Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad Bad furmommy I am...

krdahmer
November 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I feel like such a jerk....:sad: First off I let Lucky (now Mickey, for Mickey Blue Eyes, tried out Frank and Sinatra too but he seems to like Mickey) out with my guys during the day to try and tire him out so that he will sleep in his room at night, my guys are NOT impressed, but seem to be adjusting a little. Then I decided that when I ran out of their food, I was going to switch to California Naturals Dry and more wet food, seeing as all the money spent on duck food has made no difference in Fagan's skin issues in 4 years (also the switch is gonna save us some money which we desperately need right now)..... so now you get the picture...the cats are stressed out and at least 3 of them have the poops. :wall: I'm such an idiot....one change is bad enough at a time....let alone two big ones!

Then to top it all off, I finally got around to checking Buddy's teeth, which I usually do every morning, but I've been busy and distracted with work and money and hissy fights, and he somehow managed to break his right canine nearly in half!:cry::sad: So I suspect part of his hissing and growling is because he's sore and cranky!!! :sad: So I called the vet's (who I still owe $ for Fagan\s meds) and they insisted I bring him in Monday, money or no.:angel:

And of course I've been loving up Buddy so much he's getting irritated with me too!:rolleyes::o

(and pics of Mickey's outings will be in the pic section soon as I download them!)

Frenchy
November 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
awwww krdahmer , give yourself a break ! We live in stressfull times. And it's hard when you have a multipets family !

if it can make you feel better :

I was at the vet this morning with Bailey for his fourth cartrophen injection , when the vet asked me if I was seeing any changes , I told her that I wasn't sure :o I just can't tell !!! :o sometimes I think so , other times nope :shrug: oh and .... I left without paying !!! :loser: I called them but they were already close.

also this week , it happens twice while I was on the phone , I had to cut the person with whom I was speaking to go outside in a panic and call Nelly (and the other time was Jack) I couldn't see them anymore ..... of course I couldn't , because they were already inside :wall:

:loser:

don't worry about the food and poop , it will get better in a few days :cat:

diandpat
November 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I agree with Frenchy...cut yourself some slack. Sounds like you are getting through the day and sometimes that's as good as it gets ;)

French, too funny about the dogs already being inside :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Life is already busy and all these little furkids relying on us makes it that much more busy.

Nothing sounds catastrophic so just wait until it all falls into place again...and it always does :thumbs up

krdahmer
November 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
:laughing: I bet the doggies were amused by that one Frenchy!!! Too cute.

Thanks guys, I know it's nothing horrible, I just feel like a dork because I know better...ya know?:o

I'm worried about Buddy's teeth though because we had them cleaned and one extracted two years ago, and when he had his lump out a year ago the vet said they were bad again, but we opted not to clean them because of the money....and now we're even worse off money wise, so if he needs an extraction, of course it'll get done....but man, we're gonna have to start pooping $100 bills or something here!:rolleyes::laughing:

krdahmer
November 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Poor guy...

hazelrunpack
November 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ouch! :eek: How the heck did he do that, I wonder! Poor baby :grouphug:

I love your vet. :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: for Buddy's tooth and for everyone's tummies! And a bit :grouphug: for Mom!

krdahmer
November 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Vet said yesturday that the nerve/pulp of the tooth is exposed so if he's in pain or it is causing him problems when eating or it gets infected it will have to come out. But if he can keep it, that's ok too, because when they remove a canine other problems arise, like the lip curling in and the bottom canine breaking the skin on the upper lip that curls in and causing a callous over time. So I'm going to keep cleaning his teeth with the gel they gave me, and just keep an eye out for behaviour change and signs of infection, so all in all not as bad as I thought.:thumbs up

Oh and the rescue guy called today, he said to give him a reminder call next week about getting Mickey fixed & vaccinated, and said he thinks he'll probably get adopted really quick.....which made me sad! :rolleyes: I made sure to stress that he can stay here as long as needs be...:D:laughing: I mentioned also bringing him to the weekend adoptathons, he really doesn't do well in a cage so I'd rather he not have to stay in one at petsmart, if I do the adoptathons I can take him home at night. I forsee a whole lot of tears when this guy finds his home! :o

sugarcatmom
November 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Vet said yesturday that the nerve/pulp of the tooth is exposed so if he's in pain or it is causing him problems when eating or it gets infected it will have to come out.

If the pulp is exposed, that tooth is going to have to come out eventually. Maybe not immediately, but trust me, it's inevitable. Aztec similarly broke the tip of his canine off several years ago and because of diabetes and heart issues (his, not mine), it took me about 3 years before I was able to have it removed. In that time, bacteria had infected the pulp of the tooth and the root had started fusing to the bone. Apparently it was quite an ordeal to remove.

when they remove a canine other problems arise, like the lip curling in and the bottom canine breaking the skin on the upper lip that curls in and causing a callous over time.

That does happen, but what the vet should do when the canine is removed is fill the hole where the root was with something like bone alloplastic (synthetic "scaffolding" that encourages new bone growth). This lessens the dip left by the absence of the canine. There may still be a tendency for the upper lip to catch on the lower canine, and yes, a callous does eventually develop, but this is a considerably less painful process than living with an abscessed tooth. Another option is to have a root canal done (believe it or not, there are veterinary dentists that can do this). It is way more expensive though.

This isn't meant to scare you, and it looks like you have a good handle on it, but I just wanted to prepare you for the likelihood that the tooth is going to have to come out at some point.

Here's a pic of Aztec doing his Billy Idol sneer:

Frenchy
November 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Vet said yesturday that the nerve/pulp of the tooth is exposed

if it's the same pain as for humans ..... ouch ! it happened to me twice (same tooth) but if he's eating , means it's not so bad. Good luck with him :fingerscr and for Mickey to get adopted :fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
November 10th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I hear yah on the poops situaton right now! :yell: :yell: Both Gryphon & Mollie have had the squirts for the past 2 days! :frustrated: Hope it's not the Niagara air? :shrug:

Keeping the :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr's for Buddy's tooth. :pray: