Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugh, computer guy made things worse!

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
About 3 weeks ago our computer guy came and installed some new antivirus stuff on my and my bosses computer. Since that day, I've been having problems scanning on our color scanner, which is the scanner that takes multiple pages. Well, after 3 weeks of one day working and the next day not, I called the computer guy and he sent me a link for an update of the software and a network patch. I installed everything Friday and the scanner was working with no problems. I was also able to print.

Monday, the scanner went all wonky again! So today this guy finally comes to look into the issue. He was here from 9:30 to 3:00 and not only can I not scan from the printer, but the small scanner/color printer I had in my office isn't even connecting to my computer! I can't scan from either!

My boss is going to have an embolism when he sees this guys bill! Especially when he didn't even fix the problem. So instead of just being down one scanner like I was before. I'm down 2 scanners and a printer!

The solution? Computer guy says I have to reinstall all of my software! It took him nearly 5 hours to come up with that.

mastifflover
November 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
First uninstall your scanner shut down and restart and reinstall your scanner then restart again. If you have the time uninstall the scanner and run disk defragmenter then reinstall this may help to fix any problems. No guarantees but I will not be sending you a bill

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks, but we did that, several times. We uninstalled every printer I had and reinstalled. Nothing. One wouldn't reinstall, and the other finally after 3 hours was at least allowing me to print, but not scan. It was just a totally wasted and frustrating day, and I still can't scan.

Jim Hall
November 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
i am betting you have a bad hard drive back up everything on a cd or zip
how old is the cpu?

TacoGrl
November 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Check on the anti-virus site and/or scanner site for a patch or upgraded driver...you would be surprised what you find in the FAQs sometimes...helpful things (not like on the MicroSoft site :rolleyes: ) I know McAfee will hook up to your computer over the phone to see what isn't compatible for just the cost of the call if you have a subscription...not sure about the other anit-virus'... :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
My computer is probably about 6 or 7 years old. It's probably time for a new one, but we can't afford one right now. We lost another client last week and my boss doesn't want to spend any money.

aslan
November 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Ag did you guys do a system restore, it literally is sending your comp memory back in time.

you click start, then accessories, then system tools, go down and click on " system restore"..pick a highlighted date Pre-computer guy and restore it to there.

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Aslan,:lightbulb: that's the one thing he didn't do. I'll do it tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll do for a couple of weeks back, to right before it began giving me problems.

I hope that works! Thanks.

aslan
November 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
hope it helps hon..i've had to do it before when someone has done stuff they shouldn't..good luck.

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
:fingerscrI hope so too! I really need my scanner. I'll post the outcome tomorrow.

edwina
November 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Make sure you back up anything that you want to save that you may have put on in those few weeks, because once you hit system restore, it will erase anything after that date you pick. :)

rainbow
November 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The computer dummy feels your pain :o and just wanted to send you lots of :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Well that didn't work. System restore would only allow me to go back one day, which was not helpful.

At this point all I can do is start saving everything on CD's and try to convince my boss to get me a new computer.

edwina
November 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Well that didn't work. System restore would only allow me to go back one day, which was not helpful.

At this point all I can do is start saving everything on CD's and try to convince my boss to get me a new computer.

Do you have the system restore on max ? If you do it should go back further than that. :confused:

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I tried everything. It would not allow me to go back further than a day. I've never had that happen. I've always been able to go back at least a couple of weeks.