Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat just had kittens, I have questions?

mitchi236
August 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
I'm a new kitty grandma and have never had kittens before. My story is that I rescued this cat, chicken, and she was more or less just an out door cat that would come in for food and love/attention, we finally noticed that she was getting bigger but didn't know if it was because she was malnutritioned before and gaining or what, but then figured out that she was pregnant. She just had 5 babies friday night (one still-born) and is doing quit well adapting to motherhood, will she decide when they come out in the open, should I make a bed for them and her to be cozy in or what? I just don't know, this is all new to me and I don't want to do anything that will effect the natural bonding process between her and her kittens. Help please.

Michelle :p

Lucky Rescue
August 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Where is this cat now? IF she is outside, bring her inside and give her a private place to care for her kittens. Other than feeding (and give her as much as she wants to eat) and cleaning the litterbox, just leave her be for a few days.

If you don't bring the kittens inside and if they don't see people or get handled by the time their eyes open, they will be wild.

Keep the mother cat in, because she can go back into heat before the kittens are even weaned, and get pregnant again. You can take her to have her spayed when her milk dries up.

mitchi236
August 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure to which of these two questions I'm replying to but she did have them inside, their in the back of my closet behind a shoe rack and are visible but she is still being protective of them, ofcoarse. Chicken is a very friendly cat, it makes me wonder if she did live with a family at some point and was left behind or what because she is not shy and loves being pet and pawed over, she is a little skittish at times but I think thats just because when we started letting her in, she had obviously been abused badly by another animal. Her upper eye was cut open and her little face was beat up, other than that she's a super sweet, cute, loving cat. I'm just wondering if I should just let her do her thing or is there something I should be doing, I do leave my window open a tiny bit so she can go out side, but usually when she does it's just for a couple of minutes and then she's right back to her babies. I plan on taking her to the vet to get fixed just as soon as she's done nursing and hope she's doesn't get pregnant again. I do have to wait for her to finish nursing before I can do that right?

Michelle

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Just provide her with a litter box and you can shut the window. She could easily get pregnant again. Spay her when possible and no more worries! :)