Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who's to Blame?

Luvmypitgirls
November 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
A friend of mine hired a dog walker to walk his pitgirl for him during the day while he is at work.
This dog is fantastic, a little hyper but not in a mean way. She gets along great with other dogs.
This friend, got his dog off of Kijiji, her previous owners were moving to Ontario and because of the ban couldn't take her with them.
She's a big snuggle bug, thinks she's a lap dog and absolutely loves loves loves kids.
Ok so, the other day, the dog walker takes the "pack" to an off leash park. She brings with her one ball.
There is a border collie healer cross, that since day one of this girl walking my friends dog, has nipped and tried to dominate my friends dog.
For two weeks or so, my friends dog did not retaliate in any way whatsoever.
Then the other day, while the walker was playing ball with the dogs, the border collie x, took a bite on my friends dog trying to get the ball. Well my friends dog finally retaliated and the dog walker had a struggle getting them apart. The border collie x got the worst of it, a nasty bite on the neck.
There was a a hefty vet bill.
The dog walker told my friend after the incident that this border collie cross had been nippy with his dog since day one.
Well fastforward to last night, the dogwalker explains to my friend that she is taking no responsibility for the incident, and isn't comfortable walking his dog anymore. The owner of the other dog calls my friend and says she is calling the city to apprehend his dog and have it labelled a vicious dog, she wants her put down and is planning on suing for the vet bill.
My friend is so upset with the whole ordeal, he doesn't feel he should be held responsible, he believes the dogwalker is responsible because she didn't inform him that there was an issue with another dog in the pack that kept trying to get into it with his dog.
Just wondering who is really to blame here? I told my friend that off leash parks/dog parks in general aren't the best place to take Pits, because although they rarely start an altercation, they will finish one, and regardless of who started it, the Pit will always be blamed.
I don't know the exact number of dogs this dogwalker had at the time, but my friends dog has never tried to hurt any of them, but apparently the border collie x is very nippy with other dogs in general.
I would hate to see my friends dog destroyed because someone failed to react to the indicators that a serious issue could arise.
Who is responsible, the dogwalker or my friend?

bendyfoot
November 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I think the person with the nippy BC is partially responsible for allowing her dog to be a jerk. If her dog really did bite first then, well...:shrug: I wouldn't feel too bad if my dog bit back, frankly. Did the BC owner help break up the fight? I think the walker is partially responsible for taking the dog to a park where it was known that an instigator was there and there was the possibility of a fight happening. Also, if the walker could not physically manage a fight break-up, perhaps the pit is too much dog to handle. I think mistakes were made all-round, but mainly I think the BC owner is being unfair.

This is why I generally think dog parks are not a good idea. Play dates with dogs you know, sure, but not random dogs.

ancientgirl
November 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think it's totally the dog walkers fault. I think 1. She should have told the nippy dogs owner it was being nippy and dominate towards another dog. 2. She should have informed your friend about the nippy dog. and 3, knowing she had a nippy dog and another dog who would at one point retaliate, she should never have taken them to an off leash part especially with only one ball!

This is what I hate about what the media has done to pit bulls. The instigator was the border collie x. Everything was fine and dandy when it was that dog doing the nipping. But the second your friends dog tries to defend herself she's suddenly labeled as a vicious dog.

And the dog walker needs a strong talking to. Is she going to remain silent and just allow an innocent dog to be put down if it comes to that?

aslan
November 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
not sure about your laws there, but here,, if you are walking dogs as a business and are receiving pay for it, then you are 100% responsible for the animal. Quite similar to a daycare. This walker i will guarantee doesn't have liability insurance and that's why she's tucking tail and running.. I would call the police myself if i were your friend.

rainbow
November 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I agree that it is the dogwalker and BC/heeler owner that are to blame. Was there any other witnesses at the park at the time?

Hopefully, AB has the same law that aslan is talking about. :fingerscr

Dog Dancer
November 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
How very sad this is. I agree the dog walker is totally at fault. That any fool can call herself/himself a dog walker and take a pack of unrelated dogs out to a park is totally wrong. Clearly this person did not understand the dynamics of what they were dealing with! The nippy dog should not have been allowed to partake in the activities, and the walker was irresponsible for not anticipating aggressive behavior over one toy with a pack of dogs. DUH.
I truly hope your friend doesn't have a problem over this, and I would report the walker to the police as well and see if they can help. It's totally wrong. But it should serve as a word of warning to any people who choose to hire a dog walker. Myself - nobody walks my dogs but me, but I realize that's not always an option.

Melinda
November 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
to begin with, you are asked and it is HIGHLY suggested you not take a toy to an off leash dog park, no matter how well trained your dog is another will try to grab the toy and a fight is usually the end result. That said, when I was looking into dog walking as a business, I did research and found out IF the owner(s) dog had problems and they hid it from you (aggression, barking, no recall) and something happened, I as the dog walker had to get proof that it had happened before while the owner was in control of the dog, speaking to vet, neighbours etc. To me in this instance the dog walker is at fault for not trying to work out the behavior from the collie in the first plae, knowing how it was she/he should not have been walking those particular two dogs together.

Luvmypitgirls
November 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I think it's totally the dog walkers fault. I think 1. She should have told the nippy dogs owner it was being nippy and dominate towards another dog. 2. She should have informed your friend about the nippy dog. and 3, knowing she had a nippy dog and another dog who would at one point retaliate, she should never have taken them to an off leash part especially with only one ball!

This is what I hate about what the media has done to pit bulls. The instigator was the border collie x. Everything was fine and dandy when it was that dog doing the nipping. But the second your friends dog tries to defend herself she's suddenly labeled as a vicious dog.

And the dog walker needs a strong talking to. Is she going to remain silent and just allow an innocent dog to be put down if it comes to that?

Yes I do think she is going to remain silent, my first indicator is the fact that she told my friend she takes no resposibility for what took place. She felt that my friends dog was being toy possessive/aggressive. She was playing with it, the other dog became aggressive first. And the fact that my friends dog has been nipped at repeatedly by this dog, as stated by the walker herself, leaves me to believe that this girl was way in over her head not to recognize the indicators that perhaps walking these two dogs at the same time wasn't an option.

not sure about your laws there, but here,, if you are walking dogs as a business and are receiving pay for it, then you are 100% responsible for the animal. Quite similar to a daycare. This walker i will guarantee doesn't have liability insurance and that's why she's tucking tail and running.. I would call the police myself if i were your friend.

Aslan, I told my friend the same thing, call the cops and call Bylaw, tell them what happened, what was relayed to him by the dogwalker, and allow them to come meet his dog. However, if they try to apprehend the dog, then lay a counter complaint against the BC's owner too. I agree I doubt this dogwalker has liability insurance, but I totally think she should be responsible for the vet bill.If she really knew what she was doing, she would've had a break stick with her, in the anticipation that you never know what might happen, it's just common sense. She bares no responsibility, now my friends dog may pay the price:sad:
I agree that it is the dogwalker and BC/heeler owner that are to blame. Was there any other witnesses at the park at the time?

Hopefully, AB has the same law that aslan is talking about. :fingerscr
I don't know if there were witnesses. But the BC's owner even admitted to my friend that her dog is nippy, during their first exchange over the incident. However, I doubt he taped the conversation, and really he can't prove she said it, and I'm pretty sure she'll deny ever saying it.:frustrated:

How very sad this is. I agree the dog walker is totally at fault. That any fool can call herself/himself a dog walker and take a pack of unrelated dogs out to a park is totally wrong. Clearly this person did not understand the dynamics of what they were dealing with! The nippy dog should not have been allowed to partake in the activities, and the walker was irresponsible for not anticipating aggressive behavior over one toy with a pack of dogs. DUH.
I truly hope your friend doesn't have a problem over this, and I would report the walker to the police as well and see if they can help. It's totally wrong. But it should serve as a word of warning to any people who choose to hire a dog walker. Myself - nobody walks my dogs but me, but I realize that's not always an option.

I think the dogwalker is mostly to blame here. However, I do think my friend should have asked for references and inquired whether or not she was insured.

My friend is now considering rehoming her :sad: I have asked that he doesn't place her back on kijiji, that he relinquishes her to us and we will find her a new home.
So I hafta say I'm kinda pissed, cuz either way this poor lil girl is being punished for something that wasn't her fault.:sad:

I'll risk getting a fine to rehome her, because I want to make sure she doesn't end up in the wrong hands. I even offered to drive the 20 minutes each way to go take her out for 45 mins to an hour every day, all I asked for was the same money he paid the "dogwalker" to cover my gas expenses. He hummed and hawed, thanked me for the offer, said he'd get back to me. It was quite obvious that he's seriously thinking of getting rid of her. At least hubby got him to agree that if that's his final decision, he'll let us rehome her.

Luvmypitgirls
November 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
to begin with, you are asked and it is HIGHLY suggested you not take a toy to an off leash dog park, no matter how well trained your dog is another will try to grab the toy and a fight is usually the end result. That said, when I was looking into dog walking as a business, I did research and found out IF the owner(s) dog had problems and they hid it from you (aggression, barking, no recall) and something happened, I as the dog walker had to get proof that it had happened before while the owner was in control of the dog, speaking to vet, neighbours etc. To me in this instance the dog walker is at fault for not trying to work out the behavior from the collie in the first plae, knowing how it was she/he should not have been walking those particular two dogs together.

I agree 100%

rainbow
November 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Is there any way a temp home for her can be found until all this is sorted out? Your friend and his dog must have a bond between them and it's a shame that he would have to give her up if he doesn't have to.

Melinda
November 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Luvmypitgirls, there is no insurance a dog walker can get, at least not where I live, I called my insurance company to find out what would happen if a dog bit a child, bit me or attacked another dog, my insurance company (state farm) told me there is no such insurance and it would be the dog owners home insurance that would cover it all. Now it could differ from place to place.

Choochi
November 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
This is very frustrating and sad. I've been in the pet care business for over 10 years and can tell you 1000% the dog walker is at fault here.

From a legal stand point she is in care and custody of the dogs while she is walking them and is 100% responsible for their actions from the second she picks them up from their home until she drops them off. If the dogs fight together, if one of them attacks another dog, if one of her dogs scare another dog that runs and ends up being hit by a car,if one of them attacks another person, if one of them as much as trips another person, she is 100% legally liable for all monetary compensation.

If the owner of the injured dog wants compensation for the vet bills, again she is 100% liable for those. If she has liability insurance, this is exactly what it is for. From experience when dealing with such situation some times the other dog owner will feel guilty that their dog has caused damage and will volunteer to pay the vet bills, but it is still foremost the dog walker's responsibility. If the dog was injured on her watch and the injured dog's owner wants compensation, it should be coming out of the dog walker's pocket.

My advise, first of all get more information about the dog walker and get all your paper work in order. If there was any communication done through emails, keep those. Your friend is being bullied by her and the BC's owner, which just infuriates me. Is the dog walker a member of any organization like the ACPSN, if she is report the incident and how unprofessional she is being. Find out if she has liability insurance. Depending on how high the vet bills are her deductible may be more so that may not necessarily be a factor. Did your friend sign any contracts with the dog walker (hopefully)?

Are there any local bylaws regarding commercial dog walkers in your area? Essentially report her to anything she is a member of, even file with the better business beuro.

Is the BC's owner fully aware of the situation? Is it possible that the dog owner simply told her that her dog was just playing and was suddenly attacked by the evil pit? Make sure the story is the same. I find it a little hard to believe that this woman would have the nerve to ask your friend for money to pay the vet bill after her dog attacked his. If any dog should be reported to the city it's her BC, although honestly I don't think that's necessary as this was obviously a case of the dog walker being completely not in control of a dog with known aggression issues, not to mention not doing any thing about previous aggression episodes, and of all things to do letting this dog play off leash... my head is just spinning about how irresponsible this woman is.

** I forgot to add, I find it strange that the BC owner is threatening to sue your friend. She is obviously misinformed and for what ever reason is not threatening the dog walker. It's possible she feels the dog walker is not to blame or simply is biased because she hates pits. If she calls again she should at least be made aware that the dog walker is liable here and that's where any legal action should be directed.

Choochi
November 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Luvmypitgirls, there is no insurance a dog walker can get, at least not where I live, I called my insurance company to find out what would happen if a dog bit a child, bit me or attacked another dog, my insurance company (state farm) told me there is no such insurance and it would be the dog owners home insurance that would cover it all. Now it could differ from place to place.

Melinda, it's a business liability insurance and some cities require this from commercial dog walkers in order to issue business permits. There are currently 2 companies who offer it in Canada. In a normal case you're right, your home owners insurance would cover you if your dog were to injure some one. It's a totally different story however when it comes to operating a business. If you started a dog walking business and something went wrong, your home insurance would not cover that and could in fact void your coverage. It is in fact a specialized policy catered to businesses that provide care to dogs, not just any business liability insurance will offer you that coverage. I'm not surprised your agent didn't know about as Statefarm does not offer such a product.

Melinda
November 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM
thank you for clearing that up for me Choochi

Golden Girls
November 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
The dog walker had a responsibility to register as a dog walker and having
insurance to cover such accidents.

Neither owner asked for her credentials prior to hiring her?

When the dog walker seen the BC X nicked & tried dominating the pitbull from the start why didn't she take them out separately having no contact with each other? Not too swift either taking the "pack" to an offleash park with a ball :frustrated:

All three should share the vet bill equally. If I were the owner of the pitbull I wouldn't be sitting around waiting for the police to come seize my dog either. As Rainbow said I'd ask a responsible friend or family member to doggie sit stat until something can be worked out amonst everyone involved. But I'd definately be hiding my dog as in yesterday :shrug:

Very sad nevertheless

chico2
November 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
No doubt it was the dog-walkers responsibility to see that all the dogs in her care are safe,whether it's a pit-bull or a chi..
I am not found of dog-parks period,would never take Bailey to one.
I guess I am in a way a dog-walker,although I don't get paid,I get paid seeing little Bailey wagging her little stump:laughing:

But of course in this case the pit-bull will be at fault:evil:no matter what a wonderful dog she is,it just stinks IMO.

LMPG,If this owner does not care enough to fight for his dog,maybe the dog will be better off in a new home:pawprint:

Luvmypitgirls
November 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Choochi, I don't think my friend signed a contract, but I will ask him if he calls me tonight. I think he's annoyed with me, because I told him he should've done his homework before hiring this lady.

Chico2, I am begining to think this dog would most definately be better off in a new home. If he really wanted to keep her, he would find away. The excuse of she's alone all day doesn't wash with me, considering I have offered my services. You would think having someone with "bully" experience offering to make the daily trek into the city to spend an hour with your dog, would take no hesitation to accept. Which is why I feel he will use this entire incident as justification to not keep her.
He said he would trust us to find her a new home if that becomes his decision, but I'm begining to question his sincerity (sp?...geesh brain farts by the dozen here today), regarding that too.

I would be breaking the law taking her in for the time it takes to find her a good home, but I'm already breaking that law having my son's dog here too, 3 dog limit.But I'm ready and willing, but I can't force him...so I wait.:frustrated:

TacoGrl
November 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Funny thing, I was talking to an officer with Calgary Animal Services about a similar situation recently...she said whomever is in control of the dog/s is responsible for the dog/s at the time of any mishappenings under Calgary by-laws...Airdrie might have different municipal by-laws though...I have seen the Calgary dog catcher trucks up there though... :shrug:

One thing you might want to do is contact Animal Services (Airdrie and Calgary) and see if they have a history with said dog in case something legal comes of it, then you have proof it is nippy...the officer I talked with said not every case is bite and put down...apparently they do listen and do take self defence into consideration...with everyone having a hate on for pits though...

rainbow
November 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM
LMPG, you know your friend the best, and if in your heart you think that his dog would be better off elsewhere, then I know you will do everything in your power to rehome her. :angel: :grouphug:

I really hope this all has a happy outcome for her. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
November 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ok got an update, my friend called bylaw and spoke to them in regards to the incident, welcomed them to come meet his dog, explained the situation as relayed to him by the so called dogwalker.
He has a signed contract with the dogwalker, which works totally in his favor.
The dog walker is totally responsible for this incident. The border x owner, has no legal right to go after our friend or his dog, because of several reasons.
According to dogwalker laws here, her first mistake was disregarding the indication that the one dog was showing aggression towards another, and made no attempt to speak to either owner until after an incident occured. Second mistake, taking a pack of 5 dogs to offleash park, when she was having difficulty controlling the situation on leash. Third mistake, taking one ball for a pack of 5 dogs knowing the Border x has toy possession issues. Thirdly, making no attempt to walk the two dogs in question seperately.
Bylaw told my friend they are in his corner, so to speak, and he really has nothing to be concerned about in regards to having his dog taken and destroyed. Of course if his dog made a random attack on another dog then it would be different, as with any dog that randomly attacks.
He has pictures of his dog playing with other dogs, pictures of his dog in a "pack" of children having the time of her life, pictures of his dog sleeping at the foot of his son's bed. He has also collected statements from the obiedience trainer and behavorist he took her to when he first got her to make sure she was stable and had no under lying issues.
He has decided to keep her, and wants to speak to me this evening so he's coming over. So maybe he's decided to take me up on my offer of coming to take her out and spend time with her. Of course there are going to be days that I can't so I am going to insist he does crate training with her.
So we'll see how it goes.
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm so glad my friends dog isn't going to be unjustly punished.
I have also told him that he should tell the owner of the border x, that if she calls him again he will sue her for harrassment, and to clarify with her that bylaw even says the dog walker in question is completely and legally responsible...so go harrass her!

Luvmypitgirls
November 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Funny thing, I was talking to an officer with Calgary Animal Services about a similar situation recently...she said whomever is in control of the dog/s is responsible for the dog/s at the time of any mishappenings under Calgary by-laws...Airdrie might have different municipal by-laws though...I have seen the Calgary dog catcher trucks up there though... :shrug:

One thing you might want to do is contact Animal Services (Airdrie and Calgary) and see if they have a history with said dog in case something legal comes of it, then you have proof it is nippy...the officer I talked with said not every case is bite and put down...apparently they do listen and do take self defence into consideration...with everyone having a hate on for pits though...

Hiya TacoGrl, the incident took place in Calgary, deep South. I think he's got it all under control now.
Btw, I moved recently to High River!:D

ancientgirl
November 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
That's great. I'm so glad that at least in this case, the law is going to be on your friends side. :thumbs up

Bailey_
November 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yeesh, LMPG, just seeing this now. Sorry to hear about it - stuff like this always gets my goat. :wall:

Do you know if the dogwalker was insured? What a mess!

chico2
November 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM
LMPG,glad nothing is going to happen to the Pittie-girl:thumbs up

budgrrl
November 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
in a dog lover's perspective, it is the BC's fault...even the nicest of dogs can only taken being harassed for so long before they react...and the fault of the BC's owner - they ought to know how their dog is with other dogs and if they are snarky, have no business being at an off-leash dog park.

that being said, in a legal perspective, if the dog walker is a professional dog-walker and being paid for their services, the onus would lay with them - they were being paid to care and control the dogs that they were walking.

however, if it is just some teenager walking someones dog, then sadly, the onus is on the dogs owner.

but...whether people like it or not, bill 132 is in effect in ontario - thereby making pits follow very strict guidelines. that being said, the pit ought to have not been off leash, and ought to have been muzzled, according to ontario law.
therefore, in a court proceeding, it is most probable the BC's owner would win...and it is the owner's liability to ensure that their pit is abiding by such guidelines.

sorry to be the voice of (un)reason :(

mastifflover
November 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Luckily she is not in Ontario. I am glad this dog is not going to be unjustly punished.

budgrrl
November 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
yes, lucky indeed!! :)
and i have to admit, i totally misread that part of the inital post - i thought the new owners lived in ontario! oops!!! but i am glad i was wrong!!! :D

TacoGrl
November 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hiya TacoGrl, the incident took place in Calgary, deep South. I think he's got it all under control now.
Btw, I moved recently to High River!:D

High River, eh? Isn't it NICE down there? I go for a drive there once in a while and then pop over to Indian Graves or take the Cowboy Trail back to Calgary sometimes...I would love to buy some land down there...for me, that will be a gift from the 649 though LoL! :rolleyes:

I am happy everything worked out doggie-wise...sometimes Animal Control/By-law is very helpful if things are approached in the right way. :thumbs up

meow
November 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Did your feiend's dog require vet service after this?

It is the dog walker fault for taking the dog off the leash. I would NEVER take another person's dog off a leash!!!

BUT if the collie's owner tries to have th epit put down, the pit owner should try and have the collie put down. the pit owner should show their vet bill and say the collie bit the pit first. I would NOT allow them to take my pit...period!

Bailey_
November 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I would NEVER take another person's dog off a leash!!!

I COMPLETLEY 100% agree with you Meow. In fact, I always get very wary when I see any dog walker, regardless of how long they've been in the business or how well they know the particular dogs, taking a pack to the park.
I've seen too many incidents where dog walkers have trouble at DPs - either with the dogs in their own group, or their dogs meeting other owners animals.

Just a bad scenario waiting to happen.

TeriM
November 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Yep, I agree that dog walkers should not be going to dog walkers. It is hard enough to keep track of one or two dogs in that situation let alone five.

I am actually looking at having a dog walker for Riley for when we go away and my mom looks after the dogs. It is very important to me that the dog walker I use actually takes the dogs out for a good hike. Moving dogs generally get into way less trouble then when they are standing around bored :thumbs up.

Luvmypitgirls
November 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Did your feiend's dog require vet service after this?

It is the dog walker fault for taking the dog off the leash. I would NEVER take another person's dog off a leash!!!

BUT if the collie's owner tries to have th epit put down, the pit owner should try and have the collie put down. the pit owner should show their vet bill and say the collie bit the pit first. I would NOT allow them to take my pit...period!
The Pit did not sustain injury, but the BC got a nasty puncture on the neck.
The dogwalker in question, has been unobtainable the last few days...go figure.:frustrated:

High River, eh? Isn't it NICE down there? I go for a drive there once in a while and then pop over to Indian Graves or take the Cowboy Trail back to Calgary sometimes...I would love to buy some land down there...for me, that will be a gift from the 649 though LoL! :rolleyes:

I am happy everything worked out doggie-wise...sometimes Animal Control/By-law is very helpful if things are approached in the right way. :thumbs up

TacoGrl, yes it's very nice down here, much nicer than Airdrie. My backyard faces Longview Trail, and farmers fields, and I have an incredible view of the mountains! Let me know when you are coming down this way, maybe we could hook up for a coffee!:D
I COMPLETLEY 100% agree with you Meow. In fact, I always get very wary when I see any dog walker, regardless of how long they've been in the business or how well they know the particular dogs, taking a pack to the park.
I've seen too many incidents where dog walkers have trouble at DPs - either with the dogs in their own group, or their dogs meeting other owners animals.

Just a bad scenario waiting to happen.

I agree 100%. I do not take my dogs to dog parks, onleash or offleash and I certainly wouldn't take a pack of dogs to an offleash park, it's hard enough for some owners to control one dog, let alone an entire pack. I've come to learn that she walks two different packs a day, I wonder why she didn't move the BC or my friends dog to the other pack to see if that would've been more suitable. Personally I think she was careless and reckless.

Bailey_
November 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I agree 100%. I do not take my dogs to dog parks, onleash or offleash and I certainly wouldn't take a pack of dogs to an offleash park, it's hard enough for some owners to control one dog, let alone an entire pack. I've come to learn that she walks two different packs a day, I wonder why she didn't move the BC or my friends dog to the other pack to see if that would've been more suitable. Personally I think she was careless and reckless.

UGH, I'm actually ashamed that this crazy woman has come from our city. :rolleyes::loser:

Choochi
November 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yep, I agree that dog walkers should not be going to dog walkers. It is hard enough to keep track of one or two dogs in that situation let alone five.

You know, when ever I hear that line of reasoning my reply is...
I am incapable of doing brain surgery, it's so hard and complicated and I can't do it, therefore I don't see how any one else can do it, and because of that I feel no one else should do it...

Yes there are plenty of dog walkers out there who have no business being dog walkers, just as there are even more dog owners who have no business being dog owners. I see dog walkers who have better control of their 6 dogs off leash then some people have of their one dog on leash. If you have a particular person in mind that is incompetent and handling dogs, that's fine, but don't go lumping and stereotyping that it is some how impossible for one person to control 5 dogs, it's not. It's just hard for those not used to it to imagine it and takes time and experience to learn.

Also keep in mind in most cases the dog walkers get to know their dogs over a long time. It's not like some one just handed them 5 random strange dogs that morning and said, here walk these. Same as with you and your dog, bonds are made, pack order is established, and with a competent dog walker at helm the dogs know well who's in charge. If you truly are a dog person, dealing with multiples just becomes second nature after a while.

And I'm glad to hear this whole story came to a happy ending. :)