Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Willie is not feeling well

Tundra_Queen
November 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi

Willie has not been eating like he normally does for the past few days and he is losing weight again. He has one of these spells about once a year for 6 years.

One of the cats threw up a nasty fur ball this morning which I found when I came downstairs this morning. It had some weird looking stuff in it, sticks or something. Couldn't really tell and I have no idea what was eaten. I'm wondering if it was Willie, it was hard pointy things anyways.

I gave them all hair ball stuff yesterday and I guess that is what helped it come up.

I put down the food and willie just sniffs it and walks away. I even put parmasean cheese in it which he normally likes, but nope he still didn't eat it.

I had moved the food dishes around as Darby was eating everyone's food and starting to look like a sausage with a nose. So I had Mirabelle's and OS' upstairs on their shelf, and Willie's was in the bathroom. I was trying to keep Darby from eating so much, she is sort of compulsive about eating food.

Anyways, I didn't know if the moving food around had upset willie as it was in a different place. so he stopped eating or if his IBS is bothering him again.

I have been trying to get him off Prednizone for months now and he was down to 1 pill every six days, but I'm wondering if he will have to have it more often again. I always get worried when he loses weight.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. About how to keep Darby from eating everyone's food which also takes food away from Willie as Darby will eat up willie's. The feeding method here has been put the food down and they eat it as they like it.

So about the rambling but I'm having a hard time wording this.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear Willie is sick again, Debbie :grouphug:

:fingerscr SCM or growler will be on soon--they're so knowledgeable about cat health.

Sending :goodvibes: that he's just having a little flare up that will be under control soon!

catlover2
November 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I used to have a piggy cat too. He would gobble all his food down quickly and then go after the other cats' food. I put a laundry basket over him while he was eating, but he pushed it around and figured out he could push his paw under the rim and scarf food off the other cats' dishes. So I had to feed him separately in another room until the other cats had eaten all they wanted then all the dishes were picked up and put away until their next meal. You might have to do something like that to keep Darby from pigging out! :cat:

luckypenny
November 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Do cats go as gaga over green tripe as dogs do? If so, maybe you can entice Willie to eat more if you mix it into his regular food.

14+kitties
November 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I would be concerned if a cat was throwing up hard, pointy sticks. I guess it's hard to say which one it was.
I think to be on the safe side with Willie a trip to the vets would be advisable. Especially since he is on meds for IBS. Can you try inducing him to eat with some baby food? No onion in it of course. Maybe that and then gradually adding his food to it may help.
Cats are creatures of habit. Sometimes a small thing like moving their dishes may just do it too.

rainbow
November 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I hope Willie is okay :fingerscr ....big hugs to him. :grouphug:

I agree with 14+ and would take him to your vet for a checkup. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
November 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Have you tried Willie in his normal eating spot & moving Darby & her dish into the bedroom until everyone is finished?

Was Willie eating well before you moved him & his dish? Perhaps he's tired of the flavour :shrug:?

When was the last time Willie was at the vet for a checkup & bloodwork?

Do they cats go outside? or did they chew up leftover parts of the cat tree? or a twist tie?

Tundra_Queen
November 8th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm sorry to hear Willie is sick again, Debbie :grouphug:

:fingerscr SCM or growler will be on soon--they're so knowledgeable about cat health.

Sending :goodvibes: that he's just having a little flare up that will be under control soon!

Thanks hazel, I'm keeping a good eye on him.

I used to have a piggy cat too. He would gobble all his food down quickly and then go after the other cats' food. I put a laundry basket over him while he was eating, but he pushed it around and figured out he could push his paw under the rim and scarf food off the other cats' dishes. So I had to feed him separately in another room until the other cats had eaten all they wanted then all the dishes were picked up and put away until their next meal. You might have to do something like that to keep Darby from pigging out! :cat:

Thanks Catlover2, I might start doing that putting Darby into our bedroom and leaving the food down for only so long. My cats don't eat fast, they all just pick at their food a bit at a time, except for Darby of course.

Do cats go as gaga over green tripe as dogs do? If so, maybe you can entice Willie to eat more if you mix it into his regular food.

LP, I don't know if I can get green tripe up here, though I haven't asked at the grocery store. I only found out what it was a few days ago. But I will ask about it.

Tundra_Queen
November 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I would be concerned if a cat was throwing up hard, pointy sticks. I guess it's hard to say which one it was.
I think to be on the safe side with Willie a trip to the vets would be advisable. Especially since he is on meds for IBS. Can you try inducing him to eat with some baby food? No onion in it of course. Maybe that and then gradually adding his food to it may help.
Cats are creatures of habit. Sometimes a small thing like moving their dishes may just do it too.

Thanks 14+...I think I'm going to move everyone's dishes back to where they were cause even Mirabelle and OS haven't been eating as much as they use too. I think I will just move Darby's into our bathroom upstairs off our bedroom or even in our bedroom so only one cat will have a change instead of 3.

I have notieced that the cats have been down in the basement quite often lately and they might have been chewing on wood down there. Hubs keeps forgetting to close it off when he goes to gets Tegan's food.

I got Willie to eat some food tonight by brushing him while he was eating and he ate longer. I have been putting fish oil in his food and I was wondering if maybe he found that he didn't like it?

I hope Willie is okay :fingerscr ....big hugs to him. :grouphug:

I agree with 14+ and would take him to your vet for a checkup. :thumbs up

If he doesn't start eating better I am going to call the vet on Monday.

Have you tried Willie in his normal eating spot & moving Darby & her dish into the bedroom until everyone is finished?

Was Willie eating well before you moved him & his dish? Perhaps he's tired of the flavour :shrug:?

When was the last time Willie was at the vet for a checkup & bloodwork?

Do they cats go outside? or did they chew up leftover parts of the cat tree? or a twist tie?

Growler I have put the dishes back in place and I will be moving Darby's upstairs.

Willie was eating pretty good before I moved the dishes. I don't know if he's tired of his flavours or not. Though I do try and give the cats different flavours every day.

Willie figured out a few days ago how to eat turkey chunks! He never would eat it when I put it in his dish, but I found out if I put it on the soft couch, on a towel he will eat it. I guess in the dish he couldn't push the food down enough to get a grip. Anyways since then was when he really started turning his nose at his food. So maybe he just wants people food. tonight I made a pork roast and he ate a few chunks of that, still not a ton of food, but much more meat than he ever has before.

I can't remember when Willie got a blood test done. I think it was about a year ago, when he stopped eating and started losing weight the last time. All the blood work came back normal then. maybe he is just bored of his food, as he has been eating the same kind for a year now,,just different flavours different days.

All our cats are indoor cats. I'm wondering if he has eaten some wood from the basement. Like I said before, he goes thru this once every year or 18 months. I am going to call the vet and ask her if I should start giving him the prednizone more often than 6 days. Maybe he will just have to be one of the cats that has to always be on it.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
How did he do today, TQ? Any improvement? :goodvibes:

onster
November 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
aww sorry to hear he's feeling poorly.

has he started to eat better? :fingerscr

rainbow
November 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Willie

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I hope Willie starts to feel better:pray:. All these furries have got to stop getting sick!

Tundra_Queen
November 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
How did he do today, TQ? Any improvement? :goodvibes:

He did better today. *touch wood* He ate much more than he has been eating so I'm hoping he is on the mend and will gain the weight back.
I tried to give him some pork roast tonight, but he wouldn't eat it. But he was on the floor not the couch and surrounded by the other piggies. :D

aww sorry to hear he's feeling poorly.

has he started to eat better? :fingerscr

Thanks Onster. Yes he is eating more and he was chasing Mirabelle around the house until I locked him in the bedroom with me, so he wouldn't burn up all the calories he just ate. *S*

:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Willie

Thanks rainbow, I'm hoping he has turned the corner and will keep eating. He was playing with toys today too,,moving the carpets all over to get at the toys..he loves those springs u sent! :laughing:

I hope Willie starts to feel better:pray:. All these furries have got to stop getting sick!

Thanks AC. He started sneezing tonight so I hope he's not catching our cold. My cough is getting very bad and I hope that isn't contagious. I'm still watching him closely.

Debbie