November 7th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Rocky had his regular T4 a couple of weeks ago and the vet decided to take him off the 1/2 tapazole at lunch-time.
The vet thought his results were too low,however the test was taken only 3 hours after he got his meds.
My old vets wanted to test him 8 hours after he'd taken his meds:confused:
Now,the results on Rocky,edgy,pacing,even gone back to spraying:yell:
I am thinking of putting him back on the 1/2 mid-day,he was doing so good,gained weight,nice soft fur,I'm afraid in this state he'll lose weight again.
I know you strongly believe in the Iodine treament,unfortunately it's not an option for Rocky.
I will try to get a hold of my vet later on,what do you think??
Could 1/2 pill make such a huge difference?
November 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Oh, poor Rocky :grouphug:. Chico, you know your kitties better than the vet does. Have you tried calling the vet?
Hopefully Growler or SCM will log on soon. :pray:
November 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
L4H,yes,I know Rockys behavior very well and this is not good for either him or me.
I will give him 1/2 pill at lunch just like before,I feel so sorry for him,he can obviously not relax:sad:
November 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Is it possible to get Rocky's latest T4 value from the vet? I also agree that a recheck would be a good idea. Perhaps 1/2 pill is too much, but no pill is not enough. Maybe 1/4 would be the happy medium. But if you think Rocky is better on the meds, this could be a case of "treat the cat, not the numbers" (within reason).
November 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Chico, no advice but just wanted to pass on good wishes and :grouphug:
November 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ditto for me...no ideas but a bunch of :grouphug: for you and :pray::goodvibes: for Rocky!
November 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
SCM,I gave him 1/2 a pill at lunch today,could not get a hold of my vet,he's very busy Saturday,but maybe he'll call later.
Rocky was doing really good before,gained 1 lb and his fur was great,now he again has a somewhat greasy fur and is very agitated,at night he just conks out as if he is really tired.
I'll try to get his latest testresults from a couple of weeks ago.
I'd like to avoid another vet-visit this soon,he gets really traumatised every time.
You know,just with that half pill today,he's already doing better:confused:
Thank's for helping out SCM and KR,Onster,L4H,thank's!!!
November 8th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Sorry Chico I work Saturdays so I can't get on until late as per usual during the week.
Do you have the actual T4 number from the last test & what was it the test before?
What is the dose Rocky is on? How many times a day does he get 1/2 a pill?
As SCM mentioned instead of dropping a 1/2 pill at a time, a slower decrease would be ideal. What would be ideal is to evenly decrease the amount of meds throughout the day from each dose. This way there is still a consistant amount of meds in his system instead of the meds level being up & down all day and "crashing" during lunch when he doesn't get any & making him cranky.
As for missing 1/2 pill does that make a difference? If it was only 1 dose that was skipped probably wouldn't be very noticable at all. But Rocky has essentially "skipped a dose" every day for the last couple of weeks - that will make a difference in the T4 level because the overall amount of meds he got in this past 2 weeks has changed by a fair amount from the amount of meds he got in a 2 week period say 3 months ago.
Give him the 1/2 pill @ lunch time until you can talk to the vet & explain the symptoms that have returned during the weeks his dose was reduced by 1/2 pill. Then your vet can work out whether a slightly lower dose overall during the day would be suitable for Rocky :grouphug:
November 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Growler,no worry,thank's for replying:cat:
I do not have his latest test-results from October 8th,but that's when the vet decided to take him off the mid-day 1/2 pill.
I have to go and get more pills and will ask for a print-out then.
He was getting one 5mg pill in the morning,the half pill mid-day and another 5mg pill at dinner.
So,all together 2 and 1/2 per day.
He gets extremely stressed at the vet:sad:
November 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
See if you can also get the T4 number for the test that was prior to Oct (July?) that will give a comparision to see how much the level has dropped from July? - Oct.
I would talk to the vet about maybe cutting the lunch pill down to 1/4 (daily total 2 1/4) see how he does on that for 2 weeks & see if that results in the same symptoms Rocky has been displaying or if that clears them up. If that is successful then you can try cutting the lunch pill out or reducing the breakfast dose by 1/4 so there is still a fairly consistant amount of meds in his system (3/4 breakfast, 1/4 lunch, 1 dinner for a daily total of 2). Ricky may do well on 2 pills a day but it may need to be more gradual in lowering the dose.
If you aren't using one already you may think about getting a pill splitter to make cutting the smaller size easier.
November 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thank you Growler,I will see if I can get the test-printouts when I get Rockys meds,probably wednesday and I'll talk to the vet about what you suggested.
Right now,it's been 3 days,since I started him on 1/2 lunchpill again and he's been doing very good,no more spraying or pacing.
November 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Growler,a new girl in the vets office,my hubby went up there for me and he could only get the latest T4 result,so nothing to compare with.
Anyway,his T4 was at 8 and Reference is 11-51,so his was low.
Hubby also told the vet what happened after we cut Rocky off the 1/2 pill,so he said,the timing of the test might have made the difference and that I could continue with the 1/2 until the next test.