Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you believe ...

Luvmypitgirls
November 9th, 2009, 01:11 AM
that the world is going to be wiped out in 2012?
My son has been reading stuff on the net, and is convinced the world and humankind, is going to face destruction in 2012.

(sigh)....almost had him convinced that it's not gonna happen, then we see this clip for a movie 2012 and he's now more convinced than ever that it's going to happen, his theory...."even the ppl in Hollywood know, and are going to cash in before it happens!"

kids!:rolleyes:

Masha
November 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
i remember how everyone thought the same before the year 2000... that was at least a bit more believable because the assumption was that all computerized systems will fail and caos will ensue etc. didnt happen.... sometiems its fun when ur a kid to believe in something like that, gives u soemthing to talk about and stuff :) He is not genuinly terrified, is he? If so, i suggest getting help, sometimes kids can interpret things in ways that can disrupt their life.

BenMax
November 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I do not believe. Anyways - my philosophy in life is to live everyday to the fullest. Even if your day is crap - find one thing that you enjoyed (your coffee, the smell of the air, a song..whatever) and concentrate on that. If you find small pleasures - then you will look at everything very differently. If in fact this is true - then we will not know what hit us...

Luvmypitgirls
November 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
i remember how everyone thought the same before the year 2000... that was at least a bit more believable because the assumption was that all computerized systems will fail and caos will ensue etc. didnt happen.... sometiems its fun when ur a kid to believe in something like that, gives u soemthing to talk about and stuff :) He is not genuinly terrified, is he? If so, i suggest getting help, sometimes kids can interpret things in ways that can disrupt their life.

No he isn't genuinely terrified, but he is genuinely terrifying my other son with this garbage. I've asked him to not discuss these things around his brother, but I know he does when I'm not around :frustrated:

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This is the way I see it.

This is all based on the Mayan calendar, which ends on December 21, 2012.

The way I figure it, they had to have a stopping point. There is no way they could have kept adding dates and adding dates with no end. If not, then Mayans to this day would still be adding dates on their calendar. That's the stopping point. :shrug:

breeze
November 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I look at it this way

if indeed it is true then we will all go at the same time, pets included..
so no one has to be sad and try and live without the other that they care about.
no bills to pay
no morgage,
no worrying
where your next pay check will come from,
if you have enough food
no pain
no sickness
etc
etc
etc
etc

:D:D

Luvmypitgirls
November 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I look at it this way...
The Mayan dude, responsible for doing the calendar either got seriously bored with the job, or died without training an apprentice to take over the duty of calendar making.:)

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I look at it this way...
The Mayan dude, responsible for doing the calendar either got seriously bored with the job, or died without training an apprentice to take over the duty of calendar making.:)
:laughing: Yep, that's my take on it, too... :D It had to stop somewhere...that just happened to be where calandar-making was at when the civilization crashed. :shrug:

On a somewhat related note...that movie looks like a good laugh! I love how they're 'out-driving' the end of the world. Next time I'm out looking for a new car, I want what they're driving! :laughing:

Chris21711
November 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I look at it this way...

That makes perfect sense, who would want such a tedious job :laughing:

14+kitties
November 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
(sigh)....almost had him convinced that it's not gonna happen, then we see this clip for a movie 2012 and he's now more convinced than ever that it's going to happen, his theory...."even the ppl in Hollywood know, and are going to cash in before it happens!"

kids!:rolleyes:

Now that makes no sense. Why would they make a movie about the world ending in two years so they can cash in on it now? What are they going to do with all money they make? Build houses that will be gone in two years? Buy cars that no one will drive? Buy jets to take them where? Unless they are planning on funding a major search for a planet they can live on after the world ends.
Kids tend to think weird things at times. Gotta love it.

Frenchy
November 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't believe it either but ... if this is true , and I would get proof , I'll max out my credit cards in 2011 :D

Dog Dancer
November 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'm with Frenchy.

aslan
November 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
LMPG get your son to read this,,, incase its wrong i'm going shopping with Frenchy and DD..

- Summary
Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbraath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."
Source and further information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/.../...ng_Count_calendar

Bailey_
November 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
On a somewhat related note...that movie looks like a good laugh! I love how they're 'out-driving' the end of the world. Next time I'm out looking for a new car, I want what they're driving!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Ditto!!

On a more serious note, I personally don't know how this world will last much longer. Humankind is DESTROYING this planet and that cannot be ignored (but unfortunatley is more often than not). I don't know about 2012, but in another 30-40 years I don't really know how this planet can continue thriving. :2cents:

Luvmypitgirls
November 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
LMPG get your son to read this,,, incase its wrong i'm going shopping with Frenchy and DD..

- Summary
Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbraath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."
Source and further information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/.../...ng_Count_calendar

Aslan, thank you for that link. I had my son read it, and I think it brought him some relief.
My youngest is very impressionable, easily convinced by his older brother.
Sometimes ppl with Spina Bifida, see things as either "black and white", in other words, some of them have a difficult time differentiating (sp?), the truth from fiction. Unfortunately, my son is one of those ppl.

joeysmama
November 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I just read an article last week but now I can't find it. Basically it quoted experts on Mayan culture as saying that this is not true. It's a misinterpretation of writings.

aslan
November 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
LMPG anytime, i had just been reading up on it and watched a show all about it, so pretty much had the info right there for you..Yeah i know what little guys are like and how they look up to the older brother. Glad to have helped.:thumbs up

krdahmer
November 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Almost all ancient civilizations had theories as to when the world would end....so far quite a few have come and gone...and they were wrong. I'm sure you could google it for your son and then ask him why he thinks the Mayans are gonna all of a sudden be right? :cool: It's just hollywood cashing in on fear....and hey if the Mayan's happen to be the ones that are right....well none of us are gonna be around to care!:laughing:

Frenchy
November 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
oh crap , so no shopping spree in 2011 :yell:

edwina
November 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I don't believe it either but ... if this is true , and I would get proof , I'll max out my credit cards in 2011 :D

My luck i would get proof , go shopping ( new corvette here i come :rolleyes: ) , and then someone would say OOPS!! proof was wrong :frustrated: :laughing:

My motto is >> I dont worry about things i cant control :thumbs up

dollface
November 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Ditto!!

On a more serious note, I personally don't know how this world will last much longer. Humankind is DESTROYING this planet and that cannot be ignored (but unfortunatley is more often than not). I don't know about 2012, but in another 30-40 years I don't really know how this planet can continue thriving. :2cents:

If anyone likes Sylvia Browne, in her book Prophecy she has predicted that she sees nothing after the year 2100. Whether she can't see that far into the future, or no earth at all.

Also, regarding our planet, she has seen domed cities popping up around the 2020's due to acid rain.

It's a good read if you are a fan of her. If you're a skeptic, I can not help you lol

rainbow
November 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Almost all ancient civilizations had theories as to when the world would end....so far quite a few have come and gone...and they were wrong. I'm sure you could google it for your son and then ask him why he thinks the Mayans are gonna all of a sudden be right? :cool: It's just hollywood cashing in on fear....and hey if the Mayan's happen to be the ones that are right....well none of us are gonna be around to care!:laughing:

Exactly :thumbs up

dollface
November 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Nostradamus: 2012 is on the History channel right now, in case anyone wants to watch.