Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Safe journey Sarge

yvonnem
November 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Back in 2004/2005 I was a regular visitor to pets.ca and in January 2005 I rescued Sarge, who was supposed to be a mastiff according to North York Animal Control and turned out to be mostly great dane.

When we visited him at Animal Control he had the worst respiratory infection I had ever seen. Green snot was running from his nose and mouth, every knob on his spine was visible and his hips were in very bad shape. He was being given sulfa drugs and sleeping on a cold concrete floor. I couldn't leave him there, so we put him in the back of the station wagon and took him home. We had to lift him up the 4 stairs to the back door. It took a week to scrub the dried snot off the inside of the wagon.

$422 later he was on penicillan. At less than 100 lbs he was severely underweight. As he recovered, we found that he liked men and boys and disliked women. Disliked them enough that he bit me once and my daughter twice. On the other hand he adored my 12 year old grandson and never left his side. He liked our 3 month old english mastiff and even our grouchy black cat. When trucks came down our street, he cried to get out. He DID get out once when the city workers were changing the streetlights and tried to get into one of the trucks. We never knew his history but we think he must have lived with a man who took him places in his truck as he was always willing to jump in and go to sleep in the back of any vehicle around.

He gradually got better and his attitude improved. He became quite affectionate and would lay down beside us and demand a pillow under his head. He was very smart and had an extensive vocabulary. He assimilated new words quickly and when you spoke to him you could see him trying to figure out what you were saying. He still preferred males but would be friendly to women (especially women with food).

I want to thank everyone on this board who gave me such great information about rescue dogs and behaviour problems -- especially mastifflover. I never would have had the pleasure of Sarge's company for the last 5 years.

On Thursday, he was sitting by the back door around 6pm. As my grandson (now 16) left, he offered Sarge a piece of toast. Sarge refused it. When we got home at 7:30 Sarge was in his bed, with his head on his pillow, dead.

We think he was 9 or 10, a good age for a great dane. And he went peacefully. But we miss him.

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, yvonnem :grouphug: Sounds like Sarge was one lucky boy to have found such an :angel: when he was in need.

:candle: Sarge

Dee-O-Gee
November 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
What a sweet story yvonnem. It sounds like you were truly blessed with Sarge's presence and a wonderful turn around.

:rip: Sweet Sarge. :candle:

Luvmypitgirls
November 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
R.I.P. Sarge :candle:
My condolences for your loss yvvonem:sad:

growler~GateKeeper
November 10th, 2009, 04:10 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Sarge :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

spunkyduckling
November 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I can only imagine what you went through..though I've lost four pets of my own from a kid till now doesn't make it easier (and in your case) neither is seeing your animal slowly fade away

chico2
November 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
yvonnem,it was Sarges lucky day when he found a wonderful family like yours to care for him,I am sure he repaid you thousand folds:pawprint:
:rip:beautiful Sarge:candle:

Love4himies
November 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
:rip: Sarge :candle:.

pbpatti
November 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
:rip: Sarge, run free, what a great gift you gave and a great gift you received. :angel2:

edwina
November 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
:rip: Sarge :cry:

Nancyrb
November 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I just read your story and I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have just lost my precious cat and I share your pain. They give us so much and it all comes from the heart. Bless you. Rest in Peace Sarge. nancyrb

Ryan48
November 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
What a lucky dog that you found him and took him home. You gave him the best 5 years , I'm sure of it. I hope your heart mends quickly. It's hard when they pass. I know these rescues know we love them, I can see it and feel it with my own. God bless you for rescuing this beautiful boy.

RYAn