Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Helping the kid deal with Lindy

Freyja
August 23rd, 2004, 11:13 PM
Any suggestions on helping the 9 yo boychild deal with the dog? He is very loud and playful and Lindy always wants to play with him but she is being very rough. It is like she is treating the kid like a member of the pack. She trys to play with him like he was a dog, jumping, nipping, biting at his clothes. I am much more firm with her and I have tried to teach him but he just gets frustrated/scared. Also he is a lot smaller than me. Amazingly enough my more timid daughter (11yo) is better with her at the moment.

Luba
August 23rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Remember what I said before turn away and avoid the behaviour when it gets out of hand.

Have him start to teach her some respect for him. He can get her to sit and give her a treat, lay down and give her a treat.
When they play and she is behaving she is rewarded. When it gets out of hand he simply leaves her, never looking her in the eye

Shouting or being stern with her won't work, she'll think you're all a bunch of stubborn sheep, this will make her more aggitated and try to really herd you (trust been through it with 2 dif collies now)

It's not the same as with non herding dogs, herding breeds are very specific in what they are trying to do...control where u are going and what you're doing esp outdoors, thats their fav spot.

Get a BUNCH of balls that she's not gonna get hurt on by chewing apart...I dont know if she rips them apart but street hockey balls are great and so are tennis but supervise their use so she doesn't rip off a hunk and swallow it.

Keep HER busy outside running after the balls in different directions (he should be doing this, your son) that way 'he' has control of the situation.

She'll come to know that when shes well behaved she gets attention when not, she's ignored.

Sadie still does this to me from time to time when very excited and running her herding circles in the yard.

Above all NO chase games with this dog DO NOT run after her or let the kids run after her or her after them!!! NEVER! You'll confuse her completely.

Freyja
August 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks Luba, we will work on it!!
ps, yes she can destroy a tennis ball in aprox 3.5 seconds!!
The boy plays Lord of the Rings with sticks as swords. Then he gets mad if Lindy goes for the "sword", I keep telling him that she doesn't know the difference b/w her sticks and his "swords". The other game he plays is "Daniel in the Dogs den" (his name for it!). He puts on his play armour and then does battle with Lindy playing with a stick and the rope toy, really quite funny but it does get out of hand.

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Ya thats the kind of game that would get her going

If you can set up some things for her to jump and climb over and he can guide her but NOT let her chase him that would be better...just some logs or tires or something.

She doesn't mean any harm at all its just her instincts coming out.

Try soccer and basketballs as well as hard road hockey balls and kongs :D

Freyja
August 24th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks!
I was helping them this morning and the boy says "Hey, mum! I can make Lindy sit with just hand commands no voice!!" I'm like, Kid you want Lindy to obey your voice commands BEFORE you move to hand commands, take it one step at a time!" What a kid!!

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Thats GREAT though it shows she is listening to him GREAT STUFF :D

Good kid good