk on the Moon - Viggo Mortensen/Diane Lane

LOTR Trilogy

Bed of Roses - Christian Slater/Mary Stuart Masterson

The Green Mile - Tom Hanks

Dirty Dancing

Pretty Woman

...I could go on and on.....

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
oooh, Bed of Roses! Great movie!!
Green Mile was excellent! Tom Hanks is awesome all around though.

krdahmer
August 24th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Ya he was great in The Terminal too....I love him as an actor!

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I haven't seen that one yet... but it's on my list :)

dreaminrainbows
August 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
I wanted to see the Terminal at theaters but I missed it.. :( Can't wait til it comes out.

Cactus Flower
August 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
As far as horror flicks go, give me a good vampire movie and I'm one happy camper.

Gary Oldman in "Dracula".......oh my.......(*fanning self*)......

If anyone saw John Carpenter's "Vampires", that was filmed right here in New Mexico, and is a great representation of our geography. Beautiful! Made me so proud. If something is filmed in N.M, I'll go see it. "Valek" was the vampire in that one....(*swoons*)....

I confess I've watched The Mummy Returns a few times, simply to ogle Imhotep. Eye candy. I did that just a few nights ago, actually. Fast forwarded to all the Imhotep parts LOL. How's that for a confession?

But Mickey Rourke will forever be my favorite obsession :D

Sneaky2006
August 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I hope I don't sound dumb here but what the heck is a Imhotep? :D
Really lost here...

glasslass
August 24th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I believe he was the mummy?

Writing4Fun
August 24th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide - absolutely hilarious books. The TV show didn't do them justice. I remember reading them on the metro on my way to work, laughing my fool head off, people changing seats to be as far away from me as possible... :D If you like the Monty Python type of humour, you'll love these books - I promise!

Cactus Flower
August 25th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Sneaky mah friend.....rent the movie- I promise you'll like it, even with the sound OFF ;)

Imhotep was the name of the resurrected Mummy. Except once he got his flesh back, he didn't look like...you know....a shrivelly rotten MUMMY.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Man O man.. I love my movies! Me and my fiance are big movie people. I love all the new Disney cartoons i.e. Shrek 1 and 2, Finding Nemo, ice age.. (I dont even have kids!) lol... I love the Movie memento too! that was a good one. Mel Gibson movies are great bc hes in them! His sexy, serious/funny style is so appealing, you cant NOT like him! Anyone see 3 amigos? Thats a classic! and Tommy boy? Ive seen those a thousands times and still pee my pants. Pirates of the Carribean is a good one to. I love all movies that keep you guessing and I love psyhcological thrillers too! i just seen without a paddle this weekend and it was very funny. I definetly recommend that one, iRobot wasnt to bad either. Sorry.. I like movies to much. All I have to look forward to is good movies and my animals!

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Well, when Imhotep really opened his mouth, it looked a little rotten then! :D

Cactus Flower
August 25th, 2004, 12:16 AM
No kiddin, GlassLass?

I guess I wasn't looking at his MOUTH! LOL LOL LOL ;)

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Ooooo! Bad girl! BAD girl!

Cactus Flower
August 25th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Guilty as charged! ;)

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah!! gotta give you that point! Ummm Hmmmmm!

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 12:29 AM
OK! Time to dust off those Mummy movies and watch 'em again!! :D :D

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 12:31 AM
That one doesn't appear to be too dusty! Not with CF around! :D

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 12:40 AM
W4F, did we lose wolf-girl? :rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
August 25th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Re: Wolf-girl

She pm'ed me, we exchanged words, I suggested she delete her post (therefore the thread) if she didn't want our "feedback" in the first place. Maybe she took the advice?

(Sorry to hijack)

Sneaky2006
August 25th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Awww, I missed the Imhotep talk.
Nice pic... I bet he's more than just EYE candy. ;)
I'm gonna rent it!!

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Re: Wolf-girl

She pm'ed me, we exchanged words, I suggested she delete her post (therefore the thread) if she didn't want our "feedback" in the first place. Maybe she took the advice?

(Sorry to hijack)

More likely is that LuckyRescue or Marko got fed up of her ranting and deleted it for her.

Don't worry, GlassLass. She'll be back! :D Wonder what it'll be next time? :rolleyes:

meggie1425
August 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Bill & Bob, i saw freddy vs. Jason, and i wasnt to impressed with it. It was alot better than alot of the other jason movies though (this one actually had a plot to it!!) i have to say, i like freddy better than jason. I was hoping he would win!

Bill & Bob
August 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
The Freddy movies were good at the beginning, but then they took a decided downturn in my opinion. The first one scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. I loved it. I even bought the record they put out (Yup an LP, it was a while ago) Freddy and the Elm St. band! They did cover songs of all sorts of stuff with Freddy as the lead singer. Very creepy. Still got it actually. Somewhere.

Anyone a fan of George C. Scott? I ended up watching a DVD of Patton a while ago and liked the film so much I bought the DVD.

Leaving Las Vegas is a great film too. A little depressing. In fact a lot depressing, but a good film none the less.

SSAC
August 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Vampire movies ....................Wesley Snipes as Blade :D

Didn't like Interview with a vampire -can't stand Tom Cruise....Weasle like.
Loved The Others , Unbreakable, Gothika, Stig Marta etc etc.

Watched a house of a 1000 corpses -very disturbed movie, liked it though :D (what does that say about me :eek: )

Going to rent Mystic River this weekend........looks REALLY good.

heidiho
August 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
1000 CORPSES WAS GREAT,HE IS MAKING A SEQUEL TO THAT..Mstic River is really good,but sad

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Dirty Dancing

What Dreams May Come

The Fast and the Furious

AND

2 Fast 2 Furious

oh, imagines! :p :p :p :D

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/2_fast_2_furious/_group_photos/eva_mendes16.jpg

and

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/2_fast_2_furious/tyrese_gibson/fast2.jpg

melanie
August 25th, 2004, 06:26 PM
bill and bob, have you read the book patton?? the movie based on it i think (the book that is). it was written by Ladislas Farago, my husbands great uncle (who was a spy in the vatican ratlines, although that is another story altogether). good read. just wondering, hey isnt that 6 degrees of sep in an academic sort of way, lol :D :D :D

grew up with jason, my babysitter loved it and we watched it a 7yo when parents out, babysitter swore us to secrecy, still picture that mask and chain saw.

monty python, forced to enjoy as a child, i love the beserks, the holy grail is good.
and as a catholic just let me say this in a high choir voice
"every sperm is sacred, every sperm is good, every sperm is wanted in your neighborhood" lol lol

dune, well i was forced into that as a child too, absolutly terrifying, i couldnt watch rocky horror pic show at 16yo but had seen all of dune and monty python by the time i was ten, sheesh, growing up with nerds, surely i can sue for the damage they did, dorks :eek:

can i just mention a marvelous piece of work ,whose contents are not why i find it so attractive (the content i dont really like all to much, not overly fussed), but the way it was made is so creative and works the imagination till you fall of your seat. now dont call me sick or anything, i am talking production rather than story lines.
but it has to be
'a clock work orange'. dont scream in horror, its not that bad really. the most amazing thing about this cuberick (spelling bad) film is he does not show very much violence but rather implies it, and your imagination goes wild about what you think is happening. its that implication of a topic that fascinates me, a very talented writer and producer. :D

Shelby
August 25th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Zoolander!!

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Has anyone seen Muriel's Wedding?

Cactus Flower
August 26th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Melanie- thanks for sticking the sperm song in my head. It's been running loops for an hour now. :D

A Clockwork Orange is a CLASSIC- fantastic film. Kubrick never got any better than that! Remember the milk-bar? Loved it loved it.

melanie
August 26th, 2004, 01:43 AM
"your TERRIBLE muriel"

writing4fun you just had to didnt you, you mean mariel heslop dont you :D i love muriels wedding, anything aussie is generally a classic for me or anything with great aussie actors like toni colette (muriel). oh love it and dont you just love sophie lee in it (she plays number 1 dumb blonde) she is a top actor, OH THEY ALL ARE REALLY. ahhh a classic. there are about 400000 aussie movies that i love, it is our sense of humor and our tacky lives shining through that gets me, so funny are aussie movies.

ooohh sperm song, ha, ha, ha, ha :D

i agree kubericks best ever

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Has anyone seen Muriel's Wedding?

That is such a great movie, I own it!!!

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 02:28 AM
OK! Time to dust off those Mummy movies and watch 'em again!! :D :D

Can't... LOL... not allowed to watch Mummy :eek: or Ghost :eek: movies... Hubby got tired of me sleeping with the lights on!!!! :rolleyes:
(Seriously I actually made him sleep with them on when he MADE me watch The Mummy.....ew...heebie jeebies right now....oh great....flashbacks!!!!)

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Seriously I actually made him sleep with them on when he MADE me watch The Mummy.....ew...heebie jeebies right now....oh great....flashbacks!!!!
Seriously?! You didn't find them funny? I'm the type who'll have nightmares for months after watching a scary movie (Freddie still haunts me at times, and I only ever saw the original!!). But I can watch the Mummy movies no prob! They're great! More like Indiana Jones than anything. :)

Cactus Flower
August 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM
krdahmer- can you hook me up with some of those flashbacks? :D

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Yup, the Aussies sure know how to make a movie (and I'm not even an ABBA fan! :p )! Melanie, what did you think about Strictly Ballroom? I haven't seen Muriel's Wedding in ages. If I ever find a copy, I'm definitely buying it ... but I don't think I'll ever see it in WalMart's $6.99 bin! :rolleyes:

GsdDiamond
August 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Ok...I just found out, yesterday, that the movie The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher, has 2 endings! I watched the Director's version, and a friend of ours watched the Theatrical version (both on same CD) and there are some scenes that don't match up...and the endings are different!!!!

Now I have to rent it again!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

chico2
August 26th, 2004, 03:20 PM
W4F.....I LOVE ABBA(tells my age eh!!)and they are not Aussies they are Swedish,if that's what you meant :D

SSAC
August 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Heidi..............
Can't wait for "house of 1000 corpses" part 2 - I love Rob Zombie -yum :D

melanie
August 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
no chico darling, you would have to be from tasmaina to not know abba is swedish :D :p no the movie muriels wedding is about a young woman (muriel) who loves abba, so abba is a big part of the movie and story line really.
strictly ballroom is good yes, but you have to see 'PRICILLAqueen of the desert' 'crackers' or 'nugget' or 'takeaway' just to name a few more recent aussie gems. oh you should actually be able to find a movie called 'the castle' it is brilliant and pretty popular so it may around. it truly is one of the funniest movies ever and soooo australian. the australian movie industry has realyl taken of in the past 10yrs so alot of really funny stuff has come out. and aussies are turning to homegrown movies rather than hollywood which is very interesting also.
writing4un, you could probably get it really cheap online from an aussie dealer, it is pretty old now so retails for around $10 so i could imagine it would be similar online. oh such a good movie.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Did you know that blonDE in that movie is Robs WIFE?? HATE HER........

Cactus Flower
August 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
but you have to see 'PRICILLAqueen of the desert'

LOVED that movie!

Hey Mel are you a Nick Cave fan? I've been his biggest for 23 years now.....

Did anyone see "Vampires Kiss", an old Nicholas Cage film from before he was popular? That's also one of my favorites.

Or "Dead Men"? (Johnny Depp). Wonderful.

Shelby
August 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Can I just say that not all Austalian's are like the ones portrayed in the Australian movies... But yes, if you do visit a country town, you are likely to run into MANY families like the one on "The Castle". :)
Please don't think that I am Muriel Heslop!! :eek:

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Seriously?! You didn't find them funny? I'm the type who'll have nightmares for months after watching a scary movie (Freddie still haunts me at times, and I only ever saw the original!!). But I can watch the Mummy movies no prob! They're great! More like Indiana Jones than anything. :)

Oh...now Mr. Jones is a different story....yum yum yum....I own the collection on VHS and DVD....mmmmm INDY!!! {they don't have a face for swooning on here}
I love Harrison Ford! I mean he played the best rough and tumbly heros....
Han Solo AND Indiana Jones....talk about a memorable career! I own many of his other movies too. :D

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Ok...I just found out, yesterday, that the movie The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher, has 2 endings! I watched the Director's version, and a friend of ours watched the Theatrical version (both on same CD) and there are some scenes that don't match up...and the endings are different!!!!

Now I have to rent it again!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Trust me the theatre version is much more "uplifting". We watched the director's cut first and I was so upset at the end. :(

melanie
August 27th, 2004, 06:12 PM
oh cactus, nick cave and the badseeds, uh yum. in australia we have an annual music festival called the 'big day out' (brilliant festival havent been since early 90's but told still good). at the 1995 big day out i saw nick and the bad seeds, bloody brilliant.
shelby , i am no heslop either i dont know what you thought i was saying, although i do believe we all have a little kath and kim day night in us all :D :D "its noice, its unushual" :D :D
australian movies often reflect our sense of humor which is often said to be quite specific, thus the movies help to portray a certain stereotype australia has of some australians, their lifestyles and themselves, as you know there are many muriels, kath and kims and sophie lees around here, but there also is the flip side of that coin. i love australian humor and am very proud of it. nugget was a top movie, there is a new one coming out called crop, about a publican that decides growing dope is more profatable, supposed to be really funny. cant wait to see it :D
now who is that lovely looking bloke above, the one with no shirt?? hhmmm :D

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 04:11 AM
I knew it! I knew it! I luv ya even more now, Mel!

Say "Nick Cave" here in the states, and you'll be met with a blank stare. "Who?"

Yeah, I've followed him since he lead The Birthday Party. I'm 36 now, but at the time (age 13) I'd hear my Mom making hopeful comments about me "growing out of " my musical tastes. I think she's given up on that idea now ;) My tastes haven't changed. They've just broadened. I still listen to everything I did when I was a teenager, but I've added more musical genres to the mix. Back then, if it wasn't angst-ridden and/or scandalous, I wasn't interested. If you would have told me back then that I'd have old western cowpoke songs in my collection as an adult, I'd likely have laughed my head off. Or punched you.

LOL

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Another confession in reference to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert:

I absoluely love drag queen movies!

I keep trying to remember the name of one I saw.....so funny....In Search of Wong fu something.....ack, I can't recall. I wanted to remember it before I posted, but it's been a few days and it's still not coming to me.

Anyone see The Birdcage? Oh what a terrific movie!!!!! I want a houseboy just like Agadour.

Writing4Fun
August 28th, 2004, 08:06 AM
The Birdcage! How could we forget that one?! Hank Azaria was brilliant!

CF, I believe what you're looking for is "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar". Patrick Swayze in drag - who'd a thunk it?! :eek: I've never seen that one myself. Is it any good?

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 12:51 PM
THANK YOU, Writing4Fun!!!! That's exactly the movie I was talking about!
It is terrific! I expected it to be just plain silly (the Patrick-in-drag thing), but actually it's not terribly campy. Funny, YES, but not ridiculous. He earned my respect in that movie, didn't think he could pull it off.

melanie
August 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM
too wong foo, the bird cage, pricilla, oh yes i too love drag queen movies, and love drag queens in general (aussie courtney act of australian idol, what a brilliant person and a good singer to boot). but bird cage is a brilliant one i love robin williams such a flexible actor.
there is a new one out with nia vandalou (my big fat greek weding) and our own former muriel (toni collette) who play two male drag queens in the movie, looks good and i love toni colette. :D

Delirium
August 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Clueless, hands down.

Dee

Writing4Fun
August 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM
there is a new one out with nia vandalou (my big fat greek weding) and our own former muriel (toni collette) who play two male drag queens in the movie, looks good and i love toni colette. :D
Yeah, Connie & Carla - or something like that. I heard it wasn't that great though...

SSAC
August 31st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Can't believe I forgot this one............Sling Blade, it was on city Tv last night
mmmmmhhhhhh

sammiec
August 31st, 2004, 12:08 PM
This is really fun!! I'd have to say that i LOVE Molly Ringwald movies - not her, just the movies!! Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles... LOL and also Dazed and Confused and Liar Liar - I could resite both those movies for you!!! LOL! :p

moontamara
August 31st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Aussie movies (that I've seen) have been spectacular, including Muriel's Wedding, and also the one that Too Wong Fu seemed to be based on -- did anyone already mention it? I can't remember the title...

My two FAVOURITE movies, however, are Magnolia (when times are tough) and A Room with a View (when times are decidedly NOT tough and I'm in the mood to swoon with romance!)

moontamara
August 31st, 2004, 08:42 PM
Priscilla Queen of the Desert! Right, that's the one!!!