Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling with pets

Beautygirl
August 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
We tend to be on the go an average amount. We like to take drives to other towns and go on nature trails, etc. My dh is a truck driver and we sometimes go with him. The problem is that Beauty doesn't like to go in the van (car, whatever). She will climb under a seat and shiver the whole way. You have to catch her and lift her in the van. We're planning a trip to my brother's next weekend, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive. Any ideas why she might be so afraid and what we can do for her. We take her blanket and some toys, in hopes that it'll make her feel more at home. She won't even sit up with one of us. Could it be that she's afraid that we're going to bring her back to the SPCA? I know people had taken her home for the weekend, just to get her out. Please help.

Freyja
August 23rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
You may want to start with small trips to the park, sit with her in the truck and give her treats. She needs to associate the car/truck as a place where good things happen. My dog was terrified of the car, to her it meant the vets or a trip to the shelter. She is slowly getting better. I didn't force her but used the treat method: encouraging her into the car with it not running and working up to small trips.

Lady_D
August 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
If he has a crate at home in which he retrieves to when he needs his “own space” then try traveling with a crate … in addition, it’s a lot safer.