Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing Fits - Worried

onster
November 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I came back home on Thursday and was sitting in the room while Bunduk was on his cat tree. All of a sudden he sneezed like 20 times in a row - no exaggeration! My mom SIL and I were all literally stunned waiting for him to finish.

I thought it was kinda funny thought oh poor boy he's getting one his colds again. Sure enough he's been sniffly for the last few days.

Just now he was in the kitchen and I was in the living room. All of a sudden I heard him again having a sneezing fit.

I'm ok with bunduk getting colds, he was always gets them (herpes virus) and I supplement with L-Lysine but the sneezing fits are new!

I just googled sneezing fits in cats :eek: and now im freaking out..everything from allergies (but what could he be allergic to? nothing is new??), to URI to nasal cancer?? and oral health problems/abscesses in the mouth!

Normally i dont take bunduk to the vet when he gets his colds...do you guys think i should considering the sneezing fits are new? Or should I wait a few days see if the cold runs its course? Does anyone have a cat with recurring colds that gets sneezing fits?

luckypenny
November 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Was there anything else happening at the time or just prior to his sneezing? Someone put on perfume, spray with an air freshener, open a window, light or just put out a candle, etc?

Both times, was he in his cat tree?

Unless he seems to be having difficulty breathing or has a mucousy discharge, I think it'd be ok for you to wait and see if it gets worse (or better) by the end of the weekend.

Your such a good kitty mom, Onster :grouphug:.

lindapalm
November 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
We have a cat that sneezes 20-30 times in a row. He gets sinus infections, and has to go on antibiotics. Can you hear yours breathing heavy? Thats a first sign with ours, and it doesn't get better on its own.

onster
November 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi LP,

The first time he was on his cat tree and I had just head butted him (what? he loves it :p)/ he was licking my hair (grooming me). My mom joked after he must be allergic to my shampoo or something. then my SIL told me about a cat which got H1N1 :eek:

The 2nd time I was in the adjacent room and he was just standing on the kitchen tiles when I went to check on him. After he was done his sneezing fit he just shook his head licked his nose...went over to his food..sniffed it, walked away. I got a little worried thinking maybe he wasnt having much of an appetite but then as soon as I opened the treat drawer he was first in line :rolleyes:

He isn't having difficulty breathing nor does there seem to be discharge when he sneezes...but its hard to tell because he licks his nose right after potentially cleaning up the discharge :yuck: Sometimes when he gets his cold the first few signs are one of his eyes gets watery but his eyes are both clear now.

As for his breathing, it sounds like 'his' fine. His fine is always noisy when he's lying down (weird not noisy when he's out and about)... with his untreated Upper resp at the shelter when he was a baby he had damage to his nasal passages so he is a noisy breather.

I checked his ears/paws, they feel cool so no temp running or anything.

I think I'll wait and see what happens over the weekend. i took out some chicken backs/bones from their stash in the freezer and I'm going to make him a plain chicken broth. Just gave him some L-Lysine.

krdahmer
November 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Palomine has bad sinuses....always has little crusty boogers around his nostrils etc... and has sneezing fits on and off, what helped him was something my vet suggested, taking him in the bathroom with me while I shower...the warm steam helps to moisturize his nose and dislodge some of his crusties. I usually wait when one of the kitties is sneezing, unless it's accompanied by other symptoms, because it does seem like they get almost seasonal colds like we do, and they usually clear up within a week on their own. I'm sort of the same way myself, I try to always avoid the use of antibiotics if possible. Hope Bunduk is better soon! :goodvibes:

luckypenny
November 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
An alternative scenario here...."Mommy just got home, what do I have in my reperatoire that can guarantee I'll have her undivided attention all weekend long?" :D

onster
November 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
We have a cat that sneezes 20-30 times in a row. He gets sinus infections, and has to go on antibiotics. Can you hear yours breathing heavy? Thats a first sign with ours, and it doesn't get better on its own.

Thanks for the reply lindapalm. Do you know other symptoms of sinus infections? I don't want to google so I don't freak out.

I hope he doesnt have to go on more antibiotics, he's been on more antibiotics in his 3 yrs than all my previous cats combined!

onster
November 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
definitely agree with u on the antibiotics KR. Bunduk doesn't have any nose crusties though. He loves sitting behind the shower door when I shower...then he rushes to me after I'm done and licks my legs dry :crazy::rolleyes: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it :thumbs up

LP u made me laugh :D:laughing: It really is a possibility :p He has really mastered the art of punishing me too. Thurs night I kept putting him on my bed to cuddle in bed with me and he would jump right off :frustrated:. Lights were off and I heard him lap up some water...waited for him to come back to bed..nothing. Called and called for him. Nothing. 5 mins later I couldnt take it anymore :yell: got out of bed tuned the lights on...looked for him all over my room ( he always used to stay in my room if not on my bed then under my desk or in a corner). Where was he? Just outside my door, positioned himself so he could see into my room and me, without actually going inside :rolleyes: He would not stay with me! Next day he was good tho..cold shoulder treatment over :D

lindapalm
November 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
My cat would rub his nose red. He ended up having dental infections every time he got the sinus infections. The vet said it was something in his immune system that was attacking sinus and teeth. After three tries he ended up having all his teeth pulled, they couldn't be saved. We have to watch out for heavy breathing and sneezing and bring him in before the sinus problem gets as bad as it was this time. He was feral when we got him, I blame poor nutrition in the first year of his life on his mmune system problems. Wait for a week or two and see what happens.

Tundra_Queen
November 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Onster, I'm sorry to hear about Bunduk.

Has your mom changed cleaning products? Does she use carpet powder? If she has changed her products, maybe that is what is making him sneeze?

Debbie

onster
November 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
TQ, no my mom hasnt changed anything. We buy all our cleaning prods from costco in bulk so they last us months!

lindapalm, thanks again for all the info and advice. Have you tried giving ure guy immune supplements?

Update: Bunduk's appetite is somewhat affected. Somewhat cuz he wont eat hsi catfood with his usual vigor:shrug: but then ate lots of pasta and bread, literally swiping it off my plate (plain pasta). I know nutritionally there isnt really anything there for cats, but he really wasnt taking no for an answer! He hasn't had another sneezing fit but his noisy breathing has certainly gone up a notch....

I'll be taking him in to the vet tomorrow just in case :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Good luck at the vets tomorrow. I hope your boy is going to be okay. :pray::pray:

onster
November 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I feel horrible but I can't help but laugh. He's fast asleep on his cat tree and the nasal whistles/ snores coming out of that kid!

I wish I had my vid camera to share with u guys. its just so cute. I just wanna wake him up so I can smooch him!

But I have to let him get some rest :sick::grouphug:

onster
November 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
thank u AG:grouphug: he does have such a fragile immune system

rainbow
November 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I just seen this thread now :o .....poor Bunduk, I hope he is okay. :grouphug: :fingerscr

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
:goodvibes: for Bunduk's vet trip tomorrow and a quick recovery! :cat: